Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:50 PM

1,257 posts, read 888,886 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here remember Picadilly cookies? They were sandwich cookies made with marshmallow, coconut and jelly ... now discontinued (Rippin Good Cookie Co.).

My grandmother always had these when I was little. I'd love a recipe so I can make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Um. Hi. My name is Dawn. [Hi, Dawn!] And I'm addicted to cookies.

I already said my piece up-thread. The t-shirt. The CRISP chocolate chip cookies. The Melting Moments (shortbread) that I make. But. Um. I forgot something. My holiday indulgence. They call it a cookie but, really, it's not a cookie. Not because there's no (discernible) flour in it but because "cookie" is a misnomer. "OMG-THIS-IS-THE-BEST-THING-EVER!!!" is a much better name for it.

I'll just leave this here: https://www.amazon.com/Laceys-Almond.../dp/B001IMSLXM

And this:

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-19-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
YESSSS!!!!! I love those! My mom never made them (we're from Naples) but my husband's aunt used to make them (he's Sicilian on his dad's side). I couldn't get enough of them! Agreed, they are very labor intensive. I'm trying up my game--I may have to give these a try!
There's a Sicilian bakery about 20 miles north of here -- they have great holiday cookies so I think I'll make a pilgrimage up there in early December. Because I'm too lazy to make them myself.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Does anyone here remember Picadilly cookies? They were sandwich cookies made with marshmallow, coconut and jelly ... now discontinued (Rippin Good Cookie Co.).

My grandmother always had these when I was little. I'd love a recipe so I can make them.
Yes, absolutely! They were great cookies - we used to get them in the 1950s-1960s - sorry to hear they were discontinued.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Since I started making my own, the ones from the store are just meh. Even Pepperidge Farm cookies are nothing special to me anymore.

I volunteer at a food shelf where there is a constant supply of cookies. I find it very easy to resist.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Whole Foods chocolate chip cookies... they're in a league of their own!

Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I already said my piece up-thread. The t-shirt. The CRISP chocolate chip cookies. The Melting Moments (shortbread) that I make. But. Um. I forgot something. My holiday indulgence. They call it a cookie but, really, it's not a cookie. Not because there's no (discernible) flour in it but because "cookie" is a misnomer. "OMG-THIS-IS-THE-BEST-THING-EVER!!!" is a much better name for it.

I'll just leave this here: https://www.amazon.com/Laceys-Almond.../dp/B001IMSLXM

And this:
Hi Dawn! Welcome to the cookie (cough) club! If someone bakes a cookie, I'll eat it.

Last year, my son fixed the neighbors car. She said she'd bake some cookies for him. She didn't.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Mmm, oatmeal walnut -- or better yet, oatmeal-walnut-dried-berry.
I had oatmeal walnut cranberry from the Amish market and that's when I added the walnuts to the oatmeal apple cookies in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I love cookies. Never enough discussion about them for me. Some favorites are chocolate chip w/ nuts, snickerdoodles, spicy hermits, sugar cookies and oatmeal raisin. I like homemade best, but some store bought will do. Archway--shortbread and oatmeal raisin cookies. Nature's Way? I think it is--I like their peanut butter and choc. chip. Pepp. Farm--molasses ones. Keebler--choc chip coconut. I try to avoid any w/ hydrogenated oils (trans fats) so I look careful at labels.
Pepperidge Farm is Macadamia Milk Chocolate Chip, those big crisp ones. BUT if you're near a Target or an H-Mart, get some banana Milanos. Yes, banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Nope, there's a recipe and when you see it, you'll know it really is just cookies - well, there's a billion recipes, but they cook like cookies so they're cookies to me. How did I leave these off my list? Thanks for the reminder. I think.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hi Dawn! Welcome to the cookie (cough) club! If someone bakes a cookie, I'll eat it.

Last year, my son fixed the neighbors car. She said she'd bake some cookies for him. She didn't.
Ha! It's a good club if you're in it.

She didn't bake them? Or, um, he didn't see them because you got to them first? The latter is how I'm interpreting the

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

Nope, there's a recipe and when you see it, you'll know it really is just cookies - well, there's a billion recipes, but they cook like cookies so they're cookies to me. How did I leave these off my list? Thanks for the reminder. I think.
Absolutely. Call them whatever you want. Call a pizza cookies and I'm good with that too!

You're welcome-ish.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 AM

1,846 posts, read 833,102 times
Got to say Chick-Fil-a's chocolate chip cookie are so good, but if I had to choose a favorite it would have to be a soft sugar cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink