Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:01 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

I understand boar can be gamey which is what I dislike in venison. Sprouts Market had a sale on ground boar and I was curious. Hope I didn't make a mistake. I'm going to add some to a Korean stir fry which uses a hot sauce I mix up (hot red pepper bean paste, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic and ginger).

Then found a paleo burger recipe which adds grated ginger, pimenton, unsweetened grated coconut, salt and pepper, fry it in ghee, serve with chutney.

Do you think that should be okay? Hate to waste food. I was hoping it would taste like pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 11:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The Venison and boar meat that I have seen at Sprouts are both farm raised and neither should taste gamey since gaminess is related to what the animals eat. Farm raised deer and boar are fed the same sort of feed as cattle and pigs.

I think if you like ground pork, you will find ground boar just fine.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
"Wild meat" can be "gamey" if it isn't prepared correctly. If someone really knows how to fix it, it's delicious! I've had venison that was so awful I couldn't even stand the smell...and I've had venison that was so tender and delectable.....just depends on the PREP of the meat!

Old 07-30-2017, 06:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
if it is gamey they wont sell much...as abq said ..... it is probly milder than you anticipate..

with all you are mixing in ,,,,,it shouldnt be gamey

Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I am one of those who isn't a fan of any wild meat. I have, on rare occasions had wild that did not taste gamy but most does. I had Elk for the first time last year: it was way to tough and chewy for me, but spoiled brat enjoyed it. My dad used to do a lot of hunting so I was raised on wild meats to a degree. I do like wild meats smoked as in a salami.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:20 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Followup post to report I really like boar. High protein, low fat, not gamey. At least no gamey the way I prepared it. I will definitely buy again if it goes on sale.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
Game meat that is "gamey" is meat that is not cared for properly, plain and simple. "Fishy" fish is also due to poor care, it should never taste "fishy".

Do yourself a favor and try to keep an open mind when trying new foods and always try to get it from a source that is diligent about proper care and preparation of such products.

For 40 years I lived in Alaska, hunted and fished for the great majority of my protein while there and was diligent about field care of those animals I harvested. All was exceptional table fare with one exception, a caribou that was in rut, they taste so bad that even dogs will not eat them, seriously.

Another big mistake people make is cooking game meat as if it were commercial beef or pork, completely different worlds. Game meat is exceptionally lean so other fat/oil and/or moisture must be added to compensate, also, if cooking any venison deer/elk/moose/caribou, or sheep, it should be cooked either medium rare to rare or cooked long, slow and wet, until it falls apart. To do otherwise will yield a tough unsatisfactory effort. Be patient with it.

Any pork/swine or bear should be FULLY cooked to prevent trichinosis parasite from surviving and infecting any who eat the meat.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:20 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Actually gamey-nish has to do mostly with age of game animal & sex.

A trophy male animal = maximum gamey.

Farm raised would suggest slaughter at prime age & condition.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:20 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Actually gamey-nish has to do mostly with age of game animal & sex.

A trophy male animal = maximum gamey.

Farm raised would suggest slaughter at prime age & condition.

Not true at all unless ; "A trophy male animal = maximum gamey. " is rephrased to; "A mature male animal in rut= maximum gamey. "

My opinion based on 40 years of successfully hunting Alaska big game. In fact, the best tasting moose I ever ate were more than one bull moose I killed, 1 young, 1 huge trophy bull. The same can be said of caribou I harvested with the exception I posted earlier. The same goes with dall sheep and black bear. Sex and age is irrelevant as far as taste, also, the toughest moose I ate was a cow I killed.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:24 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
Default Wild boar.

We were at a neighborhood dinner party last night and wild boar was one of the main dishes.
Oh my.
It was so so good.

We live in a spot of Northern California where there are wild pigs.
They do a lot of damage so the locals can harvest them with a “nuisance tag”.
The locals normally use a trap.

Last night our neighbors prepared an amazing meal for us.
My dumb butt thought they were going to do the exotic cook thing like a big barbecue or the underground cook thing.
No, they just used their oven and them little piggy’s were very tasty.

I don’t have a pig problem on my land but I do have some friends that raise pigs and I can buy or trade for a small one easily enough.

This is definitely on my must do list.
I see a cooked pig for our next 4th of July party .

2 smallish pigs with 35-40 or so people and none was left.

Good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink