Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

My mom still has the same electric hand-mixer that she had when we were kids. I was baking cookies at her house last year while our kitchen was under renovation and used it and the smell brought back great memories. Not the smell of the cookies, but the weird (maybe hazardous?) smell of the motor. The cord is wrapped in that black and speckled fabric and the mixer weighs a ton - it must be 50 plus years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
I still have my mother's cookie cutters, along with the ones I bought as a bride in the '70's. Sadly, I see bags of metal cookie cutters for sale at local thrift stores every now and then -- apparently some families don't feel they are worth passing down or keeping. But someone else who values them, buys them - so it is all good!

Old 11-28-2017, 01:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
I have two of my grandmother's seasoned cast iron skillets and I use them regularly. I also have her old manual meat grinder but I don't use it at all - it is more of a keepsake to me.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I have two of my grandmother's seasoned cast iron skillets and I use them regularly. I also have her old manual meat grinder but I don't use it at all - it is more of a keepsake to me.

I use grandma's old hand crank grinder for making chow-chow and cranberry relish.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My mom still has the same electric hand-mixer that she had when we were kids. I was baking cookies at her house last year while our kitchen was under renovation and used it and the smell brought back great memories. Not the smell of the cookies, but the weird (maybe hazardous?) smell of the motor. The cord is wrapped in that black and speckled fabric and the mixer weighs a ton - it must be 50 plus years old.
Those were the days when they built appliances to last. Not like now when stuff craps out in a couple of years. 2 years ago I bought a Cuisinart hand mixer - is very lightly used. Now the plastic button that ejects the beaters is cracked and when that breaks (sooner than later), the mixer is done. It's cool that you can still use your mom's mixer!

I read that the sense of smell evokes the strongest memory retrieval response. I know for me, that's true. You're smelling the oil built into that old motor. But you connect that with lovely things from your childhood.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Not so much my memories but Mrs. NBP uses the FiestaWare bowls, Revere copper bottom pots and pans, dishes brought from Germany by my father that she salvaged at the fire sale that was my mother's household auction when she went to assisted living.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:45 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
I use daily my grandma’s Revere Ware pots. I have some of those red, yellow, blue and green bowls from my childhood but can’t remember the name now. And, I have a partial set of 1950s black handled set of utensils.
If they are Fiesta Ware, you may not want to use them for food prep, because the glazing on them is made at least in part from uranium - they are (mildly) radioactive. They are not really dangerous to have around, but (and I am a nuclear engineer) I wouldn't eat out of them.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
When I was younger, my mom and birth father went to NYC for Thanksgiving and I stayed with my BFF.

He gave me a twenty pound turkey and written instructions for how to cook it.

Since it is the only thing I have that was written by my birth father, I have it framed in floating glass and has been in all of my kitchens my entire life.

He passed when I was very young.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:56 PM

923 posts, read 526,569 times
Flat wooden "spoon"/spatula my kids gave me years ago. I've made a bunch of roux with it. Black on the bottom, worn to the perfect angle how I stir. It's what I use to stir everything. Spaghetti sauce gets the flat end, stir the pasta with the handle.
Takes me back every time to how excited they were, when they were little, that they got that for me for Christmas. Even told me what it was before I opened it! lol!

Son was in his spiderman undies, daughter was in her night gown going "commando". lol It was 5:09 am, cold, dry, and dark outside. They got up early cause I woke them up. I had every Christmas light turned on in the house, bright enough to wake the cattle up. I just got in from feeding livestock. Was quiet, cold, crisp, and you could see every star in the sky. Everything was at peace. Then the kids started unwrapping. Reminded me of the 4th of July. Sweat, tears, paper and lights fly'n everywhere.

The undies and gown are gone now that they are in college, but every Christmas the fireworks are still there.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If they are Fiesta Ware, you may not want to use them for food prep, because the glazing on them is made at least in part from uranium - they are (mildly) radioactive. They are not really dangerous to have around, but (and I am a nuclear engineer) I wouldn't eat out of them.
They're not Fiesta Ware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink