Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times

Advertisements

Love grits, with eggs, bacon, fish, even pig liver (the only liver I will eat). One of the reasons I love plain cream of wheat so much is because the texture and flavor reminds me of grits and there's not as much sodium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:15 AM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
They are eaten with fish dishes in the Bahamas.
I've only seen them served with Chicken Souse. Yummmm...

Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
About once a week I will make a breakfast of grits, a sausage patty, and two scrambled eggs. I cut up the eggs and sausage and mix it all well in one of those 20 oz corningware coffee cups. Mmmmm.

But I am all out of sausage (usually from the Chefstore), so yesterday, I cooked and chopped up a couple bacon strips; not quite, but almost as good.

Tomorrow, I think I will try a slice of Spam, but I don't expect the combo to work as well.
  • Kielbasa?
  • Shrimp?
  • Steak?

Have you ever tried Grits, Eggs and ?

What's you favorite combination?
I've had your combination for years and labeled it The Grits Bowl. I suggested selling something like this at a mom and pop restaurant I visit and they looked at me like I had three eyes.

I do tend to add cheese to mine and occasionally jalapenos or tomatoes.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I've had your combination for years and labeled it The Grits Bowl. I suggested selling something like this at a mom and pop restaurant I visit and they looked at me like I had three eyes.

I do tend to add cheese to mine and occasionally jalapenos or tomatoes.
Krystal has three versions, called the Scrambler. One is all protein without grits, the others have grits with either sausage or bacon.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:55 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I'm a Yankee and never had a grits scramble. But I had a plate of shrimp and grits in a very nice restaurant near Breaux Bridge, LA on a Fourth of July evening and like them so well that the staff gave me a complementary dessert of crepes to celebrate my introduction to Cajun cuisine.

Now I have a box of grits on my pantry shelf and am reading here with interest.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:19 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Eggs, grits and corned beef hash is a tasty meal.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
More recently, Southern food has crossed the Mason Dixon line. We travel more. Cooking shows are popular. And Grits and Cheese Casserole and Shrimp and Grits are frequently on my menu.

I'd love more grits recipes. For myself. grits are a food that is best with lots of cheese and butter. Not greasy. But rich.

Just because Southern food has headed north doesn't mean it is still southern food.

I went to a "Southern" restaurant in Sarasota that wasn't southern at all. Mac and Cheese is not just a southern thing. Making it with a dozen eggs may be.

A meatloaf wrapped in bacon isn't southern.

Real shrimp and grits look like shrimp in brown gravy not some rich, milky paste over too heavy grits.

Sorry, bastardization of southern food is drives me crazy.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just had shrimp and cheese grits at Paula Deen's and it was good. However, this yankee does not even get why the shrimp is necessary in shrimp and grits. Shrimp and grits is all about a spicy ham/bacon sauce over grits. The 4 shrimp are kind of superfluous.

Anyway, dh gets hash browns with breakfast, but I get grits, because I GET grits. The hash browns they serve here are flaccid limp things. Yuck.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Just because Southern food has headed north doesn't mean it is still southern food.

I went to a "Southern" restaurant in Sarasota that wasn't southern at all. Mac and Cheese is not just a southern thing. Making it with a dozen eggs may be.

A meatloaf wrapped in bacon isn't southern.

Real shrimp and grits look like shrimp in brown gravy not some rich, milky paste over too heavy grits.

Sorry, bastardization of southern food is drives me crazy

Actually, I have never had grits served to me in a Northern restaurant. When I have eaten it out, it has been in restaurants in the Carolinas, (Charlotte, Myrtle Beach the Outer Banks, Wilmington area, Arkansas, Alabama, and Florida, mainly.

My distant cousins live in "Florabama" and I've eaten at there homes and in local hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Not tourist traps.

I think they know what they are doing.

Last edited by elnina; 08-09-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I also like grits that have been baked and sliced and fried. I usually have them with salt and pepper - or hot sauce.

Does anyone know of use other toppings? Curious. I prefer savory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink