Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

My mom liked Cracker Barrel, and dragged me to one. Now, I have a rule about restaurants where you walk through a STORE to get to the restaurant, especially one that sells "Kountry Klutter"....just say no.

But my mother swore it was good...and it was. We don't have them near us,so I've only been once.

Regarding salads? The thing with salads is, once you know the pertinent numbers you need to know, you can pretty much predict what you're going to get. There's a place we go where I get a crispy chicken salad...it's got a sliced battered chicken tender on top. It's really good, and I budget about 35 carbs for the salad. I get my dressing on the side, because, if you don't, often, you get dressing with a side of salad. And if the piece of chicken is huge...part of it comes home, or I pick off the coating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I've never been to one of these restaurants, but isn't the point of chains to make all of them as close to identical as possible? Or, to put it another way, I really can't see a point to this endeavor.
The layout and menu and service are all alike, but the decorative items around the dining room are different. So it is a familiar place, but interesting.
A key feature is the gift shop where you wait before being seated.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mom liked Cracker Barrel, and dragged me to one. Now, I have a rule about "restaurants" where you walk through a STORE to get to the "restaurant", especially one that sells "Kountry Klutter"....just say no.
<>
That is a good description of DisneyWhatever and every theme park in the word. Just substitute "restaurant or ride".

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
One word: Poutine

For those of you who may not know,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
Hahaha!!! I hate that nasty stuff! The cheese curds give me the willies.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
<>(I've got coffee cups from places I visit. Small, easy to pack, and I use them. I've got an awful lot of coffee cups, though)
Some people I know collect thimbles. Much more compact.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, first of all, how cute are they!?!!? ADORABLE! Look at their smiles! Love it!

My only experience at a Cracker Barrel went like this: (Keep in mind that I'm Canadian.)

The year: 2003. I was doing a contract job in Wichita, Kansas but, first, we were having a few meetings in Kansas City, Missouri. (Kansas the state, Kansas City the city, Kansas the band... Anyway.) My colleagues from Los Angeles arrived in KC hours before I did. By the time I flew in, it was late, we were all tired, but we were hungry. Wanting something quick, one of them suggested Cracker Barrel. I'd never been, I didn't care, I just wanted food and then bed. Anyway. We got there, we ordered, and while were were waiting, I was looking at the plates passing by as they were being carried by the waitstaff. And then I saw it. I thought someone had vomited on their plate. I gagged and covered my mouth. When one of my colleagues asked what was wrong, I told her what I'd seen. She looked over. "Oh! That's white gravy! Haven't you ever seen that before???" No. No, no, no, I had not. And that was it, I was done -- I didn't eat my meal (I don't even remember what I ordered) nor have I gone to Cracker Barrel again because I can't scoop that barf-on-a-plate memory from my head.

But that couple is adorable.

ETA: Purely coincidence that blueherons and I both called them adorable. I was typing my SAGA while the previous post was posted.
My reaction isn't that extreme but I don't like the white wallpaper paste that they call "gravy".

I ate at CB once when I was having a medical procedure; done in two parts - fast for the first part, go have something to eat and then return for the second part. Nearest restaurant was CB so that's where I went. Half the breakfast was left on the plate.

Years later, my #2 son insisted on taking me there for breakfast, despite my protest that I would rather eat dirt. He assured me that I had just "ordered the wrong thing" on my previous visit. Turns out I hadn't and I'm not going back for another try.

I don't have to eat there so I won't.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:43 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
One word: Poutine

For those of you who may not know,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
Have had this before. It wasn't bad, but you've got to be really in the mood for serious greasy/fatty eats. If memory serves, it's most often encountered in Quebec. Definitely not a food to make one's cardiologist happy.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 AM

93 posts, read 83,433 times
There's no way I could ever visit every Cracker Barrel there is. I'd be dead of dehydration as their food has a pronounced laxative effect on me.

But congrats to them!

Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I imagine they thought it would be a good way to see a lot of America. Obviously they must be big fans of the place too!
Just some simple math......644 visits (#645 was complimentary).....even at $40 a stop that is over $25,000 in Cracker Barrel spending.

They probably would have been better off getting hired by the company to give their opinion on each store as an "undercover shopper." They clearly would see the stores better than even the most seasoned store manager would.

Even getting $50 per store (plus food reimbursement) would have been over 32K in income and given CB corporate some serious feedback!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
We've eaten at Cracker Barrels in CT, VA, NC, GA, FL, TN, my wife enjoys them (probably more for the gift shop), food is OK, but pretty much cookie cutter. Why visit all of them? Hey, not on my bucket list, but if these folks got some enjoyment from crossing it off theirs, good for them! I hope it brought a smile to their gravy stained faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink