Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Most of them live in Manhattan.
I lived in Manhattan for 5 years. There are food markets that sell fresh ingredients on every other block. Fruit & veggie stands are plentiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 02:50 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Since this thread started, I’ve become an AF Pancake mix junky. I can get it locally. I was never a big pancake fan. I liked the idea of pancakes better than the taste or texture.

This mix is tan in color, so I imagine is has whole grain flour. The texture is extremely fine. If you follow the directions exactly, with buttermilk, eggs and canola oil, you will get a very delicious, light textured pancake.

Cross my heart and hope to die.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:37 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Have you looked at the ingredients?

I know, I know, a bunch of unpronounceable stuff that can leave one's tongue in knots.

But it makes me the best pancakes outside of any diner!

I tried every homemade recipe, as well as the add eggs and milk version of what I use, and those pancakes come out tough and rubbery like shoe leather.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Okay, someone in this forum mentioned how good Aretha Frankenstein pancakes are. Well, I noticed the Aretha Frankenstein mix in our Publix, so I had to try it.

The mix requires buttermilk and eggs, so I bought the highest quality REAL buttermilk I could find. My wife made the pancakes for us, and they were GREAT. They were fluffy and had the perfect consistency, especially when I added butter and my favorite corn syrup type pancake syrup (no, not HFCS).

I know, I know, your favorite pancakes are your own "made from scratch" recipe. However, when my wife made the pancakes she commented that they are basically "from scratch", with someone else putting the dry ingredients together for you.

They are definitely worth a try.
Where did that title, "Aretha Frankenstein" come from? Out of respect for the late great Queen of Soul I think I resent it more than she might have!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:40 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Where did that title, "Aretha Frankenstein" come from? Out of respect for the late great Queen of Soul I think I resent it more than she might have!
It is a restaurant in Chattanooga, TN. http://www.arethas.com/ I have never been but it is on my list to visit.

I love their pancake mix. I can't buy it up in Massachusetts. I do travel to coastal Georgia. I pick it up at Publix whenever I am down there.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
THIS ^^^^^^^^X 100! The woman is barely in her grave! SHame!!!

Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 PM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I believe the name comes from Frankenstein Mills, where it’s produced, and the restaurant named Arethas.The pancake mix has been around since long before Aretha Franklin died.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
This thread is over a year old, so that should clue you in on the fact that it has nothing to do with Aretha Franklin's death.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:09 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,469,057 times
Quote:
Ok I was the person who orginally recommended this mix to Dirt Grinder. I will explain just one more time. This mix orginates from a famous restaurant in Chattanooga, TN. The name of the restaurant is Arthea Fankensteins. Established in 2004. Aretha Frankensteins They have been selling the pancake mix at Publix since at least 2010. It has ZERO to do with Arthea Franklin's death or even life for that matter!

Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Ok I was the person who orginally recommended this mix to Dirt Grinder. I will explain just one more time. This mix orginates from a famous restaurant in Chattanooga, TN. The name of the restaurant is Arthea Fankensteins. Established in 2004. Aretha Frankensteins They have been selling the pancake mix at Publix since at least 2010. It has ZERO to do with Arthea Franklin's death or even life for that matter!
Perhaps not related to her death, but the fact that a name like that has been around a while, and reminds most people of Aretha Franklin's name, cuts pretty close to the bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink