Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not a fan of the soup-and-salad, or even soup-and-sandwich combo (unless it's a drinkable soup, such as tomato with grilled cheese). Soup is a meal, salad is a meal - again, with hard-boiled eggs and/or cheese added - and a sandwich is a meal; no need to combine them, really?

Anyone a fan of drinking soups AS a hot beverage? Such as cream soups or broths?
Yup; I drink tomato soup in a huge mug. I use fat free half and half to make it, so it's richer. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Speaking of soup, has anyone tried the new "O, That's Good" soup marketed by Oprah? Normally I can't stand anything with a celebrity endorsement. but since these are supposed to have at least partially healthy ingredients like butternut squash and cauliflower, I thought they might be worth trying as a quicky snack or lunch. However, I also think they'll be pricey, so was hoping for a recommendation before trying one out.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I refuse, simply because of the O-ndorsement. Hasn't she made enough money yet? :P

I'm sure there are other healthy, organic soups out there for a lot less!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not a fan of the soup-and-salad, or even soup-and-sandwich combo (unless it's a drinkable soup, such as tomato with grilled cheese). Soup is a meal, salad is a meal - again, with hard-boiled eggs and/or cheese added - and a sandwich is a meal; no need to combine them, really?

Anyone a fan of drinking soups AS a hot beverage? Such as cream soups or broths?
Otter, I rarely see a post with which I wholeheartedly agree - today, it's yours.

Soup and a bread = a meal. Salad and crackers = a meal. (I put cheese, chicken chunks, celery, onion, tomato, and sprouts in mine.) A sandwich and a few chips = a meal.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, yes, multiple gr.ch. sandwiches, = a meal.

For drinkable, I sometimes have a cup of beef bullion. Not too often because of the sodium content but I see it as nourishing and comforting.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
"Soup and a bread = a meal. Salad and crackers = a meal. (I put cheese, chicken chunks, celery, onion, tomato, and sprouts in mine.) A sandwich and a few chips = a meal."

Exactly!

You can buy the actual broth in a can and heat it (if you're watching fat, refrigerate it and skim it off first); much less sodium than bullion.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Speaking of soup, has anyone tried the new "O, That's Good" soup marketed by Oprah? Normally I can't stand anything with a celebrity endorsement. but since these are supposed to have at least partially healthy ingredients like butternut squash and cauliflower, I thought they might be worth trying as a quicky snack or lunch. However, I also think they'll be pricey, so was hoping for a recommendation before trying one out.
If you haven't already, try Amy's. Excellent quality with healthy ingredients and decent enough prices in my opinion. https://www.amys.com/our-foods?onthemenu[0]=soups

Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I'm aware people eat soup and salad etc. I was thinking more, traditional Americans usually don't have a big soup as a dinner entree. Consider Vietnamese restaurants. Pho is what people think about a lot when they go to a Vietnamese place. Maybe bahn mi.
We have soup often as an entree.
How would you know what all Americans *usually* have as an entree?
Do you know the dining details of every American on the planet?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Otter, I rarely see a post with which I wholeheartedly agree - today, it's yours.
Soup and a bread = a meal. Salad and crackers = a meal. (I put cheese, chicken chunks, celery, onion, tomato, and sprouts in mine.) A sandwich and a few chips = a meal.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, yes, multiple gr.ch. sandwiches, = a meal.
For drinkable, I sometimes have a cup of beef bullion. Not too often because of the sodium content but I see it as nourishing and comforting.
For you perhaps the listed combinations are a meal but obviously not for others.
What does it matter what other's eat as their meal?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
I often enjoy a bowl of soup with a salad and whole grain bread. Come to think of it, that's what's on today's lunch menu.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:52 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I also love Mexican Chicken Tortilla soup, with 2 flour tortillas on the side. If it's prepared right, it's an enjoyable meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink