Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,562,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Basically, after you get done with it, wash it, do not dry it. Put it on the stove and let the heat evaporate the water, remove, then coat it with oil using a paper towel. Let sit, then you have a true non-stick without the use of chemicals and crap.
This is why I don't like using cast iron skillets, I dread having to deal with the routine with washing, getting totally dry, then applying oil evenly to it.

Usually properly cooking with a good stainless steel set is fine, and the occasion I need something truly non-stick I would find myself passing up the cast iron and reaching for the cheapo teflon pan because it works fine and I know it can be cleaned in 20 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,225,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is why I don't like using cast iron skillets, I dread having to deal with the routine with washing, getting totally dry, then applying oil evenly to it.

Usually properly cooking with a good stainless steel set is fine, and the occasion I need something truly non-stick I would find myself passing up the cast iron and reaching for the cheapo teflon pan because it works fine and I know it can be cleaned in 20 seconds.
Agreed, not to mention the amount of time it takes to properly season one unless you buy a used one.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM

983 posts, read 1,179,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Agreed, not to mention the amount of time it takes to properly season one unless you buy a used one.
Some things you just HAVE to use cast iron for as it makes such a difference.

Examples: Fried chicken - baked cornbread and for myself my Cajun blackened salmon I fry up in a cast iron skillet

edited to add:

All of my cast iron skillets came from local thrift stores. I carefully selected various ones thru the years. Some of them are close to 75-80yrs old I am guessing ( that is some serious seasoning )

Old 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,225,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

Examples: Fried chicken - baked cornbread and for myself my Cajun blackened salmon I fry up in a cast iron skillet

edited to add:

All of my cast iron skillets came from local thrift stores. I carefully selected various ones thru the years. Some of them are close to 75-80yrs old I am guessing ( that is some serious seasoning )
Oh, I don't disagree. Fried chicken comes out best in a cast iron but a cast iron isn't for everything. I personally like a good non-stick skillet for eggs. I don't like to use a lot of butter or grease when making them. I can't make a crepe or flip a frittata in a cast iron skillet either lol

Old 10-17-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post

Yep, without a doubt fried chicken and blackening are two things done best in cast iron. Well some might make a case for deep frying chicken but I hate to waste all that oil fooling around with a fryer.

I'm not advocating tossing the cast iron skillet in the trash, just saying lots of stuff can be done with a good set of stainless steel pans or cheapo nonstick, and the care is much easier.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM

887 posts, read 1,213,808 times
So it goes on & on & on it never ends.

Yep. Sometimes I think life was easier before pages of reviews. It gets so you can talk yourself out of buying a new toothbrush! Be nice if they required people to own a product for a year before posting a review.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,204 times
Cast iron goes well with the feeling of wearing boots, chinos, and a plaid flannel shirt while cooking over an open campfire. In an actual kitchen, actual cooks may well see better choices and most often do. Even for for such tasks as frying chicken.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
well seasoned cast iron doesn't normally stick unless someone is cooking improperly.

Typically, heating up the pan until it's hot and not putting anything in it until the oil has heat up until smoking/nearly smoking and there should be minimal sticking.

non stick is usually a crutch for the inexperienced cooks.
Julia Child used it.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Calling it a "crutch" is misplaced, nonstick is a tool that has it's place just like any other. I'm not going to cook something that needs a fond or really high heat with it, but like I said if I'm cooking fried eggs in the morning I'll always reach past the cast iron and grab the cheapo nonstick fry pan. Nonstick isn't my primary tool but then again neither is cast iron, stainless steel is good for probably 80% of what I do in a kitchen. A lot of sauteing where I'm constantly flipping contents I couldn't imagine doing with a heavy cast iron skillet, I'd end up with one huge muscular arm like a human lobster.

For anyone who doubts that experienced chefs use nonstick, see here:
The Sticking Point / Nonstick pans are a boon to cooks, but are there dangers lurking beneath the surface? - SFGate

3/5 restaurant chefs they asked used Teflon pans at their restaurants. Some examples they gave are crepes, omelets, crispy garnishes, scallops, and fish. It seems 10% is a common number for pans that are nonstick in their restaurants. My favorite quote in the article is from a chef that applies to the original question in this thread:

Quote:
"The downside to Teflon is the pans wear out. If you were to buy a very expensive pan with a nonstick coating, it would be a waste of money, because the surface would wear out and you'd be stuck with an expensive pan you can't use.
"So, buy an inexpensive one at K-Mart and throw it away after a year."

Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
I've been seeing some ads on tv for a non stick product called "Gotham Steel" i'm ver tempted to buy it as my current nonstick cookware is in need of replacement.
Any one bought the product? what do you think ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House