Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I noticed some deli roast beef at a local supermarket priced at $19.99/lb.
Holy Cow! Expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
My problem with cold cuts is the serving size for packaged meats. I would need a month to finish off a typical 1/2 pound and would have to eat just that one delicacy the whole time. My approach is to buy the 2 oz size, one at a time, and finish it off quickly. Very expensive approach, but it avoids waste.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Holy Cow! Expensive.
Maybe not "Holy" but certainly righteous.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:44 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
My problem with cold cuts is the serving size for packaged meats. I would need a month to finish off a typical 1/2 pound and would have to eat just that one delicacy the whole time. My approach is to buy the 2 oz size, one at a time, and finish it off quickly. Very expensive approach, but it avoids waste.
2 oz of deli lunch meat is like 2-3 slices ?

A half pound ( 8oz ) is like maybe 8-9-10 slices ?

Maybe none of my business ... but I have to ask: Why would it take you a month to eat 8-9 slices of cold cuts / deli meats ? That's like a couple sandwich's ??

Old 09-26-2017, 08:54 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
I refuse to pay $13 per lb for decent cold cuts of roast beef or black forest ham. or I refuse to pay $11 per lb for sliced turkey breast etc etc ...
Ouch.

Prices here in Montreal are still sane. From $2.50 (on sale) to $4/lbs for roastbeef, turkey, etc. deli meats. Canadian dollars, too, ie. that would translate into $2 - $3.50 in USD. Even more exotic stuff is relatively OK: prosciutto could run from $13USD/lbs (Quebec) to $23USD/lbs (Italy). Even some duck, kangaroo, bison, elk (hamburgers) are not that expensive ($7-$10USD for 2 big juicy ones). Probably it would be not the same for your nearby Vancouver, CA, though.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
The cost of the cold cuts combined with prep time is more expensive than just going to Wawa and ordering up a sandwich.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
2 oz of deli lunch meat is like 2-3 slices ?

A half pound ( 8oz ) is like maybe 8-9-10 slices ?

Maybe none of my business ... but I have to ask: Why would it take you a month to eat 8-9 slices of cold cuts / deli meats ? That's like a couple sandwich's ??
I was thinking the same thing. Lol

Old 09-27-2017, 07:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The cost of the cold cuts combined with prep time is more expensive than just going to Wawa and ordering up a sandwich.
I am guessing WaWa is a sub or sandwich shop ?

I addressed my experiences earlier in the thread with all the local sub shops near me and their much lower than substandard slimy / small portioned lunch meats they will try to pass onto their unsuspecting customers

having a sub or cold cut sandwich or au-jus beef dips is such a rare treat for myself I am going to use the most premium sandwich meat I can purchase. And it looks like I know now what the going rate is to enjoy the sandwich. Pay the price ... or opt for lower grade meats.

Now if I were consuming sandwich's at the pace I was back in the 90's and 2000s ( packing sandwichs daily into a lunch box as a union construction electrician) I would no doubt scale back my needs and be content with mid grade meats. Or opt for the 4-5lb spiral sliced whole ham that Costco offers ( price per lb around $3.25ish )

It all comes down to business and profits for the grocery store chains and I guess they look at that deli section as a cash cow for the store. No doubt the profit margins are so small on other consumables thru out the store ( canned goods bread milk frozen food items beverages etc ... ) They feel justified with their 300% mark up on premium cold cuts.

Yea my 300% is my guesstimation. But its an honest one and I am willing to be not far off the actual number.
That grocer is paying WHOLESALE discounted prices buying a semi truck full of them at their local distribution center ( that serves the entire tri-state area for most grocers ) I have been inside these massive distribution centers as a contractor by the way. Then they are shipping individual stores needs out in semi trucks from the distribution centers and dropping off a week or 2 supply of deli meat needs to individual stores.

I cannot fathom the grocer wholesaler paying more than $2-3 lb for the product wholesale that it is selling for $13 retail ( that markup is well byond 300% by the way )

A good over all profit margin for your avg business is 5-6% by the way

Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Ouch.

Prices here in Montreal are still sane. From $2.50 (on sale) to $4/lbs for roastbeef, turkey, etc. deli meats. Canadian dollars, too, ie. that would translate into $2 - $3.50 in USD. Even more exotic stuff is relatively OK: prosciutto could run from $13USD/lbs (Quebec) to $23USD/lbs (Italy). Even some duck, kangaroo, bison, elk (hamburgers) are not that expensive ($7-$10USD for 2 big juicy ones). Probably it would be not the same for your nearby Vancouver, CA, though.
I would think Montreal prices should be reasonable considering all of the pastures on the South Shore. It's one of the few cities that hasn't been subject to too much suburban sprawl (barring Brossard and Terrebonne/Repentigny of course.) I hope stores carry meats from local farms.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Maybe not "Holy" but certainly righteous.
That's some cow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink