Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Perked 16 13.79%
Drip 37 31.90%
French Press 33 28.45%
Other (Keurig, etc) 30 25.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Exactly, me too.
Only diff is I let the boiling water sit for a minute bec
I 'heard' the boiling temp is not so great for the best flavor.....BUT, hey whatever works!!
I think I read 4 minutes to sit, btw...before pouring your cup. Never bitter at all....smooth, yum.
I only use Dark roast organic beans...just sayin' ( I don't want
Third World countries' pesticides in my kidneys)...Trader Joe's seems the best place for that, for me.
Love the extra space, no plugging in, no buying messing filters anymore.

I have had some great perked coffee, just saying...but can't wait, either...seems to give a good smell output, tho!

WELL because of this great thread I've ordered a stainless press! Thanks $15 no s/h
You are correct about the proper temp - should not be boiling - a good electric kettle will have multiple temp settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Perked......because it is simple and it is durable.

On the stove top, I use one of the three camping pots. Probably have had them around for 4-5, if more, years.

With drip units, I find that they had to be replaced every year for one reason or another, they were just a land fill item, they needed to be kept fed with filters, and they tend to make weak coffee.

With a stove top perk, I put the coffee directly in the basket and that's it. No need for filters and even if the power does go out, that "technology" still gives coffee.

If a time comes when I need to get rid of the pot, it is metal, it is recyclable.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:06 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I think OP is looking for a coffee maker
The initial post is a poll, asking which we prefer, followed by a post with the same, not about purchasing small appliances.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
It was a toss up between the gravity drip or French Press. French Press won - it's make a decadent cup of coffee.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:30 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Perked......because it is simple and it is durable.

On the stove top, I use one of the three camping pots. Probably have had them around for 4-5, if more, years.

With drip units, I find that they had to be replaced every year for one reason or another, they were just a land fill item, they needed to be kept fed with filters, and they tend to make weak coffee.

With a stove top perk, I put the coffee directly in the basket and that's it. No need for filters and even if the power does go out, that "technology" still gives coffee.

If a time comes when I need to get rid of the pot, it is metal, it is recyclable.
I used to perk my coffee in our travel trailer in a "camping perk pot". I learned a very good lesson one day long ago:

I filled the perk with water, put the coffee into the basket and set it to heat on the gas stove. Someone came by and needed my help outside. The coffee was forgotten. About an hour later, a friend came by and said she'd gone in to change her wet clothes in our trailer and turned off my coffee pot. I'm sure this is the look on my face when she said it.

I can just imagine the mess of coffee everywhere on the stove number one, but most important, number two: I wondered if the gas flame would have sputtered out, letting the propane gas just keep flowing into the trailer. Scared the crapolla out of me.

Anyways, from that day on, I set the water on to boil WITHOUT the basket inside the pot. Only when it started to boil, did I take the pot off the heat, put the basket in and put it back on the stove on low heat to perk.

Nowadays, when we're boondocking, I just boil water and pour it through my grounds/filter in a funnel thingy. The coffee drips through the funnel into a carafe. Much safer, quicker and easier IMO.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:47 PM

936 posts, read 823,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
For travel get the AeroPress - it makes superior coffee...
The reviews don't lie:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK...a-315571604316

Aeropress coffee maker: The answer to all of your problems?

You might never use drip coffee again...
I have two AreoPresses. They make fantastic coffee. I steep the coffee for three minutes, plunge it into a cup and top it off with a little more hot water to make an "Americano." After you try an Areopress you'll want to throw away your French press and never touch it again. French press coffee will taste bitter and nasty.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I used to perk my coffee in our travel trailer in a "camping perk pot". I learned a very good lesson one day long ago:

I filled the perk with water, put the coffee into the basket and set it to heat on the gas stove. Someone came by and needed my help outside. The coffee was forgotten. About an hour later, a friend came by and said she'd gone in to change her wet clothes in our trailer and turned off my coffee pot. I'm sure this is the look on my face when she said it.

I can just imagine the mess of coffee everywhere on the stove number one, but most important, number two: I wondered if the gas flame would have sputtered out, letting the propane gas just keep flowing into the trailer. Scared the crapolla out of me.

Anyways, from that day on, I set the water on to boil WITHOUT the basket inside the pot. Only when it started to boil, did I take the pot off the heat, put the basket in and put it back on the stove on low heat to perk.

Nowadays, when we're boondocking, I just boil water and pour it through my grounds/filter in a funnel thingy. The coffee drips through the funnel into a carafe. Much safer, quicker and easier IMO.
That has happened a time or two to me, overflows putting the flame out, one learns to watch out for it.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
As for the poll, I'd like a button that says 'anything but Kuerig'.

For a couple of decades I used a stainless steel French press. Coffee gets a bit chewy if you drink the last drops, but I don't mind chewy. Actually, dry roasted chocolate covered coffee beans are pretty tasty. Anyway, a French press makes tasty coffee. Haven't tried an Aeropress, though, so can't compare them. Seems like a lot of parts, though. In the morning simplicity is good.

Currently we have an automatic drip coffee maker which is okay, especially since it can be set to have coffee ready when we wake up.

We've visited folks with Keurigs and those are just useless. Plus makes a huge amount of plastic waste, especially for just one measly cup of coffee.

Great coffee starts with great beans, though. We like Su's coffee: KarmaSu Kona Coffee - Farm direct - 100% Kona Coffee. He's over on the Kona side of the island and has one of the nicest coffee farms I've seen. Not very big, though, but really nice coffee. He still has the original type of coffee bushes which produce the best tasting coffee, a lot of the Kona farmers have gone to a lesser variety that produces more but doesn't taste as good.

Otherwise we get Hamakua coffee, which I think is better than Kona, but it's probably something that would be hard to source unless you're on island.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
At home I use drip, but after visiting my mom this summer and using her old fashion GE pot bellied percolater I've been thinking about investing in one of those. It was so easy to use just fill with water/ coffee grounds, plug in and delicious hot coffee. Drip coffee is now rather weak flavored and needs re-heating in microwave.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
I have two AreoPresses. They make fantastic coffee. I steep the coffee for three minutes, plunge it into a cup and top it off with a little more hot water to make an "Americano." After you try an Areopress you'll want to throw away your French press and never touch it again. French press coffee will taste bitter and nasty.
I'd never heard of this until today. Hmm? will have to look into one and think about my options. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink