Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

I have worked at several restaurants, and I have never been asked to pack a carry-out order when I was working as a server only. There have been times that I did multiple tasks, like server and fry cook, server and cash register, etc., but those places always paid me at the higher rate, not server's wages. When I worked the cash register at a local establishment recently, I was surprised when people who called in or walked in for carry-out orders (I did have to run to the kitchen for those and pack them) left a tip. It was a lovely bonus, but I didn't expect it. I guess it really depends on the restaurant. If the owners are asking their servers to do things that keep them from waiting on tipping customers, they need to pay them accordingly.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:53 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I've argued in this fight before and not really interested in reliving it. Let's just keep up the hand outs just don't forget the other down trodden and small folk out there. Most are unwilling to argue for a change but to simply play along. You and my kids can do that. I'm not tipping on take out food.
Do you go to the same place very often and not tip? You're getting snot or spit in your food!

Old 08-23-2017, 04:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I tip around 8% for takeout. Reason is behind this.
The waiter who is putting your order together could be waiting on a table and making 15%, but instead is taking time from her/his table(s) to fulfill mine. Although less work, they still have to put in the order, get the napkins, plastic cutlery, packages of dressing, sour cream, butter, etc., .
And so I do always leave a small gesture of my appreciation.

...and the tip is left to the waiter who placed the order via computer. They are held accountable to that by the IRS, meaning they have to claim the dollar amount of your order at the end of the night, and declare a certain amount of tip to cover their lower than minimum wage salary for that check. If you don't tip them something, they still have to claim it (your check total) and be taxed on it.

If you don't tip them on that, they have to cover the deficit .

They are already getting a hourly wage for the position they are in. It's called doing their job. A tip is a gratuity for doing a good job. It has become expected to leave a tip. I see tip jars everywhere. You leave a tip because you got extraordinary service. Walking aplate of good from the serving window to a table or bagging it in a box. isn't extraordinary service.

I don't always leave a tip. I used to go to this specific sandwich shop because one of the employees was great. Cheerful, made great sandwiches and was a funny person. I actually liked going in to have a sandwich made. I tipped because they were not the typical droll "can I take your order " types.
I just went out with a few friends and I tipped $50 on a $180 meal. The waitress went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed, Glasses always full without asking napkins, water etc.
just very efficient. Compared to the last waiter we had at another place, the guy didn't know if they served Diet Coke.
So no, not everyone should be tipped for everything they do.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
<<David creeps in quietly, and sits in corner>> Thinks to himself, 'let's sit here and not make a sound. Just quietly watch Americans tie themselves up in knots about tipping for takeout.'

POPCORN!!.......HEY LADY, SOME POPCORN OVER HERE!! Sorry, too loud. I mean, popcorn please..........

Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
<<David creeps in quietly, and sits in corner>> Thinks to himself, 'let's sit here and not make a sound. Just quietly watch Americans tie themselves up in knots about tipping for takeout.'

POPCORN!!.......HEY LADY, SOME POPCORN OVER HERE!! Sorry, too loud. I mean, popcorn please..........
David! You look just like Michael Jackson! (When he was alive, I mean.)

Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Serious question: When ordering To-Go, are you supposed to tip? If so, what are you tipping for? Who are you tipping? Common sense tells me no, but then I can't help but wonder what the server/cashier thinks when I hand the signed receipt back with no tip left.
Generally speaking we do not tip for take out, but have a few times. Why, we have, I don't know, maybe just a really nice person working that day?

BTW: there have been at least one, maybe more threads here on this subject in the past.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Generally speaking we do not tip for take out, but have a few times. Why, we have, I don't know, maybe just a really nice person working that day?
Yup, same here.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Serious question: When ordering To-Go, are you supposed to tip? If so, what are you tipping for? Who are you tipping? Common sense tells me no, but then I can't help but wonder what the server/cashier thinks when I hand the signed receipt back with no tip left.
Yes as a courtesy. I round it off to next dollars and always add 2$, even if its a 10$ check.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:13 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The only place that I would consider tipping for takeout is a local diner where the order is prepared by one of the servers who would otherwise get a tip from the people s/he is waiting on that is actually sitting in the restaurant.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Thank you Nonesuch. It must have changed since I had need to check on that. (wife was a professional waiter until she retired)

Yes SAT, I tip my hat to you

edit: I am still going to tip my takeout waiter 8%.
Great. And when enough of you start tipping for takeout the IRS will amend that rule to include takeout receipts so in the long run you will be hurting waiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink