Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not all Danish Butter Cookies are not made in Denmark, like Polish Sausage is not made in Poland. They don't even use original recipe. That food not even resemble original taste or ingredients. It's just a marketing gimmick. But depends on the brand - Danisa butter cookies advocates "the same brand with the same quality in the world" for its criterion, wherever it is made, it must strictly comply with it’s traditional Danish recipe invariant requirements, provide all the people in the world with the delicious butter cookies.

People just heard that European cookies are good, or Polish sausage is delicious, and they buy it "thinking" that's how the the "real" stuff taste like.
No. She likes the real thing. The real Danish butter cookies, the real Walkers shortbread. I keep my people happy. Would never buy garbage food from China for anyone.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 AM

190 posts, read 167,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I will not buy food from China. It is bad enough we have to buy the other crap they put out. I won't even buy dog food that is made anywhere but the USA.
You don't HAVE to buy anything from China, period. You WILL have to pay more for goods made in the US or other western countries.

If you or anyone else is buying from Wal-Mart, Aldi, dollar stores, etc, if price is the only buying factor, you're going to get cheap quality. I spend more to get better quality and buy less quantity as a result.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think farmed catfish from the states are safe enough. But fish farmed in Asia are produced in unsanitary conditions. Disgusting Truths About Asian Aquaculture - Business Insider

At least the farms have a bad reputation.

Farmed Atlantic salmon is not as good a food as wild West Coast Salmon either. I've read about some environmental degradation with these. The Problem with Farmed Atlantic Salmon - SFGate

This does make it hard for those of us who want to eat more fish. I seldom eat fresh fish. The good stuff is so expensive. I do eat canned fish.
Your links are seriously out of date. 2012 and 2009, respectively.

I admit that I do avoid giving the dog treats from china. His little body is smaller than my fat arse, so I think it matters more.

We do prefer the taste of wild sockeye fresh salmon, but rarely find it at a palatable price. Frankly, if we didn't eat farm raised, we would probably never eat fish. I'm too much of a of a cheapskate to shop at the fish monger or whole foods. Nor do I give a rat's patootie if what I eat is organic, grass fed, free range, gluten free, locally sourced, or massaged by 47 virgins. I'm all about how it tastes, and is the price justified.

I've never found a frozen fish I like except shrimp, but if there were one, I'd happily buy it if the price made sense.

For those concerned about the effects of overfishing, you should maybe quit eating canned tuna.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/what-we-do/oceans/tuna/

Can we do the threat of mercury in fish next?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-08-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, if you'd take the time to do a bit of research instead of parroting fearmongers, you might quit propagating disinformation.

New Zealand Alpine Salmon

And there's the Whiteleg Shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei), raised in clean and efficient US-based shrimp farms. These earn a "Best Choice" spot in the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program.

There are numerous excellent choices for farmed seafood.
Keep your accusations to your self! You, evidently, choose to ignore the fact that I am educated on the subject, as is evident by your refusal to recognize the facts I cited earlier.

As I also posted earlier, you have the freedom to choose to eat any job destroying, habitat destroying, ecological and biological threatening garbage as you wish.

Just because something is offered as a "best choice" advertised alternative to the real thing, does not make it superior to what nature has nurtured for 4 to 6 MILLION years or more.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It may do all you say but I don't think the average Joe pays much attention to what farm raising can do. They or we I guess I should say, probably base what we purchase on personal taste and price without considering if raised one way or the other takes a few jobs away from someone. I am not saying this is right or wrong, just fact but I do think you have hyped this up a bit too much.
I agree with you up to the point you claim I hype this too much. Make the choices you wish and I will choose as I see fit. Farmed fish is inferior in every sense and detrimental in many ways. I choose not to support the industry.

Humans are constantly trying to alter mother nature to suit their needs and are continually screwing it up, there are thousands of instances to illustrate this. Nature has had 4 BILLION years to achieve and perfect symbiosis, human sapiens have been on earth for 200,000 years and to this day find it impossible to get along with each other, or with planet earth. At some point the earth will tire of our meddling and squash us like a bug, if we do not do it to ourselves first.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Keep your accusations to your self! You, evidently, choose to ignore the fact that I am educated on the subject, as is evident by your refusal to recognize the facts I cited earlier.

As I also posted earlier, you have the freedom to choose to eat any job destroying, habitat destroying, ecological and biological threatening garbage as you wish.

Just because something is offered as a "best choice" advertised alternative to the real thing, does not make it superior to what nature has nurtured for 4 to 6 MILLION years or more.
I assume you only eat wild turkey and wild buffalo meat?

Some experts do not agree with you:

Quote:
Tim Fitzgerald, a scientist and sustainable seafood expert at the Environmental Defense Fund, told the New York Times that he believes it’s reasonable to eat a mix of farmed and wild seafood, as completely avoiding the farmed variety “removes 50 percent of the US seafood supply from your choices.”
What you need to know about farm-raised vs. wild-caught fish | WTOP

Farmed vs. Wild Salmon :: Washington State Department of Health

I could go on, but I think it's clear that you won't change your opinion. Which is fine. It is, however, unnecessary to be rude to those who have a different opinion.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I agree with you up to the point you claim I hype this too much. Make the choices you wish and I will choose as I see fit. Farmed fish is inferior in every sense and detrimental in many ways. I choose not to support the industry.

Humans are constantly trying to alter mother nature to suit their needs and are continually screwing it up, there are thousands of instances to illustrate this. Nature has had 4 BILLION years to achieve and perfect symbiosis, human sapiens have been on earth for 200,000 years and to this day find it impossible to get along with each other, or with planet earth. At some point the earth will tire of our meddling and squash us like a bug, if we do not do it to ourselves first.
I don't quite agree with you on this. If not for human research and advancement in crops and livestock we would not be able to feed 7.5 billion people.

There are also less jobs as technology advances there are cheaper ways to feed people.

It's not by choice but by necessity that we must advance and move forward.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love sushi/sashimi made with farmed salmon. It has a higher fat content and I prefer the flavor.
I love Scottish farmed salmon! I have it grilled several times a week. Because it is farmed in such cold water it is super fatty and delicious!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Your links are seriously out of date. 2012 and 2009, respectively.

I admit that I do avoid giving the dog treats from china. His little body is smaller than my fat arse, so I think it matters more.

We do prefer the taste of wild sockeye fresh salmon, but rarely find it at a palatable price. Frankly, if we didn't eat farm raised, we would probably never eat fish. I'm too much of a of a cheapskate to shop at the fish monger or whole foods. Nor do I give a rat's patootie if what I eat is organic, grass fed, free range, gluten free, locally sourced, or massaged by 47 virgins. I'm all about how it tastes, and is the price justified.

I've never found a frozen fish I like except shrimp, but if there were one, I'd happily buy it if the price made sense.

For those concerned about the effects of overfishing, you should maybe quit eating canned tuna.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/what-we-do/oceans/tuna/

Can we do the threat of mercury in fish next?
I am not even a lover of frozen shrimp, but we do get cod from Sam's. It is fair for fish and chips and I keep the crusted talapia from Sam's. No not very tasty but fair and good when in a hurry. Love fish and will buy it regardless of where it is produced. Would rather have it from the USA, but beggers can't be picky and I beg for fish.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:11 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I thought this isn't news anymore, and by now everyone should know that almost everything you buy in the US is made somewhere in Asia. Even if Made In USA - most components are made somewhere else.
We spend a surprisingly small amount of our money on Asian goods. I buy almost none it's not that hard and doesn't cost much more, sometimes even the same price.

On the last sentence---you have no idea what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink