Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 03:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of foods to choose from. WHen I was making some juice drinks I would add a couple leaves of romaine lettuce for more greens. Add an apple, some celery, some good splashes of coconut milk, a few grapes if I had them. Blend, and a nice green drink with some fruits.

I'm not without organic romaine lettuce as this is my bread for sandwiches. A neighbor just brought me a costco chicken and I'll make a chicken sandwich soon, with the lettuce.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 2,049,733 times
What's that saying...dammed if u do and dammed if u don't.

I've also been instructed to drink up to 5 cups of coffee a day....I don't drink coffee!!!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post

I've also been instructed to drink up to 5 cups of coffee a day....I don't drink coffee!!!
Who instructs someone to drink up to 5 cups of coffee a day? I drink 1 cup and thoroughly enjoy it and that's it for the day.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:35 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,496,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
If I avoided every single food because of some negative about it, I would literally starve to death lol. I think it is ridiculous to worry about a food that is highly nutritious because of some negative.

I've eaten many leafy greens over the years (especially as a vegetarian or vegan), in fact almost daily, some cooked some raw, and have never had an issue. I have been well aware of high oxalate foods for years, but that doesn't mean those foods don't still provide some benefit. Also, if you drink coffee or tea and want to avoid high oxalate food, better kiss those goodbye too.
I find the same thing. If we all avoided everything they told us to eat after telling us to eat it because it was good for us, we wouldn't know what to eat. There seems to be something bad in everything good and vice versa.

Eat everything (including a balanced diet) in moderation unless it upsets your body in some way.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 PM

983 posts, read 1,172,345 times
Quote:

That is a lot of coffee ... ??

I am guessing its a doctors recommendation -

May I ask why they want you consuming so much coffee / caffeine daily ? Seems like a lot. I drink a couple cups of coffee daily.

But it seems the general consensus is that caffeine / coffee is bad for you ?

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 11-04-2017 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 PM

48,356 posts, read 34,485,139 times
I always have a bag of one (or a mix) of spinach, arugula, baby chard and baby kale. It goes into everything, soup, stews, salads, marinara sauce...

It's just one part of the 15 or so veggies we eat a day, plus a good way to sneak past kidlet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-05-2017, 05:29 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,234,910 times
Quote:
I have kidney disease. And currently my uric acid levels are high, so my doctor told me to stop eating spinach.
Now i know why.
I, too, would eat those salads w/spinach and other greens in the plastic container thinking how healthy I was being.

No peas, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms and more are off limits now.
And these are normally foods you would associate w/being healthy.

I guess they still are...just not now for me.
your situation is totally different than what the OP is trying to say. Of course times when people need to adjust their eating habits due to health concerns.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,062,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
But it seems the general consensus is that caffeine / coffee is bad for you ?
I'm not aware of such a consensus anywhere. Silly food-religion people jump up and down with each newly released study. It's all the same good-for-you-bad-for-you spin-cycle nonsense as with eggs. Many people eat lots and lots of spinach without any issue at all. Many people drink coffee from dawn to dark and never have a problem. Obviously, if either spinach or coffee causes you problems personally, you might want to cut back on or eliminate it from your diet. But this would be a problem of yours., not of the vegetable or the beverage.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 AM

25,668 posts, read 21,832,413 times
I have come to believe that "the bottom line" with eating is "balance". All these food fads are ridiculous!

Good health will never be as easy as finding one food or group of foods and eating them like there is no tomorrow.

There is plenty of nutrition websites where one can educate themselves in lieu listening to Dr. this, website this, etc. and letting someone else do your thinking.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,562,903 times
My daughter in law (mid 30s) has had "stomach"/digestion issues for long time--including bulimia/anorexia which started from parental abuse in her early life...
She was recently diagnosed with SIBO (hopefully that will prove accurate cause other reasons for her prolonged illnesses haven't always) and spinach is a food which is now off-limits to her
Just like chicken (which she has eaten in preference to beef most of her life) and other foods

I just think so much of this "info" is a spinning wheel of various talking points--
Lot of info -- often incorrect but strongly pushed by special interests--that people pick and choose as it relates to them...and many times they decry when something new comes along
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink