Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times

Advertisements

I grew up in England where we knew Bologna as lunch meat, same stuff, pink mushy meat with a red rind but never heard it called Bologna until I moved to the US.

Also we didn't have subs we had baguettes, shorter than a french loaf but not quite as short as a hoagie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My friends from Lancaster call it stuffing. There can't be many who say filling. You never know what you're going to get when English is the second language.
She was born and raised in Lancaster (then moved to Lebanon and then Hershey after marrying) - it wasn't a second language. She also would probably be mid 90's now if she was still alive - maybe just a generational thing?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:15 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Because some people would rather have an extended conversation than ask for what they want the first time.
No. The conversation takes 2-3 seconds.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It is now...

"Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2][3] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856[4] by John Taylor of Trenton, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham". Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors." - Wikipedia
We know that. Fewer than half of the people in the state--even those born there--call it Taylor Ham.

You didn't read the thread, did you?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She was born and raised in Lancaster (then moved to Lebanon and then Hershey after marrying) - it wasn't a second language. She also would probably be mid 90's now if she was still alive - maybe just a generational thing?
Back track. I took a couple of years of German in high school, and more when I moved overseas. The Pennsylvania Dutch don't speak the modern German language. Sure, everyone says pizza and cell phone, but their whole gig is pretty clunky.

Where was her mother from? Many of us learn these things from our mother.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:30 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
We know that. Fewer than half of the people in the state--even those born there--call it Taylor Ham.

You didn't read the thread, did you?
Every post. Did you read the one I responded to?

Old 07-29-2017, 03:33 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
No. The conversation takes 2-3 seconds.
In 99% of the country people don't order a "soda" because that would simply prompt the question of "what kind?" People simply order what they want - what a concept!

Old 07-29-2017, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I grew up in England where we knew Bologna as lunch meat, same stuff, pink mushy meat with a red rind but never heard it called Bologna until I moved to the US.

Also we didn't have subs we had baguettes, shorter than a french loaf but not quite as short as a hoagie
In my family it was called it bologna (or baloney), but my neighborhood pals were always eating 'mordadell' (mortadella). I was about 12 year old before I realized they were the same thing.

But then, what they called salami, my family called fårepølse even though it was actually salami.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM

132 posts, read 107,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In my family it was called it bologna (or baloney), but my neighborhood pals were always eating 'mordadell' (mortadella). I was about 12 year old before I realized they were the same thing.

But then, what they called salami, my family called fårepølse even though it was actually salami.
But were you eating the same thing? At my deli they have bologna, beef bologna, German bologna and mortadella. The first three are all types of bologna, but mortadella isn't, it's...mortadella. LOL Simlilar, yes, but different lunch meats. If you ask for bologna, you'll never get mortadella and vice versa. They look and taste different to me.

Oh yeah, there's another one! Lunch meat, deli meat, cold cuts, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Same foods, different names-img_1462.jpg   Same foods, different names-img_1461.jpg  

Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
But were you eating the same thing? At my deli they have bologna, beef bologna, German bologna and mortadella. The first three are all types of bologna, but mortadella isn't, it's...mortadella. LOL Simlilar, yes, but different lunch meats. If you ask for bologna, you'll never get mortadella and vice versa. They look and taste different to me.

Oh yeah, there's another one! Lunch meat, deli meat, cold cuts, etc.
Don't forget Lebanon bologna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink