Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
^^^^ love you attitude.
Life is too short to sweat over gnocchi. Last night's pecan pies were iffy. Two did not want to leave the nice and warm muffin tin. Called it crumble and covered the disaster up with ice cream. BTW - melted vanilla ice cream makes great desert sauce. Sprinkle with a bit of cocoa or cinnamon and you will be a hero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I am great at baking, and I don't use precise measurements for the most part.

Cooking however, is not my thing at all!
That's me, too. I like to bake, but cooking I could take or leave it.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:43 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I happen to know a number of professional chefs and they all say baking is the hardest form of cooking...it's chemistry...not every good chef can do it.
Absolutely and I say this all the time. I can cook like no one's business but when it comes to baking, I'm a dork and I tend to not have as much patience. I ruined many cakes and cookies because in my haste, I either went a little over or a little under in certain ingredients.

I also made an apple cake overflow like lava in my oven because I assumed doubling the recipe meant doubling the baking powder (and a little extra since it was a big cake).

I've gotten much better at it though. I am very cautious about measurements (and my patience )

Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My restaurateur husband, who has both culinary AND biology degrees, said you need to weigh your ingredients and not measure them.

He said baking is actually a science.

Good luck!

PS He said to always test your scales before you bake with a pound of butter because no one is more precise than the butter industry and scales constantly get out of whack.

I watch a lot of Alton Brown shows on the food channels and almost all of his recipes are by weight unless he specifically says by measurement.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:20 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
My grandmother made a cake that always fell in the middle - but was delicious, buttery and rich. She called it her "sorry cake". She was a great baker, so I think the fallen part was part of the recipe. The recipes I've found for Sorry Cake aren't the same.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I’m trying my hand at this. Seems like it’s working. I’ll freeze one and use raspberry jam and pecans on the other, and glaze it. It’s my husband’s birthday tomorrow.

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/201..._medium=social

Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m trying my hand at this. Seems like it’s working. I’ll freeze one and use raspberry jam and pecans on the other, and glaze it. It’s my husband’s birthday tomorrow.

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/201..._medium=social

That looks really good, not too sweet!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That looks really good, not too sweet!
It really is! I used raspberry jelly and toasted pecans. I froze the second one.
Attached Thumbnails
Baking-7f317eb3-b953-4f35-b9ee-8c07fe3ace4b.jpeg  

Old 12-01-2017, 11:42 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It really is! I used raspberry jelly and toasted pecans. I froze the second one.
They seem to be identical to the Swedish kringle we get in the stores around here in the holiday season, they're yummy and nearly calorie-free and highly nutritious. The almond version is good, too. Got to have them with a great cup of coffee.

We used to have a family owned bakery downtown here in Naperville that had a great version, Tasty Bakery, but they had to move out because they couldn't afford the rent in the yuppified downtown. They moved to a strip mall, finally went out of business.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
They seem to be identical to the Swedish kringle we get in the stores around here in the holiday season, they're yummy and nearly calorie-free and highly nutritious. The almond version is good, too. Got to have them with a great cup of coffee.

We used to have a family owned bakery downtown here in Naperville that had a great version, Tasty Bakery, but they had to move out because they couldn't afford the rent in the yuppified downtown. They moved to a strip mall, finally went out of business.
People were saying that on the comments section. The first one is gone! So good. I have to work on the glaze. It was too loose, and pooled. I’m trying to replicate an amazing coffee cake our Safeway makes. They cycle recipes and it’s just about time it goes away. And lately...it hasn’t been that amazing. They are skimping on the raspberry jam.

This isn’t it, but it was an amazing first try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink