Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Have been invited to a Mexican restaurant for lunch tomorrow but have no clue what to order. any suggestions on what i should order to give me a taste of Mexico? heres the menu =http://guacaetmole.com/index-en.html#menu

Help i'm lost,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:08 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Everything looks good, see what you feel like tomorrow, chicken, beef, pork, or seafood. It is always good to try something new. Bon apetit!

Old 07-30-2017, 04:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Well, I can never pass up Cheese enchiladas. So enchiladas con carne. I'd try the tortilla soup too. I don't experiment much but get whatever sounds good to you.

There are some interesting looking entrees. Don't forget the churros for dessert.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:19 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Yumm. I wish there was one where I live. I would have to eat my way through the menu. It ALL looks delicious

Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
You've never had Mexican food?

Well, let's see. Not a hamburger or some food that really belongs to another culture but has been Mexicanized. Mexican poutine? Sriracha mayonnaise?

I am not a seafood fan so I wouldn't get seafood. Most of the meat dishes sound too heavy for me for lunch.

Quesadillas are so easy to make at home that no way would I spend $13 for a cheese quesadilla.

Going basic & typical for a newbie, I'd probably go for the chicken enchiladas with red sauce, or the chicken chipotle burrito. Black bean puree, hmm, I've never heard refried beans described that way, but okay. Sounds good.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Wow, what an upscale menu. I would love to go there.
We don't know how big your appetite is at lunch, but mine is the size of a pea.
I would try the tacos. The place sounds gourmet, but it's hard to screw up tacos.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I always order cheese enchiladas when visiting a new restaurant because it is a classic dish that is pretty universal and it also teaches you about not only the region the restaurant/cooks represent, but the quality and authenticity of the individual restaurant.

What their sauces are like, what kind of cheese the restaurant uses, the quality of their corn tortillas, that sort of thing.

Judging by that menu, influence/region-wise they seem all over the map with a bent towards west coast/Baja style with some "American" favorites (fajitas, "Mexican" hamburger) and fusion (Salmon, Panko breaded shrimp). It does look potentially quite tasty and there are some interesting sounding dishes on there.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 07-30-2017 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
OMG! It all looks so good!

Ask your friend if you could both just sample a variety of appetizers, 3 or 4 different ones.

Decide if you like seafood, beef or chicken or pork or lamb. Then narrow it down.

I don't have any real experience/opinion on meats, really.

Appetizer:

Flautas de pollo (even though I only eat flautas de guacamole which I can only find locally). Flauta = flute. A corn tortilla rolled and fried with a stuffing of some sort. Finger food.

Camarones
= Shrimp
I haven't had Camarones a la plancha in a while. Love those.
Camarones en salsa de mango also sounds good.

Enchiladas
= tortilla (usually corn, but can be flour) either: usually rolled, but can be stacked/ topped, or folded with some combination of cheese, beef, chicken, veg, etc., covered/smothered in a red chile or green chile sauce and melted cheese. On this menu, the Burrito/Enchilada sounds good.

Ask about the heat of the chile re: your personal preference. Too hot or too mild can make a difference in your enjoyment.

Dessert (Postre)
The pic of pastry with apple and berries looks amazing. Churros are fine, too, but for me not exciting enough for dessert...

I am drooling as I write.

Please come back after your visit to this restaurant and report on ALL the food. Enjoy!

Last edited by tangelag; 07-30-2017 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Correction. Thanks saibot!

Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You've never had Mexican food?

Well, let's see. Not a hamburger or some food that really belongs to another culture but has been Mexicanized. Mexican poutine? Sriracha mayonnaise?

I am not a seafood fan so I wouldn't get seafood. Most of the meat dishes sound too heavy for me for lunch.

Quesadillas are so easy to make at home that no way would I spend $13 for a cheese quesadilla.

Going basic & typical for a newbie, I'd probably go for the chicken enchiladas with red sauce, or the chicken chipotle burrito. Black bean puree, hmm, I've never heard refried beans described that way, but okay. Sounds good.
Black bean purée would be black beans puréed, not refried beans, which would be pinto beans, pretty much mashed, not exactly pureed, although the smoothness of the mash would vary from place to place.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Enchiladas
= tortilla (usually flour) either: usually rolled, but can be stacked/ topped, or folded with some combination of cheese, beef, chicken, veg, etc., covered/smothered in a red chile or green chile sauce.
You mean...usually corn...don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink