Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies (I will rep all that I can! ).

MBM and Emm74, I've only bought organic thighs once, and I think they were something like $5-6/lb, compared to $1.49-$1.99/lb. when they are on sale. That's for the boneless, skinless ones. The bone-in, skin-on thighs go on sale every few weeks for 88 cents/lb. -- I have gotten them as low as 77 cents/lb.!! I use those all the time in my crock pot so I stock up during those sales!

Hannaford often has boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for <$2/lb. I use those a lot for baking and stir-fries. MAYBE organic would taste a bit better when baked with minimal seasonings (so the taste of the chicken itself is "king" ), but I really like how they taste ALREADY so it's hard to justify spending almost $10/lb. just to do a taste test!

DG and GC, I had never heard of "old chicken"! Alas, I live in the boonies of New Hampshire so no Asian markets nearby.

Thanks to everyone else as well (and reps to all that I can!). I eat chicken a LOT as I like the taste AND it is so inexpensive these days. Can't believe some versions are 1/3 the price of the ground beef I buy. I do crave beef sometimes, though. <sigh!>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I do notice a significant difference between the chicken you find in pre-sealed bags versus some "fresher" varieties. The skin in those bagged ones is usually way too thick, and the meat FULL of extra fat. Not sure if this has anything to do with farming practices, but Id assume so.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:42 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
We got some chicken at Walmart the other day. The skin was falling off, and it didn't smell right. I'll stick with regular markets from now on.

And chicken here is NEVER 88cents a pound. I wish.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We got some chicken...and it didn't smell right...
My wife often comments on the sensitivity of my nose. I always smell meats before preparing them, and chicken is one that has me gagging when it's "off".

Old 09-14-2017, 03:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I'm sensitive about raw chicken too, and have had to throw out packs from time to time when it smelled off. There are some supermarket brands I won't buy because it's been off (at least per my nose) more than once. We get Perdue here now (didn't when I first moved here) and that's usually pretty good, when I can find it on sale, or I get it at Sprouts and their store brand is good too.

This is the brand I really like. I think it is better, and also it's usually trimmed better, so it does justify some price premium, just not quite as much as it usually is. Plus they don't have boneless chicken thighs, which are something I use a lot of the time.

Red Bird Farms

Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
...This is the brand I really like. I think it is better...
Red Bird Farms
Yum - did you see the recipes on their web site?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sensitive about raw chicken too, and have had to throw out packs from time to time when it smelled off. There are some supermarket brands I won't buy because it's been off (at least per my nose) more than once. We get Perdue here now (didn't when I first moved here) and that's usually pretty good, when I can find it on sale, or I get it at Sprouts and their store brand is good too.

This is the brand I really like. I think it is better, and also it's usually trimmed better, so it does justify some price premium, just not quite as much as it usually is. Plus they don't have boneless chicken thighs, which are something I use a lot of the time.

Red Bird Farms
Have you tried deboning yourself? It's easier than you might think.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Have you tried deboning yourself? It's easier than you might think.
My (lack of good) knife skills are my biggest weakness as a cook. Besides, I can't afford the brand that doesn't have the boneless thighs! I get it on sale as an occasional treat, but I'm not buying enough of it to worry about deboning it myself, and when you consider the waste (bones, skin, excess fat), I would not really be saving enough money to do it myself on the more reasonably priced chicken.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
...when you consider the waste (bones, skin, excess fat)...
That's not waste, that's chicken stock.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's not waste, that's chicken stock.
I agree. Cut the bone in half and throw the whole mess into a slow cooker or low heat pot. Use it for soups, stews, stir fry, you name it. You won't regret it.

I do hear you on the prices though. If you're getting boneless for cheaper and that's what you like, then you can't beat it.

Side note: I made an investment on a knife set a few years back that was quite costly; one of the best dollars I've spent in a while. Well worth it if you're in the kitchen a lot, and you won't see it until you own and use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink