Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

So not only can you not use high heat on these pans but I also can’t use sponges to clean them either?

Just washed my saucepan with Dawn and my standard yellow green Scotch sponge and there’s scratches in the exterior and interior!
Not to mention that the bottom interior of the pan has what looks like rice water stains.

Is this metal really that soft and delicate?

Have had cheap stainless pans that don’t have these issues. The care instructions don’t say anything about no sponges! What are you supposed to do, use a baby wipe!?

Is all of this hassle and expense really worth it!? Someone please reassure me.

Last edited by sinatras; 11-10-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
So not only can you not use high heat on these pans but I also can’t use sponges to clean them either?

Just washed my saucepan with Dawn and my standard yellow green Scotch sponge and there’s scratches in the exterior and interior!
Not to mention that the bottom interior of the pan has what looks like rice water stains.

Have had cheap stainless pans that don’t have these issues. The care instructions don’t say anything about no sponges! What are you supposed to do, use a baby wipe!?

Sounds strange, we've had all clad pans for over a decade and have never had the problem you describe.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:19 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
Quote:

Are you 100% positive that there isn't something (a piece of broken glass for example) that isn't embedded in your sponge that you're not aware of? This sounds just bizarre. It might be worth calling or emailing All Clad? That just doesn't sound right!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:

Isn't the green part abrasive? Did you check the cleaning instructions before you purchased the pots?

Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times

Is this what you mean by "my standard yellow green Scotch sponge"?

If so, yes, I believe using the green part will scratch the stainless. When I got my first All-Clad pot, I scrubbed it clean with the Dobie pads I'd been using forever to clean my Le Creuset, and got the scratching you describe. I don't know if the Dobie pad is what scratched the finish or if it was the Barkeepers' Friend cleanser recommended by All-Clad. They also recommend cleaning with just a soft sponge, i.e., only the yellow part of your sponge, and Barkeepers' Friend. It's not as easy to gain purchase while scrubbing, however, with just a soft sponge.

I wonder whether a Dobie-type pad would inflict less deep scratches. I've never used one of the pictured "yellow-green" sponges.

Long story short, by the time I added more pieces, I had come to the conclusion that I didn't care about scratches on stainless steel. Having to baby a saucepan makes me crazier than having to look at scratches on it. It's a functional object—beautiful perhaps, but it's not sculpture. It's going to get scratched. Though it bothered me at first, I got used to it. The important thing is that all of my All-Clad works just the way it's supposed to. I don't notice, or even think about, the scratches except when I read a thread like this.

The Barkeepers' Friend is particularly useful at getting discoloration off the floor of the pan.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-10-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Switch to the blue, non-scratch Scotch scrubbie.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Is this what you mean by "my standard yellow green Scotch sponge"?

If so, yes, using the green part will scratch the stainless. When I got my first All-Clad pot, I scrubbed it clean with the Dobie pads I'd been using forever to clean my Le Creuset, and got the scratching you describe. I don't know if the Dobie pad is what scratched the finish or if it was the Barkeepers' Friend cleanser recommended by All-Clad. They do recommend cleaning with just a soft sponge, i.e., only the yellow part of your sponge, and Barkeepers' Friend.

Ultimately, I realized I didn't care about scratches on stainless steel. Having to baby something like that makes me crazier than having to look at scratches. It's a functional object, beautiful perhaps, but it's not sculpture. It's going to get scratched. It bothered me at first, but I got used to it.

The Barkeepers' Friend is particularly useful at getting discoloration off the floor of the pan.

YES that's the sponge I am using, thank you for posting the photo!!!!!!!!

But why does this stainless scratch? And my other (Cuisinart) stainless pots do not? Shouldn't this more expensive stainless be more, say, durable? Or scratch resistant?

Now I'm gonna have to get a sponge just for the All Clad, b/c I just know that the spouse will be using the green part on the All Clad in no time. B/c we have used those sponges for 30 years on everything else with no prob!

Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM

698 posts, read 567,720 times
The green part will scratch the shine off of granite countertops as well. This sounds like a case of user-error. Or perhaps the All-Clad was purchased at a backstreet bodega in Tijuana.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Switch to the blue, non-scratch Scotch scrubbie.
A special sponge for the All Clad. Oh brother. Like I said. Is this hassle worth it people?????

Old 11-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
The green part will scratch the shine off of granite countertops as well. This sounds like a case of user-error.
OMFG. I have been using that on my granite for YEARS. NOw I know why it's dull!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink