Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times

Advertisements

Help! I've been trying to incorporate more fish into my diet, but the air in my house seems to hold these heavy odors no matter how I cook it. I've tried numerous air fresheners and disinfecting sprays, but none really seem to do much. Am I doomed to spend a few hundred dollars on a large air filtering system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
I grill a lot of times outdoors.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:51 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times
LOL, I'm about ready to move my stove into the garage!!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
No exhaust fan on that stove? How about a fan in the window, pointing out? But no, my house has low ceilings and i can smell boiling pasta in the back bedroom hours later.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,767,731 times
Supposedly, baking soda helps with odors. Try opening a box or two.

Let us know if it helps.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Help! I've been trying to incorporate more fish into my diet, but the air in my house seems to hold these heavy odors no matter how I cook it. I've tried numerous air fresheners and disinfecting sprays, but none really seem to do much. Am I doomed to spend a few hundred dollars on a large air filtering system?
The air does not hold the odors, surfaces do. You really need to keep the air moving the vapors out of the house while cooking before they can settle onto any surfaces. After they do they'll last a long while, especially on soft surfaces like upholstery, drapes and carpets.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
We installed a high volume vent hood that actually vents the exhaust outside instead of back into the room. We also use odor neutralizing candles.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Fish is good for you and tastes better than red meat but yeah, it can stink up the place.

Some things to try:

Use aluminum foil to wrap it in when baking it

Close doors on the inside (bedrooms, etc.)

Open the kitchen window and put a fan in with the front of it facing outwards so that the air is drawn out the window (and hopefully some of the smell, too)

Try boiling a mix of vinegar and water

Simmer pots also work well, too. I use lavender but cinnamon covers it up pretty well.

Make sure that any scraps/uneaten fish is thrown away in a sealed bag.

Air fresheners and Febreeze can also be your friends.

I've cooked a lot of fish, primarily the extra smelly kinds like mackerel and salmon. Hopefully some of this is helpful to you.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Fish is good for you and tastes better than red meat but yeah, it can stink up the place.

Some things to try:

Use aluminum foil to wrap it in when baking it

Close doors on the inside (bedrooms, etc.)

Open the kitchen window and put a fan in with the front of it facing outwards so that the air is drawn out the window (and hopefully some of the smell, too)

Try boiling a mix of vinegar and water

Simmer pots also work well, too. I use lavender but cinnamon covers it up pretty well.

Make sure that any scraps/uneaten fish is thrown away in a sealed bag.

Air fresheners and Febreeze can also be your friends.

I've cooked a lot of fish, primarily the extra smelly kinds like mackerel and salmon. Hopefully some of this is helpful to you.
^^Totally agree, especially with throwing away scraps. Any foils, wrappings, paper towels, etc, I throw those in a shopping bag (sometimes doubled) and into the trash. I usually use the exhaust vent and all the doors inside the house are closed. I found that baking isn't as bad as pan frying. That smell seems longer to get rid of so cleaning up the stove isn't something that can wait until the next day.

I immediately clean up the countertop, sink, wash cutting boards, knives, etc. I usually spray the countertop with disinfectant spray or use disinfectant wipes. Sometimes I cut a lemon and wipe the countertop and sink with it.

We use a lot of air sprays from Bath and Body Works. They have a huge selection and a squirt or 2 goes a long way. They neutralize the air rather than masking the odor like some air fresheners do.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 AM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
I cook a ton of fish at my home

At least 10-15 days in any given month and always inside / 99% of the time

And mostly pan fried in a cast iron skillet on the stove. maybe 5-10% of time is oven baking in foil

I am cooking halibut - salmon rockfish lingcod etc ...

My house never smells fishy.

I do have a patio slider that leads to the deck right at the end of my kitchen and on occasion I will open that up for a big fry

I simply use the vent fan in conjunction with covering the skillet with a 2nd upside down skillet that accomplishes 2 things:

1. it cooks the fish faster as heat is trapped in the skillet / cooking area
2. the upside down pan trick limits the airborne particles that may seep into the air and settle on surfaces and linger

I also use dissenfectant in the sinks as cleaning fish in the sink will leave a smell if you do not clean up properly

You must remove all fish trash from the home immediately ! Any scraps skin packaging or left overs not placed in the fridge in airtight wrap

Just a few hints from a fisherman who loves to eat fish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink