Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 38,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I think it is the warm water, then the yeast, then the dry ingredients (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Yeast goes on top!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM

979 posts, read 3,821,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Good news, I contacted LG electronics and they sent me the manual!
Thanks for all your help-
Sorry just read this thread... but GOOD! I'm glad you found it!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,849,394 times
Glad you found it! Just FYI, I buy bread machine yeast in a jar, in the flour aisle at your grocery store. That way you can add what you need, without using envelopes and throwing away the excess each time. And so much cheaper, too.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 PM

301 posts, read 818,633 times
Put the liquid ingredients in first, with the salt, then flours. Make a small indentation in the top of the flour and add the yeast there. You don't want the yeast to come in contact with the salt or the liquids until the machine starts to knead it all together.

I'm struggling with a Sunbeam 5891 that I just received. I had bread makers years ago and am again getting back into it. This particular model seems to turn out the toughest crust! Is it the model, the ingredients, or my technique? Any troubleshooting tips will be appreciated! I never had this problem in the past with my other machines, so am at a true loss to figure it out!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,196,354 times
Default Bread Machine recomendations

Yesterday I pulled out my at least 7 year old West Bend breadmaker. I am so sad, but I think its time is about up. It always was a noisy thing, but I think the motor is starting to go, the side was really hot and it was making more noise than usual.

To be proactive I was looking up new machines to see how much they cost and goodness, there are a lot of new models out there. I could buy one from anywhere from 50 dollars to 200 dollars.

So my question to you is, is there really enough of a difference for what you get for your money from the cheaper vs the top of the line?

What machine do you use and do you like it?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,257,766 times
I've had a Panasonic like forever. I think it is a little costlier than the bottom of the line models, but seems to have a stronger motor than some cheaper ones I've had.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 PM

746 posts, read 3,492,489 times
Well I bought a Breadman TR875 Breadmaker and it was kaput right out of the box. I have spent the past two and a half months trying to get it replaced by the company under its warranty - ACT in Bedford Heights, OH without success.

Oh the customer service people are nice enough. They say they will replace it and a new one should arrive in 7-10 days, and of course it doesn't. I am quite frustrated and also reading this thread with interest. I guess I have to consider my money lost forever. And I am not sure I will take another chance.

So if you are buying a bread machine, you might want to check around to see which companies back up their products, and which do not. Clearly I have found one that yesses you to death, and then does nothing.

Caveat emptor.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,884 times
Can you Help me? i need this manual too... can you send me the manual? Please...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,302,791 times
My dad's old bread machine advises to sprinkle the yeast on the bottom, in the four corners, furthest away from the centre where it heats most.

The golden rule is to mix your salt into the flour, and soda, etc., that way if it comes up against the yeast it's ok.

The dry ingredients go in after the yeast, making a well in the middle.

Wet ingredients, ie honey, melted butter, milk, water, etc., are mixed together and then emptied into the 'well' of dry ingredients.

I think his is a black and decker and it's old, and the bread loaf bakes in an oblong shape, not a normal bread shape.

I've found it helps to butter the container as the breads seem to stick in certain places, even though the instructions say otherwise .. but it's pretty old.

I'd be interested in hearing from others what brands you're using and how you like them. They're sure handy when there's not a great bread source around, and better than heating up the oven for one loaf.

Think what keeps me from buying one and using it all the time, I'd end up looking like a loaf of bread in no time flat .. hard to not dive into hot, fresh bread right out of the oven!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 AM

305 posts, read 1,725,086 times
Resurrecting this to see if anyone else has an opinion.

I'm considering getting a bread machine but don't know much about brands or what exactly I'll need; I've never made my own bread before, but I make pizza dough and tortillas, and I'm trying to move towards making most things from scratch. Are there any particular machines that are good for beginners, or that are good in general but not too expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink