Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

That's pretty much the premise of this article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/superma...80210213748382

What do you think? Some people say we have too many grocery stores, other people say our stores are too big. Then other people say the stores we do have don't have the right selection.

All I know is, there is no perfect store. And I usually have to shop 3-4 different stores every week. Sometimes I want organic French olive oil, sometimes I want Oreos. Sometimes I want fresh halibut, sometimes I want boiled peanuts. Why can't one store have everything?

Why has no one been able to come up with the perfect store? Not too big, not too small, not too expensive. This should not be that hard.

Maybe the solution is no store and buying everything online. That way, no wasted time and trips to the store where you can't find the right selection or price or quality. That's what the "experts" say anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Not if they're all profitable.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
There is no "Perfect" store. You adjust your buying to what's available, on my planet.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
No, if they are making money & giving people jobs, then I like to have a choice of stores to shop at. I shop mostly at Grocery Outlet, but they do not have everything, all of the time, so I also go to other stores to get those items. I also shop Trader Joes & go there once a month. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
In my area we have 3 supermarkets and many discount type chains. It is a seasonal resort area. Great during the season off season their business gets slow. We see independents who can not make it every year. On the other hand there are small towns and semi rural area near by with only a small store or maybe no stroe for miles.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
TAll I know is, there is no perfect store. And I usually have to shop 3-4 different stores every week. Sometimes I want organic French olive oil, sometimes I want Oreos. Sometimes I want fresh halibut, sometimes I want boiled peanuts. Why can't one store have everything?

Why has no one been able to come up with the perfect store? Not too big, not too small, not too expensive. This should not be that hard.
Your answer is right in the question. You admit you want a lot of different things at various times. Other people have long lists of completely dfferent things they want at various times. That's too many things to have in one "not too big" store, altogether.

I shop at Ralphs (large supermarket), Sprouts (for produce), Trader Joe's, and the farmer's market. Sometimes I wish I could get by with just Trader Joe's, since I love many of their products and they're right across the street, but their produce is not the best and there are too many things they just don't carry.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM

132 posts, read 107,443 times
Quote:
That's pretty much the premise of this article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/superma...80210213748382

What do you think? Some people say we have too many grocery stores, other people say our stores are too big. Then other people say the stores we do have don't have the right selection.

All I know is, there is no perfect store. And I usually have to shop 3-4 different stores every week. Sometimes I want organic French olive oil, sometimes I want Oreos. Sometimes I want fresh halibut, sometimes I want boiled peanuts. Why can't one store have everything?

Maybe the solution is no store and buying everything online. That way, no wasted time and trips to the store where you can't find the right selection or price or quality. That's what the "experts" say anyway.
What you're looking for wouldn't be easy. If the perfect store has to carry all the variety that you and everyone else wants, how can it be "not too big"? They have to put all that priduct somewhere. Ordering everything online makes returns/exchanges a pain. Plus, sometimes you need it now, not tomorrow.

No, I don't think we have too many stores. Competition is good for keeping prices in check. More stores means more convenience as well. As long as there's enough business to go around. If there isn't, you'll see places closing. I like shopping multiple stores. I like variety. After doing it for a while you know which store will have whatever product/price you want.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
What you're looking for wouldn't be easy. If the perfect store has to carry all the variety that you and everyone else wants, how can it be "not too big"? They have to put all that priduct somewhere. Ordering everything online makes returns/exchanges a pain. Plus, sometimes you need it now, not tomorrow.

No, I don't think we have too many stores. Competition is good for keeping prices in check. More stores means more convenience as well. As long as there's enough business to go around. If there isn't, you'll see places closing. I like shopping multiple stores. I like variety. After doing it for a while you know which store will have whatever product/price you want.

I agree that all this competition is awesome.

But I feel like a lot of American consumers actually are tired of having to walk aisle after aisle of 20 different milks and cereals and drinks. They would be just fine with three brands. They don't need 10 or 20 brands. That's why Aldi and Trader Joe's are so popular. Smaller stores and mostly just one brand.

We are at a tipping point where the American consumer values TIME (just give me fewer brands in a smaller store I can get in and out of quickly) over VARIETY (Wegmans for example).

I feel like the era of the big box grocery store is over. This includes Walmart, Kroger, Safeway, etc.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No, if they are making money & giving people jobs, then I like to have a choice of stores to shop at. I shop mostly at Grocery Outlet, but they do not have everything, all of the time, so I also go to other stores to get those items. I also shop Trader Joes & go there once a month. Variety is the spice of life.
Grocery stores are in trouble. A lot of them are not making as much money as they have in the past. Too much competition.

I have always wanted to visit a Grocery Outlet. What's it like?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
...We are at a tipping point where the American consumer values TIME (just give me fewer brands in a smaller store I can get in and out of quickly) over VARIETY (Wegmans for example)...
Don't include me in your generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink