Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

I picked up an anodized aluminum Sur La Table pan at a local thrift shop and so war it's performing like a champ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
FWIW department: the falsely induced fear of fat (thanks to collusion of certain food giants) and the resulting panic at the thought of cooking foods in lard, tallow, schmaltz and/or oil drove the (m)asses to embrace "non-stick" cookware. That's how I wound up with a cupboard of deteriorating pot sets... junque.

Search on ketogenic diets for more information on the opposite way of eating.

If you examine most commercial kitchens, you will not find anything resembling typical "non-stick" cookware (teflon, etc). Nor will you find much cast iron - which does not mean it is "bad" - just not practical for high volume work under abrasive conditions.

What you will find are :
__ carbon steel pans (that need seasoning like cast iron, but are lighter) used for high temperature frying, searing, sauteing, etc. - no plastic handles - can be put into an oven or under a broiler.
__ stainless steel pots and pans, for soups, stocks, pasta, steam tables, etc.

My suggested compromise for the residential / home kitchen :
[] A modest set of 18/10 stainless steel all-clad cookware (low, med heat)
[] One or more stainless steel pressure cookers - hopefully that can use the above mentioned inserts and lids
[] Cast iron skillets, properly seasoned (if you wish, have them ground smooth like vintage models)

Upgrade: Sanded / polished / ground cast iron skillet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmCglTZWT8

18/10 8-piece tri-ply CLAD cookware set
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...e-Set/19581112
Not just the base, but the whole pot is tri-ply.
Lids from the pots do not fit the skillets.
All metal - oven safe.
Dutch Oven (5 qt) is 9.44 inches (24 cm)
<< Good match for the Tramontina 18/10 8 qt multi-cooker >>
<< Will fit the PRESTO 8 qt pressure cooker >>
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...r-Set/19581116
Diameter: 9.344 inches (24cm); lid and steamer insert will fit Presto 8 qt pressure cooker
{{Great for separating meat and stock cooked in pressure cooker}}

>> CAVEAT re: Tramontina tri-ply<<
USE only LOW to MEDIUM heat. (Which deals with some complaints about hot handles and sticking food!)
Using a high heat setting causes the tri-ply base to become very hot, which may cause foods to stick, burn or scorch if added to very hot cookware. In fact, the use of high heat can permanently discolor and damage your cookware and void the warranty.
IF YoU MuSt RoCkEt SeAr, use CARBON STEEL or CAST IRON.

CARBON STEEL PANS (restaurant style)
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equ...steel-skillets

Cook Ease
__ 8 qt pressure cooker (you can always cook smaller portions, but you can’t make a 4 qt mini do the job)
. . . will double as a generic stock pot, steamer, etc.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-8-Q...ooker/10771203
In addition to standard pressure cooked fare, you can make cheesecakes, bake bread, steam hard boiled eggs that are perfect (no leakers, even if cracked), and so on.
<< The Presto 8qt model fits 24cm lids and inserts from other similar 9.5" pots >>

SOUS-VIDE
Sous Vide is a French cooking technique, which translates to “under vacuum." In this technique food is vacuum-sealed in a cooking pouch and heated up at a precise temperature in a water bath. Instead of relying on perfect timing, sous vide relies on precise temperature control. You simply set the machine and can expect the technique to deliver consistent, perfect results.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide
The net has plenty of $100+ sous-vide cooking inserts and machines.

El cheap sous-vide cookery : plastic ziploc bag dunked in large pot with water at desired temperature.

On eBay, found a thermostatic controller (800W) for my DIY sous-vide. What was interesting - a reviewer mentioned using it to control a hot plate (!). This allowed me to use any pan I already have - no need to buy a crock pot to hack.
$16 hot plate (W-M)
$25 Thermostatic controller (eBay)
+ existing stock pot
(Poached fish - magnificio!)
(Steaks and chops, cooked thoroughly, then quickly seared on rocket hot cast-iron ... perfection ... never stick!)

$$$ but you won't waste money on periodic replacements.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
No that's a knockoff...might be fine but haven't tried...some are much less expensive that copperchef, but it was first one with this type of pan.

Google copperchef.com probably a video for you.

They now have different pans.

Good luck

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Is this Copperchef?

Old 10-15-2017, 01:06 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
We have a couple of Emeril's fry pans that we like. Got them at Bed Bath & Beyond. They last for years but like someone else noted all non stick must be replaced after some time. Jay

Old 10-15-2017, 01:11 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Copperchef...seen on tv.

I bought it, works beautifully as non-stick. Every food item slides around in the pan, food slides out. Never had anything stick. Dishwasher safe.

Really works...
Does it? I usually distrust anything "as seen on TV," but this might be worth a look.

My suggestion was going to be a well-seasoned iron skillet. Not completely non-stick, but the results are worth the trouble.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I like our enamel non-stick surface. I think it's a new product - at least it's kind of new-ish... to us.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
We use OXO good grips. About $40 on Amazon. Works great for years.

The thing about enamel pans, though, is eventually you will have to replace them. The enamel does come off - it's not like corning wear where you never will have to replace it as long as you don't break it.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:25 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Teflon coated cookware has been questioned as far as being safe. And now with copper cookware becoming popular the same questions are being asked and the jury is still out by some.

Is it safe to cook with copper?

The metal is easily dissolved by some foods and large amounts can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. According to the Food and Drug Administration, acidic foods cause copper on unprotected cookware to dissolve into foods. If you use unprotected copper-lined pots and pans, research the acidity of certain foods.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...n-copper-pots/

Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Simply Ming on HSN, food dosen't stick and hubs really likes the omelette pan I bought him a few years ago. He uses it several times a week, it's still working well and he is incredibly hard to please. I also bought a wok from that line. Great non stick.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:21 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Copperchef has a new type of ceramic coating with a lifetime guarantee. It does not allow for leaching of copper.

LIFETIME GUARANTEE. Beat that.

(lifetime guarantee not for the entire pot but the coating; take care of pan then you have a lifetime pan. No replacement necessary.)

This is not Teflon.

If you haven't used copperchef, don't trash it.

QUOTE=katie45;49829027]Teflon coated cookware has been questioned as far as being safe. And now with copper cookware becoming popular the same questions are being asked and the jury is still out by some.

Is it safe to cook with copper?

The metal is easily dissolved by some foods and large amounts can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. According to the Food and Drug Administration, acidic foods cause copper on unprotected cookware to dissolve into foods. If you use unprotected copper-lined pots and pans, research the acidity of certain foods.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...n-copper-pots/[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House