Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times

Advertisements

Well I am down a bit south of you in University Place so you know.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:25 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
$6-10 for a teryaki rice bowl around Los Angeles area with no drink

Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 36,877 times
I lived in Seattle most of my life before moving to the midwest a few years ago.
When people ask me what I miss most, besides friends and family, the answer is "mountains, the Puget Sound, and teriyaki places on every corner selling large portions for cheap!"
To get teriyaki in St Louis you have to go to a Japanese restaurant. You'll get about 8 little slices of chicken and a tiny pile of rice for about $10 - $12.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I don't even know where I'd get teriyaki. If it's on the menu at a Japanese restaurant, I've certainly never looked for it. If I'm in a Japanese place, I'm ordering sushi.

At home, I buy Korean bulgogi sauce at the Asian grocery store and marinate boneless chicken thighs in it. That's $2.00/pound for the chicken. Before I discovered that, I used to make my own teriyaki sauce. I'm not going to a restaurant for something I can do better at home with 30 seconds of prep time and 10 minutes on the Weber. That's a go-to of mine for pot luck events. It's equally good hot or cold.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisF6 View Post
I lived in Seattle most of my life before moving to the midwest a few years ago.
When people ask me what I miss most, besides friends and family, the answer is "mountains, the Puget Sound, and teriyaki places on every corner selling large portions for cheap!"
To get teriyaki in St Louis you have to go to a Japanese restaurant. You'll get about 8 little slices of chicken and a tiny pile of rice for about $10 - $12.
That's no exaggeration

There are more Teriyaki places here in the Seattle area than anywhere I have ever seen

I think the competition to attract and keep customers is what keeps prices reasonable and portions both large and pretty decent quality food

Old 09-21-2017, 12:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea it includes a free can of soda or bottle water ( dine in or takeout is free drink - both ways )

here is the Yelp link for the exact place if others are interested in seeing the menu / prices

https://www.yelp.com/biz/teriyaki-bo...e?osq=teriyaki

Although it seems cheap on a per meal basis - I think like a mathematician and biz owner and calculate what I think a meal costs

I see each order of teriyaki take out like this:

cost of 12 oz of chicken thigh (boneless ) = 80 cents wholesale purchase
cost of rice portion 10 cents
cost of can of soda or bottle water wholesale cost - 10 cents
cost of packaging / plastic fork bag etc - maybe 20 cents

so I see a direct cost of around $1.20- $1.50 for the food items

factor in rent for building utilities and employee costs ins etc and that I am sure adds a couple dollars ea serving so lets say $4

That has them profiting around $4 every order they sell - sounds reasonable to me

click the below link to see the exact meal on the left in pic - the chicken is sitting on a large bed of rice so the serving of rice is much bigger than appears. I also usually order it skip the veggies in the corner and they add more rice. I just make a small salad at home to eat with it. Usually get a full meal and left over portion for next day small snack or lunch

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/teri...ource=(direct)
Wholesale water/soda is closer to $.40-$.50
Don't forget the sauce!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Wholesale water/soda is closer to $.40-$.50
Don't forget the sauce!
retail cost from Costco for a 16oz bottle water ( which ironically the Teriyaki restaurant offers Costco - Kirkland brand water as the choice )

retail price is $3.50 for I think 30 bottles - is less than 12 cents ea
The canned soda they offer is the non coke / non pepsi generic type and I am sure can be bought wholesale less than 20 cents a can

I was pretty accurate with my breakdowns I think

Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
$0.20 ea, and that's when buying an entire pallet.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100344425.html

There's also cooking oil, seasoning, teriyaki sauce, etc. And operating costs include MUCH MUCH more than rent, utilities, employee costs, and insurance. (Yes, I know you said "etc", but that etc can be quite extensive)

Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
$0.20 ea, and that's when buying an entire pallet.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100344425.html
I buy the EXACT single cases at Costco and I know for a fact the indiv case is priced under $4

so $4 ea and 40 bottles is NOT 20 cents ea

Not disputing your posted full pallet web link.

But I buy indiv cases near every couple weeks and know for a fact they are priced at like $3.74 ea case or something near exact cost

something not right with that full pallet price quote

Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
I don't know of ANY Teriyaki take out by me - it's just "Chinese". I admit I haven't looked though - it's not something I've ever "had" unless I make it myself.

ETA - nope - just checked. I did a search on Teriyaki take out and my town, I get links to places that have Teriyaki Wings like Gators Wing Shack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink