Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I mean to include all cooking devices that is powered by electricity, such as electric range, rice cooker, slow crock pot cooker, electric skillet, etc, etc. The No. 1 concern is safety.

I know gas stove has the risk of CO poisoning and fire hazard, but in case of electric cookware, it's often used when one is away for extended time, some people leave it on, then go to work, then return home to turn it off to enjoy a ready made meal. I think this is dangerous. Also the joint points of some power cable to the cookware are not well made and could wear out exposing the wire. Etc.

Cooking on electric cookware usually takes longer time than stove-cooking. It may cost more, too? The only electric cookware I use is the rice cooker.
Safety? You can burn yourself on anything hot not matter what heats it. Electric fires aren't common. I don't know of anyone who's ever had a CO problem due to their stove. Both electric and gas stoves pose a fire risk if you don't have a clue what you're doing. Leaving a dishtowel on a hot stove no matter the heat source will cause a fire. Pouring grease all over the top of a hot stove - electric or gas - can cause a fire. Simple common sense.

You leave your tv plugged in all day. Your washer is plugged in all day. Your refrigerator is plugged in all day. They're all drawing power. What kind of appliances are you buying where the power cable isn't well made? Buy only those who are marked UL and you'll be fine. You'll see exposed wiring before plugging it in. Sounds like a lot of paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 03:38 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Electric cookware? How else would one make toast without an electric appliance? I don't see most people starting a camp fire and sitting there with the toaster basket toasting bread in the mornings.
Actually, though I have not seen one for many years, there is a rack that sits on a gas burner that will toast 4 pieces of bread.

Electric is the only option in many areas of the country.[/quote]

Not true. There may not be nat gas piped in from the street, but even if there is no propane delivery service one can certainly get a couple of 100lb propane tanks and hook them up to run a gas range (must be set up for propane, there is a slight difference in nat gas and propane setups). Sure, it may be a PITA to have to take the tanks to get them filled, but for someone who really wants gas it is an option. That's what I'll be doing.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:48 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have no control when cooking on this damn electric glass sheet. With gas I'm sure you can control your heat, instantly, to the degree. It makes me feel like I'm cooking and every single thing I know how to cook, I learned on gas. With this electric, supposedly easy to clean (lie) thing, the cooktop is in control and I'm trying to get my things to work out playing musical burners and learning to cook all over again with two settings: off and blazing hot. I HATE it. I have gas for heat, and while gas was so cheap growing up, and electric so expensive, that the idea of any unnecessary electric appliance made me gasp, now I worry if I was able to convert, what it would cost to cook.

The only electric "appliance" I use regularly by choice is the microwave.
Have you tried an induction burner? I love gas too, but you can get a single induction burner for not too much money, and it will behave more like gas.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I've never used anything but electricity for cooking. I won't even visit in a house that has a gas connection.
Seriously??? Your risk of getting killed driving to their home is WAY higher than a gas leak or explosion from a kitchen gas stove.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 AM

136 posts, read 136,092 times
My wife I both grew up and learned to cook in homes with gas ranges. But we spent the first 20+ years of our marriage living in military family quarters and apartments and rental homes where electric ranges with coil elements were our only choices. We adapted.

Our first home had a newly remodeled kitchen with a top of the line glass top range. We loved it, and never looked back. When the time came to renovate and replace the appliances there was another top of the line glass top installed.

The gas vs. electric for cooking debate is as strongly opinionated as the Mac vs. PC in computers or Canon vs. Nikon in photography. There certainly are some differences and both have their pluses and minuses. In the end it comes down more to personal preference and the skill of the chef. I can assure you that with our glass top electric we turn out meals every bit as nicely cooked and tasty as anyone with a gas appliance.

As for small cooking appliances, we have a Foreman Grill (the model with removable plates for easier cleanup) we use for chicken, burgers and salmon when we can't use the outdoor grill; and a large griddle for breakfast and grilled sandwiches when the grand kids visit.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I thought you meant like.. electric skillets.. etc. (which I don't like using because I hate cleaning the things). I have a commercial style range with the gas top and electric oven. I love it. I feel that I have greater control. When I"m at either of my daughters or moms and cook.. they have electric, it's fine too but I like my gas better. I particularly like to have a gas cooktop in case of power failures.
During the super tornado outbreak in 2011(?) We had no power for 8 or 9 days but I had a good functioning stovetop to cook with.
True, but when you're using a non-stick electric skillet, you get to get to sing and dance around the kitchen.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Things cook better in gas ovens. Steak recipe I had while cooked in electric oven, very difficult to get just right, always seemed to get overdone or just not that great. When we bought our first home, it had a gas stove--man that steak turned out worlds different in that oven compared to the electric. It actually tasted like a really good steak. I grew up on gas stoves, so I prefer it over electric. Never cared for electric, but it was what I was using while I lived on my own (was in the rentals).

Our second home the owners had an electric oven but we bought a gas range and are going to convert soon. So my good reason is that things taste much better when cooked with gas compared to electric. Wouldn't know why that is, but that's my experience with it.
If you mean "gas broiler" rather than "gas oven", then sure. I agree.

My perfect range would have an electric oven. They hold constant temperature better than a gas oven which cools, ignites the burner, and then overshoots. It would also have a gas broiler since an electric broiler is pretty much useless. On the stovetop, I'd like one electric element for boiling water quickly. I did a VRBO rental in Spain last year that had an induction range. That boiled water amazingly fast. The other burners, I want gas since it's so much easier to visually see what you're doing.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I couldn't cook half the stuff I do on an electric range.
I'll bet I could.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Actually, though I have not seen one for many years, there is a rack that sits on a gas burner that will toast 4 pieces of bread.

Electric is the only option in many areas of the country.
Not true. There may not be nat gas piped in from the street, but even if there is no propane delivery service one can certainly get a couple of 100lb propane tanks and hook them up to run a gas range (must be set up for propane, there is a slight difference in nat gas and propane setups). Sure, it may be a PITA to have to take the tanks to get them filled, but for someone who really wants gas it is an option. That's what I'll be doing.[/quote]

That propane idea of yours won't pass code in many places. I know nothing like that would pass here!

How exactly does a person get 100# propane tanks filled if there isn't a company who delivers? Is it legal to drive around with these in a vehicle? How on earth do you move them? They're going to weigh a ton!

I can't imagine cooking on gas is worth this much work. Might away raise your own cows and have them processed, too.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I use induction cooktop for most cooking except for slow precise cooking I use gas. With induction it cooks faster and uses less energy. There's no carbon monoxide to worry about so it's safer.

With gas cooking you must have a range hood even for water boiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink