Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times

Advertisements

if it's dry, it's probably overcooked. use a thermometer to make sure you're at the right temperature (um...165? that's for thighs)

Brining (soaking in water, salt, and sugar) can keep breasts moister, too. America's Test Kitchen has used that in a number of recipes.

I stopped eating red meat, so I eat chicken thighs--sometimes with the skin on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:25 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
They are pumped full of solution and god knows what else.

Watch some videos about commercial chicken production if you never want to eat chicken again.

And soon we will be getting chinas crap chicken from a trade deal. Like our own crap chicken isntvalready bad enough.
Nonsense. If anything is added it must be labeled. Your end-of-the-world scenario is pointless.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
the big push to lean and low fat gave us boneless chicken breasts popularity..

lean and low fat usually means low taste/flavor

to the op.... if you buy on price... and boneless breasts are like 1.39-1.69lb you could be buying a number 2 boneless breast....meaning their is nothing wrong with it to eat,,,but its all different sizes...or has a small cut in it somewhere,,,,these the poultry companies will sell on discount to the stores

i buy in bulk and freeze this is still the most economical way for me..

and i do like breasts, i will often slice/butterfly and stuff ...can be with stuffing or cordon bleu with ham/cheese...or sometimes i slow cook and add bbq sauce for pulled chicken,,,

boneless breasts are great for high protein diets..... i also grind them for ground chicken and even make sausage but add some flavoring

if you want chicken more flavorful and juicy buy the thighs....one of my favorites.

also for bone in skin on chicken.... parts are good- i grill split chicken breasts all summer long ....slather with bbq sauce they are perfect for one serving

Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
I actually like the boneless breasts. What works for me is a couple of different ways of cooking them. For grilled, I slice them at least in half or thinner. Looking at the shape, by the time the thick part is cooked all the way through, the rest has gotten dried out and rubbery. By cutting thin you get a nice, even cook with less drying out.

The other way, which is surprisingly easy, is the BBQ chicken in aluminum foil method. You know, season them, pour on some BBQ sauce of whatever flavor you like, wrap in foil and throw on the grill for half an hour or so. Come out flavorful and juicy every time. And very little clean up to boot.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is why people only ate chicken breasts that had skin and bone attached. Removing it is just another fad.
yes, this is fairly true. I am sure there are those who honestly do not want anything but nice firm chicken breasts with now skin or bone, but most of s, over about 60 rem ember when the best part of the chicken was the skin. My how we have changed. I am one of those who prefer the thigh anyway. I cook both, depending on what I am fixing and why. Our oldest granddaughter only eats boneless, skinless breasts period. She isn't a meat eater. She will eat a taco or burger from time to time, but mostly just chicken breasts.

OP: you can imagine, living in AR how many chicken outlet store we have. I was using one particular one because the price was so cheap. Well, after the last couple of times getting inferior chicken, not even close in uniform pieces of breasts I have decided to spend a little more for good quality.

Madison999- everyone has his/her own opinion but don't believe all you read. Most of the chicken we eat is perfectly healthy and very tasty. If you buy from one of the major producers like Purdue or Tyson you get quality.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-22-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
I laugh because people started buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts so they weren't paying for bone and skin. Then the distributor got wise and upped the price so you might as well buy bone-in, skin-on and get some of the flavor in the meat when you cook it.

I prefer thighs and buy a ton when they're a loss-leader. Bag them up and freeze and there's enough to last until the next good sale.

We don't have a Costco, but we do have a Sam's Club so when somebody's going, I get them to bring me a rotisserie chicken. Five dollars gets me minimum three meals and a sandwich.

People do tend to overcook chicken which leaves it crying for moisture.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

to the op.... if you buy on price... and boneless breasts are like 1.39-1.69lb you could be buying a number 2 boneless breast....meaning their is nothing wrong with it to eat,,,but its all different sizes...or has a small cut in it somewhere,,,,these the poultry companies will sell on discount to the stores

and i do like breasts, i will often slice/butterfly and stuff ...can be with stuffing or cordon bleu with ham/cheese...or sometimes i slow cook and add bbq sauce for pulled chicken,,,

boneless breasts are great for high protein diets..... i also grind them for ground chicken and even make sausage but add some flavoring

if you want chicken more flavorful and juicy buy the thighs....one of my favorites.

also for bone in skin on chicken.... parts are good- i grill split chicken breasts all summer long ....slather with bbq sauce they are perfect for one serving

(2nd paragraph)...... you nailed it.

Same is true with beef.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,483,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Yes I pay around that amount and they are different sizes. I freeze them by 2's paired up with a similar size.

I'm not sure my rubbery is the same kind everyone else here is talking about. The worst ones aren't dry, but they crunch when you chew and squeak on your teeth. Anyone had that happen? It seems to happen more often when I tried slightly undercooking the breasts so that I could heat them up later without overcooking.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
My favorite chicken breast recipe is the one on the Hellman's mayonnaise jar. Mix mayo with parmesan cheese and put on top of the chicken breasts. Add a little bread crumbs and bake. Although the recipe calls for the thicker chicken breasts I prefer the thinner ones and I just cut the temperature down and cook them for a little less time. Sometimes I make chicken breasts with salsa on top and then put Mexican cheese on the last few minutes.

But I really don't care for chicken breasts that much. I do find them hard to cook without them becoming dry. I make chicken thighs much more often.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Yes I pay around that amount and they are different sizes. I freeze them by 2's paired up with a similar size.

I'm not sure my rubbery is the same kind everyone else here is talking about. The worst ones aren't dry, but they crunch when you chew and squeak on your teeth. Anyone had that happen? It seems to happen more often when I tried slightly undercooking the breasts so that I could heat them up later without overcooking.
I know exactly what you are describing. It is repulsive, the way the meat feels between your teeth. I've noticed this phenomenon with the really large breasts. The reason I mentioned earlier in this thread that we just had a thread about this very subject that went for pages was that you would hopefully check it out. I wrote a detailed response there and wanted now to link to that post. Not only can I not find my post, I can't find the entire thread - why it was pulled, there's no telling. Maybe your thread will end up on the chopping block soon too.

The way I've dealt with this new phenomenon in cooked chicken is to avoid the really oversized ones. If that's all you can get, then a baking soda bath is in order, it helps to soften the meat. In the post I made in the previous chicken breast thread, I described what breasts looked like back when I was a child in the 80s and now as an adult in 2017. One breast half was a serving size, 4-6 ounces. Now, a single breast half can easily weigh more than a pound, and the thickest part can be around two inches deep. They are nearly the size of a turkey's breast. Not to mention the fat. Previously, the fat was yellowish and external in little patches that could easily be removed. Now, the fat is white and deposited right into the striations of the muscle tissue, something that I only recently (within the last few years) noticed, along with the Sasquatch-sized proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink