Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM

983 posts, read 992,898 times

Advertisements

I'm addicted to smoked salt. I need a constant supply on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,346,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I should have specified. I'm very familiar with bechamel sauce (too familiar!) but not in the microwave but -- thank you again! -- I will make sure that I find that special flour before attempting it with my year-old all-purpose clumpy flour.
Try using Wondra flour. Never clumps. You'll find it by the regular flour in a tall blue cardboard can. Love it and it makes stove top white/bechamel sauces so easy.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,127,803 times
I took a Thai cooking class In Thailand and learned about Curry Paste and Fish Sauce (rotten anchovies). These ingredients allow me to make seafood soups that frame the seafood (shrimp, almost any kind of fish) very very well.

I use plenty of ginger, garlic, shallots, chili peppers, mushrooms and improvise to keep the idea fresh. These are super healthy soups that I think I'll be making the rest of my life.

They are pretty easy, just some chopping time, then you cook on high heat in a wok in different intervals.

I tried it with mahi mahi last night, so good. Although the mahi mahi was so tasty I just want to put butter on it next time.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:53 AM

19,093 posts, read 25,259,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Based on the frequent recommendations here for TJ's lemon olive oil, I purchased a bottle. One of the very few things I've ever returned to them.
TJ's Lemon Olive Oil is...okay... but not much beyond simply "okay". The price, as you would expect, is very reasonable, but it just doesn't measure-up to the better Lemon Olive Oils, such as Lucini.

I have found Zeta Lemon Olive Oil, from Israel, to be very good also.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:07 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,804,046 times
A little goes a long way with this....love it. I mix smoked pap, cumin, ground coriander and a bit of dry red pepper for a mix to use with okra, gr beans etc. Coat veggies in olive oil, toss with dry mix, roast at 450F until desired softness..

Very spicy!

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
smoked paprika-
stumbled across this for a Jamaican chicken crockpot recipe but now I incorporate it in a lot of things- sprinkle on my home fries while cooking, add to ground beef for my burger patties, or to the olive oil/ salt/ pepper marinade I use for the items ready to be put on the grill for BBQ...

Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 AM

Lucky you!

I have seen red, green and yellow curry pastes...which is better or how do they differ???

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I took a Thai cooking class In Thailand and learned about Curry Paste and Fish Sauce (rotten anchovies). These ingredients allow me to make seafood soups that frame the seafood (shrimp, almost any kind of fish) very very well.

I use plenty of ginger, garlic, shallots, chili peppers, mushrooms and improvise to keep the idea fresh. These are super healthy soups that I think I'll be making the rest of my life.

They are pretty easy, just some chopping time, then you cook on high heat in a wok in different intervals.

I tried it with mahi mahi last night, so good. Although the mahi mahi was so tasty I just want to put butter on it next time.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the info....I saw them this yr but store called them yellow plums!

Love using ghee, Indian-inspired dishes are popular at my home.

QUOTE=Jkgourmet;49551867]A fruit hybrid. 75% plum, 25% apricot. Plumcot is another name I've seen for them, as well as Dinosaur fruit - which relates to a large grower of these things (sorta like calling a tissue "kleenex".)

Pluots are delicious. Very sweet, VERY juicy. The skin is less tart than a plum. Don't get them when they are really soft because that means they are overripe. They are widely available during the summer, and I suspect you've seen them at the grocery but thought they were reddish plums. They usually are larger than plums.

Based on the frequent recommendations here for TJ's lemon olive oil, I purchased a bottle. One of the very few things I've ever returned to them. Along with the sauerkraut with Persian cucumbers.

I will look for that broccoli kugel. Rosh Hashonah (spelling apologies) is next week so I'm hoping to find it. Our costo tends to have lots of Asian and Indian products, reflecting our local demographics. Sadly, I rarely buy them because the sizes are too large for me to use quickly. (56 ounce bottle of ghee anyone?)[/quote]

Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,207,483 times
I've become addicted to anchovy paste, come in a tube that you squeeze out the paste,great on tomato and cheese sandwiches or a dollop in soups or stews for added flavor. i use this one = https://sybaritica.files.wordpress.c...vy-paste-1.jpg

Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM

19,416 posts, read 27,747,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks for the info....I saw them this yr but store called them yellow plums!
Actually, yellow plums are not the same as yellow pluots. IME, The yellow plums are not as sweet or as juicy as the yellow pluots. They also tend to be harder than the pluots.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,127,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Lucky you!

I have seen red, green and yellow curry pastes...which is better or how do they differ???

[/b]
They are all similar but kind of like wine, some go better with different foods. Green curry paste has green chilis and basil in it and is milder, and for some reason goes better with chicken.

Red curry paste has red chilis in it, is hotter and goes best with seafood/fish.

Yellow curry is less commonly used has turmeric and is mild, perhaps best with vegetables.

I've yet to see curry pastes sold in regular supermarkets, only Asian. No matter which I use, I never think of the dishes as being mild, I prefer a nice level of heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink