Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:41 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Crazy timing as I just looked it up on Amazon myself ! See my above post ... I got curious enough about it to research its cost / packaging - name brands etc ...

Its much more expensive than I thought it would be.

That pretty much guarantees I will not be trying it anytime soon
10 bucks is a bit much but I will say that a bottle can last quite awhile. You can pick up a bottle at most stores in Chicago for under 5 bucks. There’s lots of different brands to boot. Plus, you can also make it fairly easily too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:43 AM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I like it and use it in things like pasta salads. Never tried it on a sandwich, but that sounds good!

Old 10-27-2017, 11:46 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I grew up eating it in California. Had no idea it was a Chicago thing!

Old 10-27-2017, 01:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
Any other Chicagoans simply call it JAR-di-NAIR ??? And leave off the ah at the end? I spend most of my life in the south\southwest part of town, basicaly Bridgeport,Brighton Park to Archer Heights and everyone just called it giardinier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
It’s pronounced JAR-di-NAIR-ah. A bit of a mouth full but a very tasty mouth full. Giardiniera means mixed pickles and also a female gardener in Italian, which evokes the fresh veggies that is this dish.

It’s not that common outside of Chicago but it is becoming more common. Although, it’s pretty easy to make if you have the inclination. It is great on all sorts of sandwiches and dishes. It’s very easy to be creative with it. If you like pickles and spice, you’ll love giardiniera.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
It’s not that common outside of Chicago but it is becoming more common. Although, it’s pretty easy to make if you have the inclination. It is great on all sorts of sandwiches and dishes. It’s very easy to be creative with it. If you like pickles and spice, you’ll love giardiniera.
In Chicago, I've seen people put it on their pizza, much like Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, or oregano.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
It's awesome on pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
In Chicago, I've seen people put it on their pizza, much like Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, or oregano.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Being from Chicago, giardiniera is a pretty ubiquitous condiment. It’s a mix of brined and crisp veggies in oil. It’s usually a bit spicy too. It was popularized by Italian immigrants here and made more famous for its use on Italian beef sandwiches. Although, if you ever get a bottle of it you might just be putting it on all sorts of foods (ie pizza, sandwiches, meats, salads, etc.). Such a great condiment that really should be fairly popular everywhere.

Ever tried giardiniera? And what do you use it on?

How giardiniera crossed an ocean to become Chicago's favorite condiment - Chicago Tribune

Recipe:
https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/giardiniera/

Yes. I have tried it before, and I do like it.

I grew up in the suburbs of NYC, and it is available in most supermarkets, and as a topping for sandwiches at Italian sandwich shops. It is very common there. It is also a common topping for salads.

Currently, I live in North Eastern OH, and giardiniera is popular here, as well. NE Ohio, also is known for "peppers and oil" which is served with the bread course at Italian restaurants. It is also available in supermarkets.

I think you would find it in many Northern industrial cities and their outskirts. I never knew it was "Chicago Specific". Does Chicago make it differently than NY, Boston, Cleveland, Youngstown, Buffalo and the many other places that this tasty condiment is served? Pretty much every diner in NY, NJ and Connecticut serve it with salads. And they are usually Greek run.

I think I first had it at the home of an Italian American friend in the 70s. Her mother made it herself, but it is and was sold in regular supermarkets.

I like pickled and spicy things. Now I think I want to go out to buy a jar. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Giardiniera means mixed pickles and also a female gardener in Italian, which evokes the fresh veggies that is this dish.
Yup, I think the name simply refers to the fact that it is a mix of the produce of a typical garden.

A more pretentious periphrastic in English would be like calling it, 'gardener's mix' or 'gardener's selection'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Any other Chicagoans simply call it JAR-di-NAIR ??? And leave off the ah at the end? I spend most of my life in the south\southwest part of town, basicaly Bridgeport,Brighton Park to Archer Heights and everyone just called it giardinier.
Probably, if their ancestors came over from Campania, Naples, or Sicily, since in 19th and 20th centuries, those southern dialects tended to mute or drop the final vowels.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I make my own version.
We Armenians refer to it as 'toorshi'........pickled vegetables.

I use my mother's recipe, using cauliflower, cabbage, carrots and celery.
I put it in a big stoneware crock pot, let it sit for a few days...then jar it up for the holidays. Keep it in the fridge.

In fact my sister was just asking me if I would be making it this year.
There is a Persian vendor locally who makes his own, though he spells it torshi. It's SO GOOD, but his is EXTREMELY hot. Like, much, much hotter than any giardiniera I've ever had, even the spicy giardiniera. I don't know if that's typical,or just the way this guy does it. But it is amazing. His is also more oily than vinegar-y. Again, don't know if that's typical, regional, or what. But it definitely is more oil-based (I know because I've spilled it).

Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Probably, if their ancestors came over from Campania, Naples, or Sicily, since in 19th and 20th centuries, those southern dialects tended to mute or drop the final vowels.
Yep. The above describes my ex's family's regional origins, and they did all drop/swallow final vowels when using Italian origin words (kinda how "capicola" morphed into "gabbagool"). They were NYers, though.

In Chicago, I've actually never heard anybody say "jardin-air," but the SW Side was not my part of town, either, so there is that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink