Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

I prefer thighs over breasts. Breasts are a bit dry for my tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I prefer dark meat chicken but the thing is certain recipes don't taste as good make it with dark meat chicken instead of breasts. I think I am going to mostly use breasts when recipes call for it even though I like dark meat more..breasts are more healthy obviously and I would like some variety, but I just need to figure out how to prepare them to where they are not dry.
when you use boneless thighs instead of breasts. Like chicken alfredo tastes really different to me when you

I absolutely never use boneless thighs or wings. If recipe calls for chicken beast I do use boneless, but that is the only time and I am more inclined to only cook thighs. Yes, you are right about things like alfredo. It can not be one of the recipes you can substitute one type of chicken for another.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I never use breast for any receipe because it's not flavorful at all. Chipotle's only use chicken thigh and all ethnic cuisines focuses on chicken thigh and leg as the main portion.

Even when you look at BBQ nation, who the hell uses chicken breast for BBQ?
Hopefully no one is doing that. Barbecuing is cooking slowly on low, indirect heat. That would ruin a chicken breast same as it would ruin a steak. Grilling is cooking on high, direct heat.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
I never use breast for any receipe because it's not flavorful at all. Chipotle's only use chicken thigh and all ethnic cuisines focuses on chicken thigh and leg as the main portion.

I grew up on a farm and we always had fresh chicken and eggs. Mom would buy about 1000 chicks every April or May and we would keep them in the basement until they were two or three weeks old. We took them from the basement when the weather permitted and moved them to a patch of pasture (maybe 5 acres) near the house. They ate a small amount of grain and tons of insects etc. Out of 1000 chicks maybe 300 to 350 a year made it to the table or freezer. Chicken hawks, coyotes, Weasels, Rats and every Carnivore on the planet loves chicken.

My favorite chicken part was the wishbone followed closely by the drumsticks. Pan Fried in real LARD, with mashed potatoes and gravy made from the drippings. Unlike fine wines chickens do NOT age well. A young fryer can be a treat but a three year old laying hen is not going to win much praise on the table.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I grew up on a farm and we always had fresh chicken and eggs. Mom would buy about 1000 chicks every April or May and we would keep them in the basement until they were two or three weeks old. We took them from the basement when the weather permitted and moved them to a patch of pasture (maybe 5 acres) near the house. They ate a small amount of grain and tons of insects etc. Out of 1000 chicks maybe 300 to 350 a year made it to the table or freezer. Chicken hawks, coyotes, Weasels, Rats and every Carnivore on the planet loves chicken.

My favorite chicken part was the wishbone followed closely by the drumsticks. Pan Fried in real LARD, with mashed potatoes and gravy made from the drippings. Unlike fine wines chickens do NOT age well. A young fryer can be a treat but a three year old laying hen is not going to win much praise on the table.
Huh! I thought that the older birds were preferred for dishes that are stewed (mainly French - Coq au Vin and the like type of stuff).

Old 10-19-2017, 12:27 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I just don't like chicken thighs.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I just don't like chicken thighs.
This is a shame, really, because they adore you.

No, really, what is it that you don't like about them? I didn't used to like them either -- I thought they were a bit slimy -- but in recent years, they're my go-to chicken part. Marinated in Korean bulgogi sauce and then baked? Delish.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
You can make really really good boneless chicken breasts on the grill, y'all. My friend taught me a method years ago where you marinate the chicken in achiote sauce, tapatio, orange and/or lime juice, and some olive oil. You baste and flip, baste and flip for a while with the lid on between times and the coals not too high. That chicken comes out bright red between the grill marks, beautiful and juicy, ready to be slapped on a good quality bun or sliced for topping a salad.

My friend says it's important to drink cans of Tecate with lime and salt while you grill the chicken. I remember him doctoring up the beer between every sip, squeezing a lime on top of the can and sprinkling on some coarse salt.

I used to prefer chicken thighs, but find my taste switching to white meat for some reason.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:

We do, sometimes. Our success is a closely-guarded secret.

But often, for quick-grilled chicken, we marinate boneless, skinless thighs.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
We use both, whichever is in the fridge or freezer. I really like thighs, but they seem to have become "trendy" & are often more expensive than the breasts, so I buy whichever is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink