Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you make your burgers?
Premade fresh or frozen beef patties 18 16.98%
Ground beef and make your own patties 88 83.02%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:26 PM

16,396 posts, read 30,310,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
These critters may be destined for
Frozen burger patties on a national level but
I've been a meat supervisor over 25. Years for hundreds
Of grocery stores. And butcher shops. And
Have never seen a critter you described used for burger

In dairy regions, there are a lot of old dairy cows that are sold for ground beef. Several of my friends worked in slaughterhouses in Detroit and that is what they bought and sold. A lot of the meat is also canned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Oh when it is burger time it is "shape and do your own" I don't know why, but it seems wrong to buy them already formed and the flavor isn't the same. I like to season them, mix the seasoning up as I am forming them and on the grill they go. The exception I guess is with a large crowd. I do understand the ready made patties then. This afternoon we will be at our granddaughters and her family's for a BD party. I can pretty much guarantee you, the patties will be frozen or maybe fresh right out of WalMarts meat or frozen food section. I doubt she would take the time to form them and it is a sure thing her hubby wouldn't. He has all he can do to turn on the grill, get the burgers on and flip them before he burns them up.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh when it is burger time it is "shape and do your own" I don't know why, but it seems wrong to buy them already formed and the flavor isn't the same. I like to season them, mix the seasoning up as I am forming them and on the grill they go. The exception I guess is with a large crowd. I do understand the ready made patties then. This afternoon we will be at our granddaughters and her family's for a BD party. I can pretty much guarantee you, the patties will be frozen or maybe fresh right out of WalMarts meat or frozen food section. I doubt she would take the time to form them and it is a sure thing her hubby wouldn't. He has all he can do to turn on the grill, get the burgers on and flip them before he burns them up.
thanks for the chuckle!!

i have "lean friends" that buy the leanest burger available and its always dry and tasteless..
but they were gracious to invite us so i dont criticize unless asked ....when the men are together the husband has asked me about the burger and i tell him... why they are so dry and he said his wife insists to buy the leanest because she thinks its the "healthiest"

for many events ive helped cooked burgers for promotions and even big family gatherings..
a couple times during a parade and old hometown days we are grilling up hundreds.thousands of patties and we make by hand

when you have a grill filled with burgers over and over the flare ups easily happen..
here is a tip for anyone doing this

if you want to cook/prepare burgers ahead of time ....for a huge crowd .... to avoid flare ups) put the cooked patties in a slow cookers with beef broth/stock this keeps them warm/moist and flavorful!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
For veggie burgers or salmon burgers, I find that premade ones works out a lot better than trying to preform your own.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM

16,396 posts, read 30,310,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thanks for the chuckle!!

i have "lean friends" that buy the leanest burger available and its always dry and tasteless..
but they were gracious to invite us so i dont criticize unless asked ....when the men are together the husband has asked me about the burger and i tell him... why they are so dry and he said his wife insists to buy the leanest because she thinks its the "healthiest"

That sounds like my wife. I do 98% of all of our grocery shopping. However, every once in a while, my wife will find a "deal" and I have to cook with it.

I asked her to buy 80/20 ground chuck. Instead, she bought 90/10 ground round. I was not happy. However, why fight it? The first night, we had hamburgers and complained that ... the burgers were dry and not flavorful. Later that week, I used the rest for chili. Again, complaints about the chili.

That has not happened again!!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:25 PM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Make our own patties here, 2 inches thick and add onions and other spices for extra flavoring. Yummmy!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 AM

38,925 posts, read 22,931,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I tend to find it easier just to buy premade fresh beef patties for making burgers. I often find it messy to buy plain ground beef then add other stuff to form patties.
This is what I do whenever I make burgers at home. Although I will admit the ones made from ground beef and formed by hand have a fresher and more homemade flavor.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:35 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,872,552 times
buy the ground beef and make our own patties with additives (like the person cooking for her kids)- my SO isn't a huge meat fan so I add crackers, onion, a little worchester sauce, and whatever other seasonings strike my fancy (right now its smoked paprika), and an egg (makes it fluffy and light)- turns it into a mini meatloaf kinda thing.
Cooked to medium and still juicy- mmmm mmmm good!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,453,798 times
Here's the deal - ideally, I prefer to grind my own and shape the patties. If there is a great sale on beef then I will buy several pounds and grind them down. I get to monitor exactly what goes into the grind so I don't chomp down on something really disgusting as happens with commercial patties.

Other times, I will get the grass-fed beef patties, even though it's a bit more costly at least the taste is superior and I've yet to find anything to spit out like with commercial patties. Plus, I've bought them for half price when they were close to expiration, making them cheaper than the regular beef patties.

At my daughter's end of year school picnic, they were grilling patties from a big bag (I'm guessing Costco) and as a volunteer they offered me one. I had it and must say, after years of avoiding these types of burgers I was reminded why - the consistency of the meat was quite repulsive and the taste was so bland.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:44 PM

19,551 posts, read 9,563,880 times
I can see an argument for either. Some of the preformed ones are speciaties, like Wahlburgers.

I've also made our own too using the ground beef method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink