Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 02:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
What's a modern liberal to do in these times?
heehee
Just do what you're doing, spread it around from place to place.
I agree with you that Starbucks isn't all bad.
But I just could not spend that kind of money on a drink every morning.
OTOH
I think coffee shops *in general* are nice,warm gathering places for folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Default Good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
...I just could not spend that kind of money on a drink every morning.
Right, that's why I almost NEVER go to a coffeehouse, I make mine at home and I do it the way I like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
OTOH
I think coffee shops *in general* are nice,warm gathering places for folks.
OTOH, you are oh-so-right. That's what I'm missing out on. Is it the coffee that people go there for? Partly. But I bet a lot of coffeehouses make more of their money from people who are there to be with others in a social environment. We can all make our own coffee, but we can't make a spontaneous public gathering in our homes without getting a citation for violating a zoning ordinance and risking the theft of our privacy and belongings!

Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
I'm not usually one for mixed coffee drinks. I prefer my coffee dark roasted, freshly ground, freshly brewed, and I like it strong and black! I buy the beans, grind them, then brew them myself at home. I do like the coffee at LaMar's Donuts in Springfield though too and will buy a large when I buy the donuts. Starbucks house coffee doesn't taste right to me. The only time I've regularly gone to Starbucks was in Manila, Philippines in late 2004 through early 2005. There was one in the shopping mall across from my hotel and they were under $2 U.S., so I did it. Plus, it was about the only thing I could drink from a public business there that didn't have me shooting diarrhea like a firehose within 30 minutes. But back in the U.S...nope, it's overpriced and for the price of one fancy coffee drink, I can buy a tin of Cafe Vienna at the store and make my own fancy coffees at home when I want to I'm a tightwad on certain things and if I have to pay $4 for coffee, I'd be seriously preoccupied by how wasteful that is!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:14 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I prefer my coffee dark roasted, freshly ground, freshly brewed, and I like it strong and black! I buy the beans, grind them, then brew them myself at home.
Score one more for Springfield, MO.

I like it like that, except with a dash of heavy cream. I'll supply my own cream when I come a-knockin' on your door at 7 in the morning....

Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Default Not my preference.

First of all, I don't speak "Starbucks". I live in the land of small, medium, and large, not pretentious names like tall, grande, etc.

The expense has already been covered. I brew my own coffee at home for that very reason.

I don't know about the social interaction at Starbucks, either. In my area, everyone seems to be typing away on a laptop, and people park in a chair at Starbucks there for hours!

By the way, MoMark, thank you for that oh-so-vivid visual I got from your most recent post.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Wink Guilty

I Love my Starbuck's I do however brew it at home most of the time. But every now and them I break down and actually get it at Starbuck's Lucky for me, Here in NH it is Mainly Dunkin Donuts and there coffe is nasty without Cream and sugar it is very Bitter. But when I do pass a Starbucks like at Target in Bedford Or in Keene I make sure to stop and get a Coffee It is just plain good coffee. I guess Living in Seattle with my dad when I was a teenager rubed off.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,125 times
I do, drink most my coffee at home.. I drink a pot a day. I use folgers and my coffee is bad black.
Taste like dirt.
I pour on the fat free creamers to cover up the dirt taste.
Do you think a good coffee pot makes a difference or is it the coffee?

Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,370 times
I don't do Starbucks either. I use coffee's ugly stepchild, instant. Decaf at that. If I'm tired, coffee puts me to sleep. Don't know why. But I just like 'a cup of coffee' Burger King makes excellent coffee. Starbucks plain coffee is SO strong it's nasty.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:14 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Jeez...I guess I AM the only one.

I usually drive through but I do enjoy going in and typing away on my laptop. The atmosphere is great and I probably get more paperwork done there then I do when I'm at work. Yes, $5 a day may not be exactly cheap but it's one of those little things that make life special.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
I do, drink most my coffee at home.. I drink a pot a day. I use folgers and my coffee is bad black.
Taste like dirt.
I pour on the fat free creamers to cover up the dirt taste.
Do you think a good coffee pot makes a difference or is it the coffee?
No it is the coffee. Well unless you never clean your coffee maker lol. And it helps if you grind it yourself too. and always use Ice cold water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink