Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:04 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,449,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Place them in the oven however they will fit, rotating occasionally. But be aware that it may take longer for them to cook. DO NOT rely on calculating the cooking time. Get TWO leave-in meat thermometers and cook them until they reach an internal temp of 165 (probe in the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone).

You could also consider cooking one of them a different way ... perhaps frying, smoking on the grill, or using a counter top roaster.
I strongly agree with using another method of cooking for one of them - first, I don't think both will fit, and second, don't you need oven space for other things??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM

24,463 posts, read 10,793,748 times
I do not think you will get the results you are trying to accomplish. How many eaters, what side dishes, are you cooking everything?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
I don't think they will fit together. I would brine the turkeys two days before and cook them the day before and do all the slicing, etc. Brining will keep the meat moist. Then you will have the oven free for cooking sides on Thanksgiving. This will also cut down on your prep/cleanup time because all the messy stuff will be done the day before.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think they will fit together. I would brine the turkeys two days before and cook them the day before and do all the slicing, etc. Brining will keep the meat moist. Then you will have the oven free for cooking sides on Thanksgiving. This will also cut down on your prep/cleanup time because all the messy stuff will be done the day before.
Or roast and slice one turkey the day before, so you still get that nice turkey roasting smell the day of. You could also do your turkey neck stock (if you do that) for homemade gravy the day before.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I'm not a skilled turkey cooker so I don't want to be butchering up turkeys prior to cooking. I was just thinking about putting one on one rack one on the second rack maybe 9 lbs or so each. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, lots of stuff I never would have thought of
You may want to put like sized items and the pans you plan to use into the oven now to test if they'll fit.

Where are you cooking your other dishes?

I personally don't think it is a bad idea to cook one the day before and refrigerate it overnight. I'd cut that one up and layer it in a pan to warm it the day of.

Then serve a whole turkey, with a sliced turkey cut up onto a plate to pass around the table. Cut the whole bird at the table as needed.

Last edited by JanND; 10-17-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You may want to put like sized items and the pans you plan to use into the oven now to test if they'll fit.

Where are you cooking your other dishes?

I personally don't think it is a bad idea to cook one the day before and refrigerate it overnight. I'd cut that one up and layer it in a pan to warm it the day of.

Then serve a whole turkey, with a sliced turkey cut up onto a plate to pass around the table. Cut the whole bird at the table as needed.
I agree and if they do fit, one pan will have to go on the lowest rack and then the OP has to hope the 2nd rack will be low enough so the 2nd turkey can fit on top without hitting the top of the oven and hopefully the bottom turkey isn't touching the rack above it.

Or I would go with just 1 bigger turkey if possible.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:46 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
Without knowing why you need to do two turkeys on the same day, it's hard to answer. My family likes leftovers, so I cook a turkey the day before, let it cool, take off all the meat and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge. Then on Thanksgiving I cook the second bird, combine the drippings for gravy and then make all the rest of the fixings. When it's time for everyone to go home, we divide up the already cooked turkey and all the side dishes. Very easy and really reduces the longer cooking time for the second turkey.

It would help us all to know why you need to cook them both at the same time.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
Is there a reason you prefer two small turkeys instead of one larger turkey of a similar total weight? Certainly one large turkey would fit in the oven.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Why not just roast one larger turkey?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Another possibility would be to debone the turkey before cooking. I did this one year after reading about it in Sunset Magazine. You remove the bones from the carcass, leave the wing and leg bones, then stuff the body cavity with dressing, wrap the flesh/skin around it, shape it like a turkey, then roast.

The advantage to this would be that you could shape it to a flattish turkey, and fit 2 in the oven at once.

The disadvantage is that you've said you don't feel comfortable butchering the turkeys raw, and this is at least a sophomore project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink