Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 08:53 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times

Advertisements

I used to use my processor almost every day for chopping vegetables and grating cheese. These days, I probably chop vegetables more, but I mostly do it by hand because it's just easy to do, and I hate cleaning the machine. Even when you use the machine to chop veggies, you still have to use a knife and cutting board to peel and cut them in pieces. I dislike grating anything by hand, so I'll still use the machine to grate cheese and carrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Knife for chopping. Machine-processing veggies can make them bitter from oxidation. We bought some salsas from a place that made them in a blender and they were very bitter. That place went out of business.
I have never heard this. Do you have a reliable source? Do all vegetables react the same way when they oxidize?

Since oxidation happens when sliced by hand as well how does it differ if it is a machine?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Food processors are basically unitaskers - and not particularly effective unitaskers at that, as they don't do anything very well regardless of which disc you are using.
They are NOT unitaskers. Can you make a cake, cut butter into flour, or knead bread dough with a mandoline? As far as clean up, it's a simple plastic bowl.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They are NOT unitaskers. Can you make a cake, cut butter into flour, or knead bread dough with a mandoline? As far as clean up, it's a simple plastic bowl.
To be fair, Cuisinart did complicate the top of the bowl after its first few iterations. Because of this, I've held on to the lids from my first Cuisinart and a friend's first Cuisinart.

The lid I like:

The feed tube to the later, more complicated lid:

Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
To be fair, Cuisinart did complicate the top of the bowl after its first few iterations. Because of this, I've held on to the lids from my first Cuisinart and a friend's first Cuisinart.

The lid I like:

The feed tube to the later, more complicated lid:
Did you get your metal blade replaced after the recall? We still use ours from the 1970s, and when we heard about the recall notice looked and saw that our blade was indeed starting to fall apart. The new one is razor-sharp. We used it just the other day for making a graham cracker crust, but with the immersion blenders now and the KitchenAid mixer, we use it a lot less than back in the 80s-90s.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I have never heard this. Do you have a reliable source? Do all vegetables react the same way when they oxidize?

Since oxidation happens when sliced by hand as well how does it differ if it is a machine?
The point was that food over-oxidizes when it's chopped too small, which is easy to do in a food processor, not that the food processor itself oxidizes the food, am I right?

Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
The point was that food over-oxidizes when it's chopped too small, which is easy to do in a food processor, not that the food processor itself oxidizes the food, am I right?

That's how I read it.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Yep. However, I was referring to a case where an establishment was using a blender to process salsa ingredients. The salsas were very bitter, mainly from the oxidation of the onions. The establishment went out of business because no one purchased the salsas more than once.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

First of all, I stated "Machine-processing veggies can make them bitter from oxidation." That's not a blanket statement covering all machine-processing. I followed that statement with "We bought some salsas from a place that made them in a blender and they were very bitter." The blender was chopping the ingredients into very small pieces and incorporating oxygen (air) into the mixture. The small particles have more surface area exposed to the oxygen, so more of the product is involved in the oxidation process.

Do a web search for "blender onions bitter" for more examples of this problem.

We all know that not all food processors are alike, and I never stated or implied that you cannot successfully "machine-process" vegetables and have them retain their flavor.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Did you get your metal blade replaced after the recall? We still use ours from the 1970s, and when we heard about the recall notice looked and saw that our blade was indeed starting to fall apart. The new one is razor-sharp. We used it just the other day for making a graham cracker crust, but with the immersion blenders now and the KitchenAid mixer, we use it a lot less than back in the 80s-90s.
Yes, I got the new blade. I've cut my fingers on it twice so far, it's so sharp. I mainly use mine now for breaking down whole tomatoes to put in a sauce, or making pesto. I don't eat mayonnaise anymore, so I don't make it in the Cuisinart, and that was one of my big uses. Same with tart crust. I would make it in the Cuisinart if I still made it, but now, I count my carbohydrates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Do a web search for "blender onions bitter" for more examples of this problem.
Way back when, Marcella Hazan said not to chop onions in the Cuisinart because of this oxidization problem. I did it once. She was right. I didn't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink