Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Brisket prices are $1.95/lb. What a temptation to buy 2-4 a month and fill up a chest freezer or 2.

Being the pessimistic fatalist I am, though, I can just see that as a begging to the Gods that once the freezer is full, "Come on! Knock out the power grid for a month or two!".

So maybe having one of those drum like outdoor grills is a good investment, especially since they tend to run under $300.

So how should one think about these big emergency cooking, cowgirl style, facilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I'd buy a back up generator.

Peace. Of. Mind

Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I'd buy a back up generator.

Peace. Of. Mind
I have that all ready. A diesel one capable of running farm irrigation.

Like I said, I'm a pessimistic fatalist and if the Gods are going to strike down my power, they are going to do it in a DOOZY of a way!

So, back to the question, what about the grill?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
...So maybe having one of those drum like outdoor grills is a good investment, especially since they tend to run under $300...
The lightweight versions are under $300. My offset cooker is made from 1/4" steel, so it weighs a ton and was priced way above $300.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The lightweight versions are under $300. My offset cooker is made from 1/4" steel, so it weighs a ton and was priced way above $300.
So what are the advantages and disadvantages? What can it cook? What kind of fuels are we talking here? I mean, it is a ranch, I have plenty of wood.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
This once happened to me in the dead of summer when I lived in an apartment. A generator wasn't an option for me. I ended up grilling as much of the food as I could as it thawed, stored it in a cooler overnight and refrigerated it at work for lunches and snacks.

OP, if you have neighbors or many friends the grilling thing is even more reasonable. As for material, I have cooked on everything from a gas grill to an offset smoker to a small portable kettle grill. The only difference for me was heat source (gas v charcoal). If you can man a grill it only needs to be as big and fancy as you'd like it to be.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
If it's charcoal and that's what you really want then go for it. I prefer a gas grill and besides that I have only cooked on gas grills. Not saying the flavor of meats on a charcoal grill isn't great tasting I am just used to gas. I have a NG weber grill with smoker and rotisserie attachments.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If it's charcoal and that's what you really want then go for it. I prefer a gas grill and besides that I have only cooked on gas grills. Not saying the flavor of meats on a charcoal grill isn't great tasting I am just used to gas. I have a NG weber grill with smoker and rotisserie attachments.
The house stove runs on gas and my tank has so far lasted me since December.......but I am looking at the worse case situation where even the gas people can't get out to me.

As I said, it is a ranch, LOTS of wood around.

Got to run to dance class, back to this later this evening.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So what are the advantages and disadvantages? What can it cook? What kind of fuels are we talking here? I mean, it is a ranch, I have plenty of wood.
The lightweight offset cookers don't maintain temperature as well as the heavy steel offsets. I only burn wood in mine (AKA "stick-burner"), and I use a burn barrel to render the wood to coals, which I shovel into the firebox.

I cook low-and-slow at 225°F - 250°F to render the fat and collagen from the meats. This results in a well-flavored, tender, and moist product. The offset cookers are great at cooking any type of meat that fits into the cooking chamber.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The lightweight offset cookers don't maintain temperature as well as the heavy steel offsets. I only burn wood in mine (AKA "stick-burner"), and I use a burn barrel to render the wood to coals, which I shovel into the firebox.

I cook low-and-slow at 225°F - 250°F to render the fat and collagen from the meats. This results in a well-flavored, tender, and moist product. The offset cookers are great at cooking any type of meat that fits into the cooking chamber.
Low and slow here as well, 250ish for 7 hours, in the oven.

WHICH came up on an interesting thought as I drove to dance. In the event of a loss of power, the stove top burners will still work, will need to light them externally, but the oven may not since its controls are electronic digital. So unless I can get another power source to the stove (generator, solar batteries), the oven feature may be out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink