Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:13 AM

379 posts, read 339,542 times

Advertisements

I ordered some stuffing for Thanksgiving tomorrow. However, since I'm going to be downtown for several hours before the gathering (far from home, at least 40 minute drive), I was planning to leave the stuffing and rolls in the car for up to 8 hours.

The stuffing is described as "sausage cornbread stuffing." Since it's fully cooked, is it OK to leave in the car and reheat later in the day or does it need to be refrigerated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:21 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
It should be refrigerated, absolutely.

Leaving it in the car for 8 hours is an invitation to food poisoning.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:27 AM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I would.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
It would be safer in the fridge. Unless you live in a really cold area, where it is as cold in your car as the fridge. It probably has some chicken broth in it.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
It would be safer in the fridge. Unless you live in a really cold area, where it is as cold in your car as the fridge. It probably has some chicken broth in it.
Thanks. Going to have to figure out how to work it out. Maybe a few extra hours drive time, but better safe than sorry.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:50 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,392 times
If you have a well-insulated cooler, you could keep the stuffing cool in that with dry ice. You can generally purchase dry ice at any grocery store. A large enough volume of dry ice in a well-sealed cooler should maintain the food at a safe temperature. Just make sure the cooler you take is big enough to accommodate both the container of food and the dry ice.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
If you have a well-insulated cooler, you could keep the stuffing cool in that with dry ice. You can generally purchase dry ice at any grocery store. A large enough volume of dry ice in a well-sealed cooler should maintain the food at a safe temperature. Just make sure the cooler you take is big enough to accommodate both the container of food and the dry ice.
I think I've got it arranged to drop off early so it will just be in my car for 30 minutes without being in the fridge (in transit).

Stupid question, almost afraid to ask, but it's a bad idea to refrigerate rolls since they dry out, right? You can tell I don't cook much.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
I ordered some stuffing for Thanksgiving tomorrow. However, since I'm going to be downtown for several hours before the gathering (far from home, at least 40 minute drive), I was planning to leave the stuffing and rolls in the car for up to 8 hours.

The stuffing is described as "sausage cornbread stuffing." Since it's fully cooked, is it OK to leave in the car and reheat later in the day or does it need to be refrigerated?
You should put it in the refrigerator. A cooler would also work.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Yes--

Old 11-22-2017, 01:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iuecon99 View Post
I think I've got it arranged to drop off early so it will just be in my car for 30 minutes without being in the fridge (in transit).

Stupid question, almost afraid to ask, but it's a bad idea to refrigerate rolls since they dry out, right? You can tell I don't cook much.
Are the rolls cooked, frozen, or the packaged kind that need to be heated in oven to be edible
Cooked and pkg are ok to leave in car as long as it won't be hot and make them "sweat"
They are in grocery store like that state

Frozen rolls should be kept frozen until the time to prepare them IMO
Maybe it says take them out to thaw 30 before cooking or hour before or to cook frozen out of pkg
Read instructions

I hate to let cold food get hot and hot food get cold--
We ordered a smoked turkey from our fav BBQ place
Went to get it--put it in the garage fridge right after the 15 min trip home
Will cut in half and reheat that half tomorrow--just 3 adults to eat it
Will see if there are leftovers for dinner--maybe not
Then we can heat the second half for next meal
I also don't like reheating prepared food more than once
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink