Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 06:14 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times

Advertisements

I have found myself lately virtually obsessed with finding a good cheddar with crystals. In the past I seem to have had no problem finding it but lately I continuously strike out. Does anyone and yes I already googled it, have a trick or the knowledge on what to look for exactly when picking out cheese? I love trying new kinds but forget to note the ones I really like.
Maybe some brand recommendations? I have tried aged, super aged, imported, local artisian, etc. and lately maybe the last 6-8 months, no crystals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
You're in Massachussetts. Go north to Quechee, Vt or maybe you have a Cabot Creamery Outlet store more local. The store in Quechee has all their cheeses available for tasting. Maybe you'll find something you'll like. Haven't been there in a year or so but they definitely had some crystalline cheeses on my last visit. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
You're in Massachussetts. Go north to Quechee, Vt or maybe you have a Cabot Creamery Outlet store more local. The store in Quechee has all their cheeses available for tasting. Maybe you'll find something you'll like. Haven't been there in a year or so but they definitely had some crystalline cheeses on my last visit. Good luck!
Thanks! Quechee is a haul, maybe 4 hours, for me. It will be on my list to visit someday. Although honestly I am not a huge fan of Cabot.
Grafton Cheese in Brattleboro is closer. Maybe I could manage a trip sometime in December. Even if I don't find what I am looking for it will be time well spent!
Now if I could just find a sure thing locally!

Edit: I take it back. Quechee is only two and a half hours. Much more manageable for a day trip. I must have been thinking of one of favorite cities, Burlington.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Yes, magicshark. You need to find a good cheese shop and ask for help if you're anything like me. I think any good sized city would have a deli that could help you.

DD buys a divine bleu cheese with crystals that you'd need to mortgage the house for.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I love cheese. Just wanted to get that fact out of the way.

The only cheese that I've ever had that had crystals -- I didn't even know that was "a thing" -- is Dubliner, which I got/get at Costco. While I can't help you source cheddar with crystals, you might want to give Dubliner a try, even though it's a totally different flavor.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:50 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Black Diamond Grand Reserve is a wonderful, aged cheddar that usually has crystals...(crystals form usually after 2 years plus of aging) and is very popular.

Made in Canada and has won so many rewards, this cheese is much better than Dubliner and others IMO, but is hard to find in stores...igourmet sells it online. Not cheap but always delicious with that sharp bite we love.

After eating many varieties of cheese for DECADES, this brand is my favorite.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, magicshark. You need to find a good cheese shop and ask for help if you're anything like me. I think any good sized city would have a deli that could help you.

DD buys a divine bleu cheese with crystals that you'd need to mortgage the house for.
I suppose I should. I frequent plenty of places but I am not very outgoing. I am going to have suck it up and ask questions. And now I need to try a blue cheese with crystals. Sounds crazy good!

Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

The only cheese that I've ever had that had crystals -- I didn't even know that was "a thing" -- is Dubliner, which I got/get at Costco. While I can't help you source cheddar with crystals, you might want to give Dubliner a try, even though it's a totally different flavor.
I was going to list that one!!!! I just finished it off last night.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

You are not alone in your cheese love. I am truly a freak about cheese.
I have seen Dubliner. I thought I tried it at some point but I try so many I could be mistaken. I know that Big Y sells it. I'll pick it up on my next trip!

Old 11-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Black Diamond Grand Reserve is a wonderful, aged cheddar that usually has crystals...(crystals form usually after 2 years plus of aging) and is very popular.

Made in Canada and has won so many rewards, this cheese is much better than Dubliner and others IMO, but is hard to find in stores...igourmet sells it online. Not cheap but always delicious with that sharp bite we love.

After eating many varieties of cheese for DECADES, this brand is my favorite.
This brand sounds vaguely familiar. I am not positive if I tried it or not. I will search for it in my travels. I can make a trip to Wegman's I suppose. The one near me has the most extensive cheese section I think I have ever seen in a grocery store. Of course there is always Murray's if all else fails.
I have been buying cheddar that is aged at least five years but lately no crystals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink