Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

I thought this was interesting, about fast food having higher status elsewhere.

Obesity Was Rising as Ghana Embraced Fast Food. Then Came KFC.
The growing popularity of fried chicken and pizza in parts of Africa underscores how fast food is changing habits and expanding waistlines.

Dionne Searcey and Matt Richtel

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/h...-obesity.htmll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Link didn't work for me...

Anyway, I think it's somewhat similar here. We pay outrageous amounts of money for authentic French cheeses. Same goes for sushi. There is really no good reason (in my opinion) for it to cost as much as it does in most establishments, but we still pay for it. I guess since it's becoming more mainstream, prices might go down, but I think it's just that new/foreign-inspired foods have a trendy appeal to them.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Try this link https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/h...c-obesity.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Link didn't work for me...

Anyway, I think it's somewhat similar here. We pay outrageous amounts of money for authentic French cheeses. Same goes for sushi. There is really no good reason (in my opinion) for it to cost as much as it does in most establishments, but we still pay for it. I guess since it's becoming more mainstream, prices might go down, but I think it's just that new/foreign-inspired foods have a trendy appeal to them.
I kinda disagree.

I've never thought of authentic French cheeses as trendy, and I think it's about as mainstream as it's ever going to be. Why? The cost is always much higher than what is made domestically. Why? Because of the shipping costs of getting that French cheese to America.

As far as sushi, I think it stopped being trendy and went mainstream a long time ago. Heck, they sell it in every large grocery store now. Why is it so expensive? Because of the need for super fresh fish, which is expensive, and the expense of loss when that fish becomes too old to use as sushi (which some, invariably, will do).

Old 10-06-2017, 04:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Try this link https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/h...c-obesity.html

I kinda disagree.

I've never thought of authentic French cheeses as trendy, and I think it's about as mainstream as it's ever going to be. Why? The cost is always much higher than what is made domestically. Why? Because of the shipping costs of getting that French cheese to America.

As far as sushi, I think it stopped being trendy and went mainstream a long time ago. Heck, they sell it in every large grocery store now. Why is it so expensive? Because of the need for super fresh fish, which is expensive, and the expense of loss when that fish becomes too old to use as sushi (which some, invariably, will do).
This is definitely true, and then some. Président brie costs almost $10 a wedge here in SoCal. When I'm visiting in the Netherlands, I buy them for just over 1€ (And of course I load up my suitcase on my way home). French cheese is practically free over there - the Petit Basque that costs over $12 at Costco here, is under 3€ there. Dutch cheese in the Netherlands costs more than the French.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When it comes to cheese, we tend to favor UK varieties but only splurge once a month or so. Normally we stick to domestic, of which there is plenty of good varieties. Sushi is expensive due to the labor and high priced chefs, not worth it to me, but it’s become not only fashionable and trendy, but a status symbol.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I thought this was interesting, about fast food having higher status elsewhere.

Obesity Was Rising as Ghana Embraced Fast Food. Then Came KFC.
The growing popularity of fried chicken and pizza in parts of Africa underscores how fast food is changing habits and expanding waistlines.

Dionne Searcey and Matt Richtel

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/h...-obesity.htmll
Same thing has happened in Mexico, India, UK, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink