Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:36 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times

Advertisements

Growing up we would always have bread and butter with our meals. Both my parents grew up in the depression.

My father used to relate the rule in his house when he was growing up - if you don't eat bread, you don't get the rest of the meal. There were 11 children in the house being raised by his widowed mother, so it makes sense. Bread will fill you up so you need less of the actual dinner.

I love bread & butter to this day. My favorite is crusty Italian bread - least favorite is plain white store-bought bread. Homemade is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
i hate toast bread, but i would enjoy a slice of fresh crispy baguette with butter just soft enough to be spread... Or any german style rye with crispy crust. (not sure why so many people prefer soft "crust" over crispy) for me bread without crust isn't a bread

yass!!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 04:04 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,073,191 times
I have just rediscovered unsalted butter..(mentioned above somewhere) and boy, I am lovin it!
Sprouts has this cranberry walnut loaf that is delicious w/the unsalted butter, Great on sour dough bread too.

Might be time to pull out the bread making machine....

Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Which side do you butter?
Why, the top side, of course.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
A crusty French loaf with unsalted Danish butter. There used to be a restaurant here in town that had the most unusual types of bread in their bread baskets. You never knew what you were going to get but they were always divine. I don't eat much bread at home but bread baskets in restaurants are my downfall. I'm usually full by the time the food comes.
Mmm, French bread. I was in Paris recently and our hotel had an amazing breakfast buffet. I could not get enough of the fresh baguettes that they put out every day.

Or the baguettes that every restaurant put on the table when the meal was served. I noticed bread did not come before any other plates were served.

A few months ago I bought a bar of Finlandia butter. Never tasted butter so creamy and sweet

Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,073,191 times
I was watching Ina Garten the other day and she and the gentleman she had on were having a 'butter tasting'. Your post bellakin123 abt the Finlandia reminded me of it.

I guess I never really thought abt diff tastes in butter, something abt the amount of salt that gets added.
So, Ina only cooks with unsalted butter, in case anyone wants to know...lol.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I was watching Ina Garten the other day and she and the gentleman she had on were having a 'butter tasting'. Your post bellakin123 abt the Finlandia reminded me of it.

I guess I never really thought abt diff tastes in butter, something abt the amount of salt that gets added.
So, Ina only cooks with unsalted butter, in case anyone wants to know...lol.
You should always use unsalted butter for baking and cooking because recipes call for salt so using salted butter throws everything off.

Yeah, it's amazing how butters taste differently. I couldn't get enough in Europe. It tasted completely different. It didn't have a heavy, fatty taste to it at all.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Last night I was so hungry! I buttered a piece of Dave's Killer Bread (the Good Seed variety) and added a light schmear of honey. So good! Went to bed happy.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I like Miracle Whip sandwiches... just the bread and the spread. Haven't had one in a long time, but this thread made me want one. Lol

Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Kerrygold butter for me. Any type of fresh bread, but it's hard to beat a good sourdough or french loaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink