Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:01 PM

983 posts, read 1,174,223 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds alittle racist ( clearly I am not ) But Chinese ( and Asians in general ) have a reputation for being very cheap - frugal. As in NOT wanting to discard leftover old food etc etc ...

That fact keeps me away from unknown restaurants as I would rather not contract food poisoning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,079,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I know it sounds alittle racist ( clearly I am not ) But Chinese ( and Asians in general ) have a reputation for being very cheap - frugal. As in NOT wanting to discard leftover old food etc etc ...

That fact keeps me away from unknown restaurants as I would rather not contract food poisoning
I’ve been going to Chinese restaurants
For over 40 yrs and never had one issue
With food handling safety/sickness issues

Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM

983 posts, read 1,174,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’ve been going to Chinese restaurants
For over 40 yrs and never had one issue
With food handling safety/sickness issues
Nor have I ever gotten sick eating at a Chinese restaurant

But I have been to a few places in my life in Chinatowns in various major US cities and seem some very very questionable cleanliness issues as well as questionable food handling issues.

No doubt it is fairly rare to actually contract food poisoning while eating out at a Chinese restaurant ( wild guess .05 % ) But I do not venture out as adventurously these days as I did in my younger days.

I go out to eat only a few times a month and almost ALWAYS it is some place I am a regular at. I am a regular at these places because I like the food and the prices and am positive I am being served fresh wholesome food from a clean kitchen.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,517,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Having worked twice in Shandong Province in China, I got used to the Shandong cuisine which seems to be hard to find in the USA. So I pretty much stopped going to American style Chinese restaurants.
That is weird, like you used to like American Chinese food but having tried another style in China you no longer find what you used to like appealing?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,708,244 times
Quote:

If you go to a restaurant where everything on menu is under $15, they HAVE TO cut corner.

The problem is, Chinese food has been labeled as "cheap" in America. Even in China it is very common to have a dinner with $30 per person in a decent restaurant. But Americans are reluctant to pay much for Chinese food.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,845,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The way you have described Chinese food suggests to me that you have never eaten the real article. Even "Americanized" Chinese food should not be heavy or drowning in goopy sauce.
What a bunch of noodles in some watery sauce? I don't care for that either. None of it is very good really.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,708,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
What a bunch of noodles in some watery sauce? I don't care for that either. None of it is very good really.
That's called noodle soup. If you don't want watery food don't order soup.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,064,485 times
Quote:
No doubt it is fairly rare to actually contract food poisoning while eating out at a Chinese restaurant ( wild guess .05 % )
You are suggesting that one of every 2,000 persons eating at a Chinese restaurant gets food poisoning. A different wild guess might have been a better one.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,517,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't eat that heavy crap. Just not a fan of thickened brown sauces draped on everything. Pretty gross. Not a fan of Chinese food in general though.
Thickened brown sauces draped on everything?

You need to try something different, all Chinese food isn't thickened brown sauces.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,570,621 times
Chinese cuisine isn't fried rice and egg rolls. It is very diverse because China actually is very diversity than most people thought. There are over a dozen different languages and many many different cuisines and styles. Even Japanese food have different style but Chinese cuiisines can be very different.

Dishes like Peking Duck which most Americans have never ever tried or seen and is expensive if it's done right.

Lately a lot of Americans are into Shanghai Soup dumplings and it's very popular across Asia except the US which still thinks Chinese food is egg rolls and beef and brocolli.

There are some crazy expensive chinese dishes that I know most Americans don't have the guts or stomach for until it gets popularize one day by millennials.

Japanese Ramen is cheap fast food and now it is expensive but Ramen was created by Chinese and Japanese ramen is a variant of ramen soup. There are tons of variation of Korean and Chinese ramen besides Japanese versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink