Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Licorice anyone?
Licorice is disgusting 14 31.11%
I like licorice 12 26.67%
I've tried salted licorice 6 13.33%
I'd try salted licorice 9 20.00%
Salted licorice sounds horrible 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 PM

6,607 posts, read 4,727,627 times

Advertisements

I like licorice, but never heard of salted. Where can one find that to buy? I’d try it.

ETA I see it on Amazon, but which brand, Dirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,078,923 times
Licorice is my favorite candy. I've tried many different kinds including the salted kind. Some are more salty than others.
The ones called Salos are not as salty as most salted licorice.
The saltiest licorice I ever had were salted pontefract cakes from a small candy store. They weren't marked salmiak so I thought they were sweet licorice. They were so strong I could only eat a few and then put them away. That bag lasted a very long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Villosa-Sallo..._&dpSrc=detail

Old 11-02-2017, 08:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I like licorice, but never heard of salted. Where can one find that to buy? I’d try it.

ETA I see it on Amazon, but which brand, Dirt?
I like the Swedish Lakritsfabriken. A brand that's easier to find is Katjes Salzige Heringe. It's shaped like little salted herring. You can find that at German shops and World Market here.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,078,923 times
Katjes makes all kinds of tasty licorice. Their Lakritz Intense is really good licorice.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:59 PM

939 posts, read 782,399 times
Quite a bit of what's made and sold as licorice here in the states is not real, or there is very little of it (usually anise instead), so some of the stuff here is OK to eat in bulk, sans the other side effects that sugar or the other ingredients in it can cause when eaten in mass quantities, just like other candies.

Overeating real licorice of course is another issue.

I searched out real licorice a couple of years as I heard it can relieve nausea (it didn't).

The salted sounds good.
I'd settle for some regular licorice, if it were good, even if I had to buy from the net.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,654,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
Quite a bit of what's made and sold as licorice here in the states is not real, or there is very little of it (usually anise instead), so some of the stuff here is OK to eat in bulk, sans the other side effects that sugar or the other ingredients in it can cause when eaten in mass quantities, just like other candies.

Overeating real licorice of course is another issue.

I searched out real licorice a couple of years as I heard it can relieve nausea (it didn't).

The salted sounds good.
I'd settle for some regular licorice, if it were good, even if I had to buy from the net.
Now this is weird. I don't mind anise, but when I last ate licorice when I was a kid, I spit it out because I thought the flavor was so intense. Now, I'm eating leftover Hallowe'en candy

Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
...I'd settle for some regular licorice, if it were good, even if I had to buy from the net.
Have you tried Panda licorice. It's made in Finland, it's soft, it's all natural, and it's readily available over here.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:09 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,654,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Have you tried Panda licorice. It's made in Finland, it's soft, it's all natural, and it's readily available over here.
Next time I'm in a specialty food store, I'm going to have to try this now.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,393,461 times
I love it.

But it makes me poop..

Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,196,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I like the Swedish Lakritsfabriken. A brand that's easier to find is Katjes Salzige Heringe. It's shaped like little salted herring. You can find that at German shops and World Market here.
I like licorice. As you and I were in agreement about the most desirable potato chips, I will take your recommendation and check World Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink