Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM

29 posts, read 18,486 times

Advertisements

Ok, don't know where the sugar came in, but that's not something I typically use as a spice on anything. I use it as an ingredient in my quick breads, brownies, cakes and on occasion, fruit.

As for truly using spices, I come from a Puerto Rican background and we put garlic/cilantro/onion in or on most things (sofrito). However, rosemary, oregano, onion and garlic powder, or basil tend to go with any kind of meat or veggie, but you sortta need to stick with one theme...if your going to have rosemary/salt/pepper seasoning on your chicken, I wouldn't suggest putting oregano and garlic powder on your roasted veggies. Though both combos would taste great, they may not go together. One of my favorite combos is paprika, fried onions (crushed) and fresh minced garlic...it's like a party for veggies especially...(I add olive oil and use it to roast vegetables, then I lick my fingers...) I know, don't put the nasty face up, I just can't help it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
besides salt and pepper. Or do all spices have to be considered in context of what other spices are being used on a particular dish?
I guess for us it has to be garlic followed by Rosemary and Basil. I use quite a bit of cumen as well. Of course all types of peppers are in our fridge. As for sugar, I use almost none except in baking. Even home made bar b cue sauce is minus sugar for us, no matter what kind we make.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
These are my two main spices: Garlic powder and Lowry's Seasoned Salt.

I also use Montreal Steak spice on a lot of different meats, in scalloped potatoes, and in casseroles.
Lawry's for sure but I am more inclined to use whole garlic than powder. I do keep powder to use in a hurry or if i don't want to much garlic flavor.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
I use smoked paprika on many different foods. Eggs, baked potatoes, potato salad, hash browns, salad, baked mac and cheese, casseroles, sandwiches, dips, spreads, and the list goes on and on.

Smoked paprika has a very different taste than regular paprika.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,811,504 times
Be sure and check the expiration dates on your spices, and store them in a cool dark place. Expired spices can become almost tasteless and definitely not have the zip of fresh spices.

I always purchase good quality spices. I have bought generic and store brand spices and they often don't have the intense flavor of quality spices. Some of the cheap spices even have fillers.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 AM

5,111 posts, read 3,376,093 times
If we're talking about jarred dried spices, it would probably be cumin. Or tumeric.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Be sure and check the expiration dates on your spices, and store them in a cool dark place. Expired spices can become almost tasteless and definitely not have the zip of fresh spices.

I always purchase good quality spices. I have bought generic and store brand spices and they often don't have the intense flavor of quality spices. Some of the cheap spices even have fillers.
I do not buy quality as it does not keep any longer. I buy ours at the Amish spice store. They are so inexpensive I don't mind tossing them after 6 months or so. More important than a date is simply smelling them. It will tell you right away if the spice has lost its flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink