Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:54 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times

Advertisements

I used to LOVE donuts. Buttermilk bars and apple fritters were my favorite. But then my favorite bakery here went out of business and I can't find another apple fritter that even comes close. Then I got a buttermilk bar that was undercooked and gross. That turned me off donuts and I haven't had one in a decade or more.

I only eat sweets 2 or 3 times a month, so I have to choose carefully. Donuts just aren't treat-worthy anymore. Thank you Elaine Benes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I will eat a doughnut or a half a doughnut every once in a while. I don't like them enough to be worth the calories. If I didn't care about calories I'm sure I'd eat them more often.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Headed to Costco in a bit ... I may indulge in a package of their bakery muffins. This thread has given me the want something sweet treat cravings.

Not sure how a Costco muffin stacks up to a fat bomb donut ... but I am all in on some choc chip muffins or pumpkin spice and whatever other choices they have these days. Been a couple years since I bought their muffins. They used to make banana nut ones that were awesome. Then quit making that kind for some reason

Old 10-24-2017, 03:59 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm from a heavily Portuguese/Azores place. The local bakeries do an Azores eggy donut-like thing on weekends called malasadas (Portuguese for mal-shaped). You hand-pull it, toss it in the fryer, and toss it in granulated sugar. I'll eat one of those as a special treat 2 or 3 times per year.

Maybe once a year, I'll eat a Dunkin Donuts jelly stick but it has to be fried extra crispy cake donut with a bit of granulated sugar. I don't like the flacid yeast dough ones with confectioners sugar.

If I could get Portuguese custard cups like I used to get living in NJ, I could probably go a long time without a doughnut.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If I could get Portuguese custard cups like I used to get living in NJ, I could probably go a long time without a doughnut.
They're easy to make, and you can use frozen puff pastry for the crust.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm from a heavily Portuguese/Azores place. The local bakeries do an Azores eggy donut-like thing on weekends called malasadas (Portuguese for mal-shaped). You hand-pull it, toss it in the fryer, and toss it in granulated sugar. I'll eat one of those as a special treat 2 or 3 times per year.

Maybe once a year, I'll eat a Dunkin Donuts jelly stick but it has to be fried extra crispy cake donut with a bit of granulated sugar. I don't like the flacid yeast dough ones with confectioners sugar.
Malasadas are yummy. My friend got married in Hawaii, and they are available at some markets there. During the lead up to the wedding, we all wanted to try them and my friend loved them. We woke up and were on the road at like 7a to drive across Maui to go to the store with the best malasadas. We had 2 cars of donut seekers among her friends and family. We got to the bakery and picked up warm tropical fruit filled treats and ate them in the parking lot

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You list some of Chicago's great options I agree that the prices for most of those places are definitely steep, which always surprises me how so many people come out with multiple boxes (people spend a lot of money on doughnuts)! I need to checkout the doughnuts at Mariano's. Their bakery options look great, so not surprising they have good doughnuts.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed that post. There are a lot of other local bakeries where I've sometimes heard their donuts are good, but that I just haven't gotten there early enough to be able to try out their donuts(i.e. Kirschbaum's in Western Springs, IL). I also heard about a donut place in Gurnee, IL, that makes ube donuts too. The guy who owns it is Asian(I think maybe Filipino?), so not surprised he makes donuts like that. Someday, I hope to travel up there early enough in the day before they close in the early afternoon, so that I could try that place's donuts out.

Also, I love places that do a decent apple fritter. The best ones I've found are Old Fashioned Donuts(Chicago's south side near the Pullman neighborhood in neighboring Roseland, Roseland has seen better days but the donuts there are awesome), Home Cut Donuts in Joliet, and also Glazed and Infused. I've tried other places and while they weren't bad, there's something about the apple fritters at those 3 places that's especially good. I had hopes(based on online reviews) for the apple fritter at Country Donuts in Crystal Lake, but to me it fell a tad short vs. those 3 places.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
heck to the yes i still do.i love Krispy Kreme,Shipleys,grocery store ones and from our local shop and powder sugar donuts.I am eating at Krispy Kreme soon.I am excited.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 AM

152 posts, read 165,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I bought a half-dozen apple cider doughnuts at an orchard last weekend. Stuck them in the freezer, so when I want one 25 seconds in the microwave will do the trick.
this makes my sugar tooth grow bigger, thanks for the idea by the way

Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
WE don't have an actual bakery for miles. One of the chain stores here used to have an inhouse bakery. They used to sell out every weekend.(vacation area) even though we suspected they came in frozen They were fresh baked. They just could not keep up and moved the bakery out bring in prepacked. WE no longer eat donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink