Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I love good food, however, I feel like I am one of the few that does not get excited about it. When I go out to eat, the first thing I look at on the menu are the prices and limit my selections to meals that are $15 and under. Its not that I cant afford an expensive meal, I just don't see the point as in a half an hour it will have been consumed and my stomach will be just as full as it would have been if I ate a $5 sub at a sandwich shop. With that being said, if there is a wait at a restaurant I will go somewhere else. In the cafeteria at work, they will make sandwiches to your preference and the line backs up for those so I just grab the pre made ones and I'm on my way.

I also don't need variety, I can eat the same thing 3 times a day and be ok with that. There are times that I don't eat at all, just because I don't feel like it. Its not that I am lazy either because I am a hard worker but sometimes I feel like having to sit down to eat is a waste of time.

When I was younger I used to enjoy cooking. At one point I wanted to be a chef. When I was single making amazing meals was my weekend hobby. Now that I have kids, it has become more of a chore than enjoyable and I think that has something to do with it.

I am not a picky eater either. Sure I have likes and dislikes but I am not one to special order anything. For instance, I hate olives, if I order a meal that I know has olives on it I will eat them because that's how the meal comes, if I didn't want olives I would have ordered something else. I wont push them to the side, I wont tell them to hold the olives, I just eat them because that's the way it was supposed to be consumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I think food can be as important or unimportant as you make it.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Whether it is over rated depends on your pallet and what you like. There are people who live for eating and those who eat to continue living. I probably would say, it a $50 steak dinner any better than a $30 steak, most likely not for most of us and as for checking prices, that isn't unusual, but I do not think food is over rated. I just think top of the line restaurants might be. There are those who do not eat a variety of foods, who love, say, chicken almost every night. For them an expensive meal, is not their thing. Our granddaughter and her family are relatively picky with each liking something a little different. For them, an top of the line restaurant, other than the atmosphere would not be the way to spend their money. For her younger sister, who happens to have a surplus of funds, a husband that loves to eat and both have sophisticated pallets, the best is their choice.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 AM

My wife always gets aggravated when we go out to eat because she knows that I order based on prices rather than food. It back fires sometimes though if we go out in a group because we end up splitting the bill and I sometimes forget that and still order the cheapest meal with a glass of water while everyone else has bottles of wine and $50 steaks on their plate, lol. WIth that being said though, I thoroughly enjoy good, quality, tasty food but its just not worth the price to me. I would be just as happy with a plate full of chicken nuggets to be honest.

I honestly think its why it is easy for me to "diet," so to speak at times. I have no issue passing up tasty food for a salad for instance because I know in 15 minutes I will be just as full as if I had had the pizza. And once your full, your full.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
No.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
When I go out to eat, the first thing I look at on the menu are the prices and limit my selections to meals that are $15 and under.
Now that I have kids, it has become more of a chore than enjoyable and I think that has something to do with it.
That's what happens when you have kids. Now that mine are gone I enjoy food and cooking immensely.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
You are not a foodie, and that's OK. Food is not important to you.
But food is NOT overrated.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I dated a girl who had a tough time eating in front of anyone she didn't know well
I guess from an early age she was barked at from her parents at the table

From eating quirks to likes and dislikes
Food means different things to different people

I can get animated about foods I like and how to cook

Food can be a reward in life-
Good food is a blessing in life

We all have different passions and that's ok

Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Food overrated? No. Not quite sure what that might mean, exactly anyway.

FoodIE culture overrated? I think so. At least foodie culture that's been reduced to trite marketing campaigns and endless picture-taking at restaurants...

Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 AM

When I say overrated I just mean I know people that drool over certain restaurants and spare no expense when it comes to food while I just eat because I need to and it doesn't have to be anything special. I love good food but id rather put my money somewhere else. Perhaps I am just cheap, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink