Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times

Advertisements

do you guys really have a problem with nuts in mash potatoes? its being inventive with food. i would love to try nuts in my potatoes! it would alter the consistency and provide a contrast in taste.

of course i would not want them if im allergic to them, so i would make sure the server/waiter knows what up with me and my allergies.

but nuts in potatoes sound good! i htink i will try that next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
It's possible that the brazil nuts were in the pesto.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
I think the restaurant should DEFINITELY have given you at least a discount and an apology, even if they did it as a 'goodwill gesture' (keeping themselves disclaimed from fault).

However, I wonder what happens when you ask a waiter if they can guarantee there are no nuts in any of their dishes - what kitchen can possibly do that?

It must be hard for food allergy sufferers to ever eat out....

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
do you guys really have a problem with nuts in mash potatoes? its being inventive with food. i would love to try nuts in my potatoes! it would alter the consistency and provide a contrast in taste.

It's not that it's a bad idea to try something different - but food allergies are an increasing problem and there are certain things that many, many people are allergic to and I believe the thing most people are allergic to are nuts.
Therefore you don't use chunks of nut 'hidden' in something without mentioning it on the menu.

I agree they could have put 'nutty mashed potatoe' on the menu and that could be very attractive to people - and those with nut allergies would know not to order that particular dish.

Every one wins in that scenario. Hiding them is the part I have a problem with.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

It must be hard for food allergy sufferers to ever eat out....:confused

:
It is, but fortunately brazil nuts are only very seldom used. I'm lucky - it would be worse if it was peanuts as they appear much more often and you can have peanuts oils in things you wouldn't expect.
As I've mentioned we eat out a LOT (3 times + per week) and this is the first time I've been caught out with brazil nuts in savoury food.

I am careful with desserts - but as I don't have dessert very often it's not too much of a problem.

I do need to be more careful though - the reaction is very nasty and I don't fancy finding out what would happen if I were too far from a doctor or hospital. So far I've been lucky and don't want to push my luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
It is, but fortunately brazil nuts are only very seldom used. I'm lucky - it would be worse if it was peanuts as they appear much more often and you can have peanuts oils in things you wouldn't expect.
As I've mentioned we eat out a LOT (3 times + per week) and this is the first time I've been caught out with brazil nuts in savoury food.

I am careful with desserts - but as I don't have dessert very often it's not too much of a problem.

I do need to be more careful though - the reaction is very nasty and I don't fancy finding out what would happen if I were too far from a doctor or hospital. So far I've been lucky and don't want to push my luck!
So glad you are alright! What a frightening incident!!! I have never heard of using brazil nuts in potatoes OR pesto! Everyone knows pine nuts are used in pesto!!! Using brazil nuts would be like cooking cod and calling it flounder.

I wanted to mention something. You said the woman at the restaurant corrected you and said - the nuts were not in the potatoes - they were in the pesto. Hmmmm. Sounds to me someone is trying to cover themselves over a liability issue. If no one mentions the nuts are in the potatoes, then any "reasaonable person" would never suspect brazil nuts in potatoes! However, since pine nuts are used in pesto, the logic may be - well, the customer should have never been ordering a "nut" product w/o inquiring about its ingredients. So they shift the "fault" to you w/ this scenario.

You clearly asked the waiter what was in the potatoes and he carried out brazil nuts, right? Or did I read something incorrectly?

Attorneys advise clients to not even send a sympathy card when someone is killed in an incident that may end up in litigation - b/c by that mere gesture, it can infer that one is accepting responsibility for the incident.

I am wondering if that is the policy of this restaurant - just ignore things that may occur - so no one will say you are assuming any part of the "fault" for food related emergencies. Pretty sad, but I really wonder if that is what went on here. Then - after you insisted someone address the issue, they still wanted to quibble over the tip! Geeeeezzz. They felt they should not have to refund a tip that did not go into their coffers. I wish you had submitted your ER bill to them. See how they quibble about that.

My mother ended up in the hospital w/ food poisoning after dining in a restaurant (no one else got ill) and they were begging to pay her ER bill and have her sign a release agreeing not to sue them. So this is unreal how you have been treated.

These people are just trying to cover their hineys every way possible. They know they are in the wrong or they would not have handled things this way!!!! By acting like - hey, not our fault - we did nothing wrong - why should we show any concern - they have actually created a worse situation for themselves. The truth is as others have stated - someone could end up dying over hidden ingredients in the food!

I am just glad you are alright. WHEW!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
As a former restaurant owner I'm going to chime in here.

#1. The restaurant should have a full description on the menu of what the ingredients are.

#2. You need to ask if there isn't that full description.

#3. Yes, send a certified letter to the owner AFTER you get your credit. Thank them for it and then let them know that by putting things in foods that are not "normally" in there that they are opening themselves up to a law suit. Include a copy of your hospital bill. Don't ask for payment unless you want to. See what happens. Also include how your husband was treated by the "manager."

#4. After you get the notice that your letter was received call the newspaper and/or your local news station. Ask to speak to the person that handles health news. Tell them what happened and that you would like to take part in a PSA (public service announcement) or an article about the dangers of food allergies. NEVER MENTION THE RESTAURANT'S NAME. You could get sued.

#5. If you are still POed look on line. There is bound to be a web site where you can go to post reviews like this one. This is the one that I used.

#6. Call an attorney. Just to CYA.

#7. If this ever happens (to anyone out there) in the future yell, "HELP! CALL 911. FOOD ALLERGY." If you feel you can not wait for an ambulance LEAVE. They will not call the cops for nonpayment IF you called for an ambulance. If they do call the cops...sue their donkey.

I had several people that had food allergies that frequented my restaurant. I bent over backward to accommodate them. That is what I went into business for, to serve people.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So glad you are alright! What a frightening incident!!! I have never heard of using brazil nuts in potatoes OR pesto! Everyone knows pine nuts are used in pesto!!! Using brazil nuts would be like cooking cod and calling it flounder.
You are right, but nowadays pesto is just a word (originally meaning 'crushed' - to a paste) that newer chefs play with and make changes to - I have a recipe book by Antonio Carluccio, giving a dozen 'pesto' recipes using different nuts and ingredients pounded to a paste.

For example this Giada recipe uses walnuts Recipes : Mushroom Pesto Crostini : Food Network (but doesn't mention walnuts in the title), and this one, hazelnuts Recipes : Gnocchi with Asian Hazelnut Pesto and Wild Mushroom RagoutLeftovers: Pesto Soup with Mushroom Dumplings : Food Network

So if you have any sort of nut allergy please watch out for 'pesto' !!!!! pesky pesto

Last edited by southdown; 03-27-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Bottom line...this matter was completely ill handled by the restaurant, IMHO.
A justified apology, along with waiving the food bill, and offering assistance with the hospital bill would have all made it "go away", and left everyone involved happy and satisfied.
Not responding to the important issue, is causing anger, frustration and creating a "snowball effect".
Even WITH a proper description of ingredients in menu items....things CAN and DO happen.
But, it's up to the restaurant to immediately handle the situation accordingly, and to make it right.
I think, that particular restaurant manager "missed" his calling, and shouldn't be holding the job position he has. (Sleeping and dragging his feet, are not desirable attributes for a management position!)
Quick and proper response is vital...especially in that branch of business.
If you are not satisfied as a customer, then something is still amiss.....customers/ consumers DO have rights.
I would proceed further, if necessary.
Don't forget.....someone else visiting that restaurant might end up worse then you did.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times
Im sorry, but if I was allergic to something that could kill me, Id make sure and ask everytime I ate out, what was in the dish.

The Resturant should have had a note on the menu, but the ultimate responsibility is YOURS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink