Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

A week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
If I cook meat and salted it (for example, I sprinkle some shakes of Everything spice from Trader Joes which includes salt), that helps preserve it better, and I can go 8 days with that. Otherwise, in general, 5 or 6

Old 10-12-2017, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Rule of thumb: for us, 1 week. I am a little more particular about chicken and a little less about beef. Would I eat a meat loaf that is over a week old? Probably not, but I think some people worry way too much about how fast meat spoils. I guess, at my age, I remember when we didn't even have a freezer compartment in our fridge except for a place to keep some ice. We would munch on things like the turkey for at least a week. Mom would buy meat and keep it in the fridge, raw for several days or stick it in with the ice. It is hard for younger people to imagine how we kept our food, as it is hard for me to imagine how my grandparents kept theirs.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Three days.

I keep my fridge VERY cold well below the danger zone.

I'm shocked I don't see a ton of posts reminding you that it's an important factor.

Yet I have clients who get lucky ALL the time.

One told me "I like my refrigerator to be barely cool not cold". (no thermometer)

She also thaws ground meat in the sink all day - or actually more like 10 hours.

I never eat her food.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Depends on the meat and temp of the fridge as well as a few other things

Myself I will have leftover cooked meat ( pork steak chicken fish ) eaten within 2-3 days )

Most likely it is good another day or 2 beyond that for sure I would think

Pushing into day 6 is alittle risky in my opinion
My son is a meat manager in a major grocery store. He says 2-3 days max on left over meat. Freeze it right away if you want to eat later than that just to be safe.

I usually only make 1 piece of meat per person most of the time so usually no leftovers except for when I do a turkey, whole chicken, ham etc. for the holidays . We will usually eat leftovers for 2 days on those and freeze the rest on the 2nd day. Better to be safe Better to be safe than end up in the hospital.

I also see a lot of people buying 2 or 3 different pounds of deli meat. My son says deli meat once it is sliced should never be kept for longer than 3 days. Buy smaller amounts and use while it is safe unless you have a family that can eat 6 pounds of ham, turkey, and salami in a few days or are having a party.

One of my sisters got food poisoning from ham when I was a kid. She was in the hospital for almost a week and I definitely would not to cause anyone to get that sick.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I do it and the stuff tastes fine by friday.

Maybe not the NEXT friday, but 4 or 5 days? No problem.
Exactly. I'm a bit disappointed that people don't know that food can be preserved for more than 3 days. Look at history. How do you think mankind was able to make long, nomadic journeys without first learning how to preserve meat? Modern refrigeration and food inspection/handling is so much better now.

No one grew up eating leftovers that were fine at the end of the week?

Old 10-12-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Rule of thumb: for us, 1 week. I am a little more particular about chicken and a little less about beef. Would I eat a meat loaf that is over a week old? Probably not, but I think some people worry way too much about how fast meat spoils. I guess, at my age, I remember when we didn't even have a freezer compartment in our fridge except for a place to keep some ice. We would munch on things like the turkey for at least a week. Mom would buy meat and keep it in the fridge, raw for several days or stick it in with the ice. It is hard for younger people to imagine how we kept our food, as it is hard for me to imagine how my grandparents kept theirs.
They didn't have food allergies either. My mother used to keep the Thanksgiving turkey out in the snow before the week came to cook it. My Greek MIL used to keep her COOKED animal products sitting on the stove top for HOURS - like the rest of the DAY...afterwards and nobody got sick. Go figure. (but her relatives didn't ha ha)

They all had breast milk, real food - fresh, seasonal, local, nutrient dense (organ mean) scratch cooking. People fished, hunted and slaughtered their own animal proteins. My grandmother included. When you used a farm, they weren't raising downer cows for you to eat or animals fed CRAP just because it was cheaper. It never even OCCURRED to a farmer to feed a cow dead cow parts or grain. Proud farm owners weren't urinating and defecating on their own crops right out in the open LOL. (ok well maybe nearby hahaha)

Generally, they knew not to mix the run-off of animal waste onto their produce products.

They didn't have food addictions pigging out for hours if the food was not as available. No gmos, food additives, stabilizers and thickeners, antibiotics, hormones, processed crap. They never heard of a fad diet so metabolisms were more normal. Soda was invented in the late 1800s but it was a luxury or special occasion for most people, not something you sloshed down 32 oz of every couple hours.

The circus fatman in the freak show in 1900 looks just like our every day people TODAY. Google it. OK they SAY he was 600 lbs (doesnt' look it) but we have enough people to make a television show about and support hundreds of weight loss clinics alone.

They MOVED more because they actually had to do stuff like the simple act of defrost the fridge when it was time. They were outside more. My grandmother did NOT stop moving between the hours of 5 AM and 12 noon when she took a break for lunch. Every day was a different task. And her fridge was so small she there was no chance she'd lose the chicken in the back.

And they couldn't run to doctors for a pill for everything.

The most hilarious "disease" is "acid reflux". (not including those with an actual anatomical abnormality)

tl;dr They had better food.

I have to stop now...it's depressing.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-12-2017 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 03:08 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Exactly. I'm a bit disappointed that people don't know that food can be preserved for more than 3 days. Look at history. How do you think mankind was able to make long, nomadic journeys without first learning how to preserve meat? Modern refrigeration and food inspection/handling is so much better now.

Eating leftovers is different and preserved meat is totally different than grilling 5 chicken breasts and eating them all week. Food prep is totally different. I like to cook and I need variety. Food prep isn't for everyone. Stop shaming people who don't.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Refrigeration isn't anything like preserving. No, actually their true preserving will last much longer. Like, all winter.

Modern refrigeration may be easier and more satisfying to modern man but ancient preservation was much more effective, IF, much more difficult. Even though they all had parasites in their gut as they got more "sophisticated" LOL.

Long-Term Food Preservation Secrets Of The Native Americans | Off The Grid News

Have you ever lived in Florida? My food here NEVER lasts as long as up North. I assume because it's in transit for so long and held up by the market chain before it ever even gets shipped to stores.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-12-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
On the rare occasions I EAT leftovers, they're gone within 2-3 days. Husband, who does leftovers all the time, 2-3 days. Not because we're worried about how long it will be "ok", but because he's sick of them by that point so out they go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink