Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:20 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nut roll like povitica? That's what we make, here.

Yes and it is so delicious.

- and the smell of it baking in the oven is heavenly when it is near completed! The fun part was after it cooled just enough and the 'logs' are pulled apart and snitching some of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 05:35 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Cranberries and sugar are all you need. Orange juice and zest are nice options. Sometimes I add a few chopped walnuts. I tasted a cranberry sauce I liked the other day that had cinnamon and maybe cloves. But again, as long as you have cranberries and sugar, you can make cranberry sauce.
I use orange juice instead of water, a bit of cinnamon and a large, finely chopped apple. It's the only cranberry sauce most of my family will eat. I'm not a fan of cranberry sauce myself and I started doing this about 10 yrs ago so I could tolerate it.. lol.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Yes and it is so delicious.

- and the smell of it baking in the oven is heavenly when it is near completed! The fun part was after it cooled just enough and the 'logs' are pulled apart and snitching some of it.
I have no clue what that is, but it looks AMAZING!

Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I have no clue what that is, but it looks AMAZING!
You took the words right out of my mouth (the same mouth that would eat that up in a minute flat).

Old 12-01-2017, 07:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-po...vitica-1137159

It is great stuff. My MIL was raised in a Croatian, Slovenian, and Slovakian parish, and although she's Irish Catholic, learned to make it with the other church ladies. So, so good.

Whether you call it potica, povitica, nut roll, or something else depends largely on the ethnicity involved. I like the walnut and honey best, but poppy seed and citrus filling is also traditional and good. There is a local bakery here that makes them commercially (actually profiled in the above), and they do lots of novelty fillings in addition to the more traditional. They're really good, but the old school here will tell you they're not traditional. Hah!

Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-po...vitica-1137159

It is great stuff. My MIL was raised in a Croatian, Slovenian, and Slovakian parish, and although she's Irish Catholic, learned to make it with the other church ladies. So, so good.

Whether you call it potica, povitica, nut roll, or something else depends largely on the ethnicity involved. I like the walnut and honey best, but poppy seed and citrus filling is also traditional and good. There is a local bakery here that makes them commercially (actually profiled in the above), and they do lots of novelty fillings in addition to the more traditional. They're really good, but the old school here will tell you they're not traditional. Hah!

Reading the article made me recall two stories in our family. First, my mom parent's side were Croatian and she would make it around the holidays but when I was a little kid while we always liked mom's Potica (She used a Slovenian cookbook) - we were reluctant to admit that a cousin's - who whenever he would visit during the holidays - was better. So we got my mom to get the recipe as it was a little bit more moist and dense in the filling. I think it was the honey, butter and volume of nuts with a hint of almond.

Fast forward a few years, and another cousin (younger brother of the above cousin - nut roll recipe) lived with us for a year when his mother died. He was teen at the time and tended to over exaggerate his love for certain food favorites by making big claims ( I could eat a side of a cow type things). One time he said to my mom "I could eat a whole large pizza for dinner!". So my mom fixed him by agreeing to buy him a whole large pizza. Unbeknownst to him she also made one of her usually great east European hearty dinners (I think it was pierogi - dad's parent's side were Polish / Ukrainian) with potica for dessert.

Well, after my teen cousin reluctantly got through the whole pizza, he had no room for the dessert. After this incident it became a running joke in our family as we'd recall his remorse at making such bold claims but then missing out on the delicacy.

Thereafter, every time my mom would make the potica I would say, "I bet I could eat a whole roll!". She would give me this look and refused to take me up on my claim stating confidently, "I'm sure you can".

I have a funny photo of myself in college years holding a whole roll as if I am about to devour it. I also loved the placing of the bakery towel over the large pan after it came out of the oven and flipping it over to let them cool off a little before the 'logs' were broken apart. Something about the slight caramelized butter in the pan that dripped down after buttering the top and that rich sweet dough is such a confectionary delight.

My mom also made the poppy seed type as well as the poppy seed Bundt cake around the holidays. The other delicacy were the kolacky (ko-lach- kee) cookies with either apricot, cherry or the nut fill (same as nut roll). Smell and taste are best triggers for great memories.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 12-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-02-2017, 08:08 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
That's true! Whenever I make cranberry sauce, which is every November and December, I have to admit I cannot remember every detail of the ingredients.
Made me chuckle, diva.

And not just memory loss but some good cooks don't like to share their special recipes. My mother swore that there were women in town who, when sharing recipes, would change them "just a little" so no one could ever duplicate their specialty.

I don't know if it was a joke with her or if she was serious but she didn't divulge all her secret techniques for a favorite casserole of the family's to me for over forty years. It was kind of a fun game. Maybe every ten years or so she'd let me in on another secret ingredient.

When I posted I was thinking about an aunt's recipe for sour cream sugar cookies that I'd eaten as a child. I guess no one in the family had ever thought to ask her for her recipe and now there was no one who knew which one she used.

My grandmother on my father's side left Norway and settled in IA on the Mississippi River. By the time she was living in the town where I grew up she had lost two husbands and raised a blended family. She ran a boarding house for the teachers in town and took baking orders to make money.

I don't think there was anything that woman couldn't bake. On Saturday mornings her whole kitchen would be full of baked goods waiting to be picked up. Everything was done in a wood burning stove.

My Easter Pavlova recipe is from her collection. And she had a springerle cookie press, a set of pans for making a checkerboard cake, all kinds of odd utensils for pastry making.

The cousin who does genealogy hasn't been able to find out much about her and sometimes I'm so curious about how she learned her sophistication in the kitchen. A mystery!

Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have a small yellow ware bowl that was a wedding present to my parents in 1935. It has a crack down the side and is no longer usable. I also have a vintage hand mixer, a meat mallet, an aluminum measuring cup, a meat fork with handle made from animal bone, a potato ricer and a vintage 1930s wooden rolling pin with red handles. I still use them all except for the bowl, which I keep in the kitchen cabinet where I can see it every day.
That is grandma's rolling pin! When I cleaned out mom's house, it wasn't there. Her old kitchen scale was gone. The family bible? Gone. Generations of names and signatures.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It was vintage red. More of an orange color, really. Original Red Vintage Homer Laughlin Pottery: Fiesta, Kitchen Kraft, Harlequin, Riviera, Red Stripe, Mexicana and Decalware Pottery For Sale

These are the ones I got from my grandmother, by Pyrex.
I have the yellow one!

Also, a shallow but wide no-name bowl, with a blue pattern on gray-white ground. I didn't inherit or keep much, but wish I'd kept more (pastry cutter, garlic press, egg slicer), because as others have said, much of today's cookware is junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink