Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times

Advertisements

I really love peaches. I don't think I truly had a good on until we lived in Texas for a few years. The best thing Ever!

Since then it's been like the search for the holy grail. I am usually disappointed. Smells fresh, looks good, has right texture and firmness. Then bite into it and yuck. In the past 20 years only lucked out once for a few weeks at a local smallish grocery store.

I am sure some peach growers could get together and make a killing at farmers markets here in Minnesota with some real Peaches (no to the nectarines) My dad loves fresh oyster and used to get flyers from some guy that would drive up from the gulf and sell them out of the back of his truck for a few days every week during season. Maybe same can be done for peaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
If you can't get any local good ones try Saturn peaches. They generally tend to be sweet, juicy (and not mealy) whatever their source.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:41 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
We're not very well suited for growing peaches. But they will grow in Southern MN.

Some years back a truck farmer in Vernon Center, I believe, grew them but I don't see that he has them now. They'd have to have a lot of special care in this climate and still they'd be a risk.

I use the Colorado free stone from the grocery stores for canning. The eating ones are hit and miss.

Haven't been to the State Fair for some years now but for quite a while they had an outdoor stand south on the grounds of the Agriculture Building that sold a variety of Washington peach that was huge, juicy and tasty. They were very nice and worth the wait and drive.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If you can't get any local good ones try Saturn peaches. They generally tend to be sweet, juicy (and not mealy) whatever their source.
Also known as "Donut peaches." I buy them from WalMart every year at this time. YUM!!!

Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
I'll have to see if Walmart in Minnesota sells the donut peaches, that's a easy name to remember.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I'll have to see if Walmart in Minnesota sells the donut peaches, that's a easy name to remember.
They're sold in blister packs of six and/or loose. If you try them you won't be sorry.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Sometimes I still keep them in a brown bag for a few days if they're not soft. They are a better bet than the usual supermarket trash.

My other suggestion is if you save up your entire year's peach budget you could probably order a case from someplace online. You'd only get a few, but they might be worth it. Maybe you have a birthday in peach season?

Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Peaches are like so many other fruits, a good one is just unbelievably delicious. But, so many look great but are mealy or not ripe enough. A great cantaloupe is hard to beat too.

It's also not that easy to choose a good one when there are some good ones to choose from. Peaches and cantaloupe should be great from around here yet it's still difficult not to end up at home and disappointed.

Well, we all know that avocados take some experience to choose the right ones for when you plan to eat them. Trial and error is the only way I guess.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Also known as "Donut peaches." I buy them from WalMart every year at this time. YUM!!!
I'd never had these before but I bought two of them from my grocery store yesterday. I just ate one. OMG! Now I have to go back and buy their entire inventory.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:30 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Home grown is the only way to go. My mom wouldn't let us even bring them into the house, had to eat them outside, with the juice dripping off our elbows. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink