Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:22 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Near my son's house in NC, there's an old fashioned elegant country club. On Sundays the brunch is open to the public.
White tablecloths
Professional waiters in uniforms
Mimosas and Bloody Mary's (after 12:00)
A lovely array of beautiful breakfast foods, like Eggs Benedict and omelettes to order, as well as roast beef and roast lamb, lots of side dishes, oysters on the half shell, and lots of desserts.
All this for $29.00, including tip.
If I lived there, I'd like to go every Sunday. I'm not a big eater, but I enjoy it as much for the hushed atmosphere and general ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
In honor of it being Sunday, what is your favorite Sunday Brunch meal?
Definitely bottomless Mimosas or a Bloody Mary bar.

I like this one place on the river in Jacksonville that has AYCE seafood, omelet station, eggs Benedict station, Prime Rib, etc. On special occasions when I would come to visit Dad we went there.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Do you like to cook at home or eat out?
I'd like to eat out, but weekends are too crowded at brunch places. Looking forward to retirement when we can do this on weekends. When we do go out for brunch, I usually end up getting a Mexican-style egg dish. We avoid buffet-style brunches because we would overeat.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We like a local brunch buffet with prime rib, salmon, shrimp, made to order omelettes, salad, fruit, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, waffles, buffalo wings, mac and cheese, chicken strips, broccoli and rice, green beans, other vegetables and entree type things I can't remember because I don't normally eat them, as well as an assortment of desserts including various cakes, cookies and cobblers, cinnamon rolls and bread pudding.

I agree with this!!

Old 08-29-2017, 02:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
It's funny, around here, except for a few places, we don't have brunch buffets unless you go to a hotel then it is $125++ a person.

I don't know many things more decadent than day drinking!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
rarely do we do brunch. Only time we ever went out for brunch was Easter Sunday. Haven't done that in 5 years. Sundays at our house is just like any other day except we sleep late. I make a special breakfast for DH and I have my usual 7 days a week.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We like a local brunch buffet with prime rib, salmon, shrimp, made to order omelettes, salad, fruit, eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, waffles, buffalo wings, mac and cheese, chicken strips, broccoli and rice, green beans, other vegetables and entree type things I can't remember because I don't normally eat them, as well as an assortment of desserts including various cakes, cookies and cobblers, cinnamon rolls and bread pudding.
That's just too heavier of food options for me as a mid day meal / brunch

I can eat all of that for dinner ... but brunch ? No way I would enjoy ribs - or prime rib salmon or buff wings or chicken strips in the middle of the day

I guess to each their own .... but to me brunch is 90% breakfast with a couple lite options also tossed into the mix

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Near my son's house in NC, there's an old fashioned elegant country club. On Sundays the brunch is open to the public.
White tablecloths
Professional waiters in uniforms
Mimosas and Bloody Mary's (after 12:00)
A lovely array of beautiful breakfast foods, like Eggs Benedict and omelettes to order, as well as roast beef and roast lamb, lots of side dishes, oysters on the half shell, and lots of desserts.
All this for $29.00, including tip.
If I lived there, I'd like to go every Sunday. I'm not a big eater, but I enjoy it as much for the hushed atmosphere and general ambiance.
Here we can serve the drinks before noon, we just can't buy booze in the store at all on Sunday. Golly our southern states have some strange laws. Our brunch, which is similar as you are talking about is less expensive but certainly no oysters or leg of lamb. It is still just $15.99 and with a membership card it is 10% but does not include drinks or tip. Yes, they are all in professional attire. I would still love to try yours out, sounds awesome.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I don't have Sunday brunch very often (I work on Sundays for one thing...) but I love the brunch I grew up with that my mother still makes when I visit is my favorite:

Various breads: dense slices of whole wheat, Wasa crackers, toasted English muffins

Topped with: butter and your choice of: slices of Jarlsberg, Geitost, or Gouda, salami, liverwurst, pickled herring, shrimp salad, cod roe kaviar, slices of cucumber, jams and preserves

Also: eggs fried, scrambled with dill, or soft boiled in cups, bacon

To drink: coffee, tea, milk

Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
One of the restaurants at my ski resort does a Sunday brunch. If the skiing is lousy, I occasionally quit early and head there for brunch. I always get the same thing. They make their own corned beef hash with grilled onions and peppers. A half order of that on an English muffin with a poached egg and a half order of Rossini which is a small filet, pate, poached egg, and a beef stock & red wine reduction on an English muffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink