Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

I'm just cooking three things and my cost is over $49.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just my crazy cheesy potatoes dish costs $10.

But it has a pound of cheese in it....
That sounds really good!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
12 oz bag of cranberries is on sale this week for $.77 and fresh green beans are $.98/lb. It really isn't that costly. Biscuits can be made with pantry staples, as can the gravy. Butter is also fairly cheap, about $2 a lb.
Jealous! I haven’t seen butter that cheap in years. I try to buy it on sale for $3/lb around here. My stock-up target price used to be $2.

Edited to add: It is 2.29 this week at Aldi, but I’m rushing to finish two school projects before I leave town for the holiday. Woe is me. Hopefully I’ll get another chance at that price before my Christmas baking!

Old 11-18-2017, 11:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I know that it might come as a shock but there are a lot of people who can barely afford the $50 for a Thanksgiving meal but can still prepare the meal above for that amount.

I shared this thread with a few of my farmer friends and they were amused. Several of their wives said that they could prepare a bigger meal than that for the $50. Of course, it will be a meal from scratch and include items canned from the garden last summer.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
16 lb Turkey:$22.38
gallon of milk: $2.99
dozen rolls: $2.26
two nine-inch pie shells: $2.45
3-pound bag of sweet potatoes: $3.52
1 pound bag of green peas, $1.53
half-pint of whipping cream: $2.08
14-ounce package of cubed bread stuffing: $2.81
30-ounce can of pumpkin pie mix: $3.21
12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries: $2.43
1-pound veggie tray: $.74.
miscellaneous items (butter, evaporated milk, onions, eggs, sugar and flour), $2.72

Years ago Stop and Shop had the free turkey if you spent x $. It came in a big box with a bag potatoes, a bag of stuffing, a can of sweet potato and can of cranberry sauce. A few years later they stopped that and only gave the turkey for the x $ purchase. They started giving the big box with the turkey and supplies to people with vouchers from the Salvation Army. If I were in their position I would be glad to have that thanksgiving box.

Still, that list from the OP is one basic thanksgiving dinner. Where are the potatoes? What is the gallon of milk for? Why not buy a bag of potatoes instead of milk? Forget the pie shells and filling. Make some decent stuffing and maybe another vegetable and ask Aunt Kathy to bring a pie. Get Uncle Joe to bring some wine...

Old 11-18-2017, 01:55 PM

56 posts, read 34,554 times
i think its possible if you buy turkey breast only and have 2-3 sides. but yeah small portions and maybe no desert.

this year my mom died so i'm not celebrating anything. maybe someone will invite me over but i'm not holding my breath.

2015 i didn't make thanksgiving. 2016 i did now i'm glad that we had one last thanksgiving together.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm just cooking three things and my cost is over $49.
<sigh> But the point is, you don't HAVE to. You really CAN make a nice, tasty, turkey dinner for 10 people (1 serving each, very few leftovers) for $50 (as how many of us have already pointed out?). Whether you would WANT do, of course, is a different question, since again, as a lot of us have already posted, part of the fun or "tradition" of Thanksgiving is to have lots of leftovers to take home.

But you didn't even state WHAT your "three things" are or for how many people you are cooking, but you know, those things MATTER if you are comparing your list to the "official" list, which was I think the point of this thread ... yeah, I know, I'm sounding ornery, but it feels like there's a contest going on to see who has the most expensive Thanksgiving. Which is, you know, kind of the OPPOSITE of the point of "thanksgiving." IMHO.

(And to that, all I will add is, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. )

Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
<sigh> But the point is, you don't HAVE to. You really CAN make a nice, tasty, turkey dinner for 10 people (1 serving each, very few leftovers) for $50 (as how many of us have already pointed out?).
Doesn't matter how many times this is said, people who refuse to see/believe it will be vocal.

Sure, I could probably blow $50 on just the turkey...skip the sale birds, I could Probably go over $50 on just the bird alone, if not I could brine it in the most expensive water, salt, sugar, and spices I could find. Problem is, it wouldn't taste enough Better (maybe different) to warrant the money spent.

Heck, I could probably go over $50 with my cranberry sauce if I tried.

But people don't get it, that's not the point. The point is that it is POSSIBLE to do a full, tasty dinner for 10 with $50 and without any undue effort.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
My final word, & it’s on topic:

Has no one EVER made fresh cranberry sauce? It’s so much better than slime-in-a can, just fresh cranberries & sugar, recipe on the package of cranberries. You’ll have more from one package of cranberries than from a can & it tastes good & actually hasn’t had the nutrients cooked out of it. All grocery stores sell fresh cranberries at a loss this time of year...buy extra bags & put in the freezer.

Stuffing...good grief, use old bread, that’s what I have always done, or if you like corn bread stuffing, you’ll likely have corn meal. If you ever cook, you have spices on hand, plus butter or margarine, flour, cornstarch, some form of milk, eggs...those all aid in meal prep for gravy, rolls, mashed potatoes, pie crust.

Also, as I & many said before, most “traditional” Thanksgiving food items are on sale at all supermarkets...they want your business.

If people don’t know how to make gravy, message me...my mother never cooked, l learned through trial & error & one very old cookbook, pre-internet era. I’m not a pro, but I do all right.

When did having 150 different dishes/styles of food start to represent Thanksgiving? I guess I missed the memo.

One more thing...off topic, so I hope I don’t get checked on this...does anyone know about nmnita? She hasn’t posted for a few days & I always enjoy her...she posts in the food forum a lot...hope she is just on a trip.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
https://www.fb.org/podcast/average-t...cost-decreases

On what planet? Must be tiny portions
No way am I eating at their house. At Thanksgiving I like to EAT!!! I want seconds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink