Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:08 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not sure what is so difficult about the question. How can they use a trademarked name that is owned by a different entity?

You can't name your product the same as another product when the owner of that product has trademarked the name. I can't create a product and call it "Coca-Cola".
No, but you can sell a "Coca-Cola © ™ ®" drink on your menu if you include the correct symbol.

AAAAnyway, Shoney's derived from Big Boy's as a regional variation. Elby's was a Pennsylvania variation.
There's a good article on wiki if anybody cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No, but you can sell a "Coca-Cola © ™ ®" drink on your menu if you include the correct symbol.
That's not the issue here. The sandwich in question is not using the trademarked meat snack slim jims. So they are using a trademarked name for a completely different product.

That would be like me listing a purple soda on my menu and calling it a Coca-Cola™

Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Funny thing about trademarks and copyrights, besides being career fields for lawyers, these are restricted to industry applications. You can have a newspaper named Mother's and a car wax named Mother's without a problem, unless the lawyers decide to make it an issue.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Shoneys probably pays SlimJim owners a few $$ to use the name.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Funny thing about trademarks and copyrights, besides being career fields for lawyers, these are restricted to industry applications. You can have a newspaper named Mother's and a car wax named Mother's without a problem, unless the lawyers decide to make it an issue.
But we're not talking about newspapers vs. car wax. We're talking about two food products.

Clearly it caused confusion in this thread.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
A Slim Jim sandwich? Wow. Things I've never thought about eating and never eating right there. It's like a bad game show....how much gross stuff can we create and get people to eat. I can see why Shoney's doesn't exist in my part of the country.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I think Shoney's is mainly in the south and Big boy is in the north of the U.S. Our Shoney's here in Tennessee is not as good as it once was.
Big Boy isn't all over the North. It doesn't exist anywhere around here in Western/Upstate NY.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A Slim Jim sandwich? Wow. Things I've never thought about eating and never eating right there. It's like a bad game show....how much gross stuff can we create and get people to eat. I can see why Shoney's doesn't exist in my part of the country.
Keep reading ... It's not a sandwich made of Slim Jim meat snacks. It's basically a ham & swiss sandwich.

(And people wonder why I raised the trademark question?)

Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Keep reading ... It's not a sandwich made of Slim Jim meat snacks. It's basically a ham & swiss sandwich.

(And people wonder why I raised the trademark question?)
I ended up googling it. Sure sounded like it was made from Slim Jims....GROSS!!!

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what is so difficult about the question. How can they use a trademarked name that is owned by a different entity?

You can't name your product the same as another product when the owner of that product has trademarked the name. I can't create a product and call it "Coca-Cola".
Not to get WAAAAY of the topic, but I think it may have something to do with the fact that "slim jim" seems to be a widely used term to refer to various things. Rubbermaid apparently has a model of trash can it calls a slim jim. And I think it's also slang for a tool used to break into a car. When it's a phrase that is fairly commonly used or has multiple meanings, I don't think it's a slam dunk to sue regarding trademarks.

In fact, it loooks like Slim Jim has been trademarked by both Rubbermaid and whoever produces the jerky stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink