Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How thick do you like your shake?
I want it to stay in the cup when inverted 8 7.48%
I like it in-between so I can eat it then drink it 39 36.45%
I like to drink it through a straw 60 56.07%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Reminder, in some states, a "milk shake" is milk with added flavorings, shaken. The thick thing is referred to as a "frappe."

I don't like shakes. I do like frappes. I like them thick enough that when I tip the cup, it kinda all globs back in - well - globs. Completely stationary is too thick, that's just soft-serve ice cream, to me. I want to drink it through a straw, but a THICK straw, and maybe need the spoon-straw so I can spoon up the first couple of inches worth before it's warmed up enough to suck down with the straw part of it. Cheek inversion is acceptable - being unable to achieve cold-mouthness due to over-thick semi-frozen liquid is not.

Also - chocolate only. With no add-ins.
What states are those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:34 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
All I will say is ... **** McDonalds

Old 12-11-2017, 09:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
I like to be able to consume with a Big straw pretty much right away.

Wendy's Frosty gives me instant Brain Freeze. Tasty but

This thread gave me Brain Freeze just reading it.

TU
Yes, I crave a fresh banana shake and burger meal every time I open this thread

I like thick shakes......so I'd say medium thick.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:10 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Thin enough to just pour. In the past I'd order what in the Chicago area is called a "Boston milkshake" -- a milkshake with a scoop of ice cream added. In other parts of the country, a Boston milkshake will get you a shake with a sundae on top. In Boston, what's called a milkshake elsewhere is called a frappe, and as far as I know they don't put scoops of ice cream in their frappes.

No wonder I've struggled to keep my weight down for most of my life.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:49 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Not too thick but thick enough that I can eat with a spoon and thin enough I can drink with a straw. McDonald's shakes were good about 30 years ago now it's all fake stuff and preservatives. Carvel has great shakes too.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Not too thick but thick enough that I can eat with a spoon and thin enough I can drink with a straw. McDonald's shakes were good about 30 years ago now it's all fake stuff and preservatives. Carvel has great shakes too.
Best shakes around here in my opinion are at Oberweis Dairy (unfortunately, one's only a few blocks from my house so I have to limit my visits to maintain my waistline) and Culver's, a Wisconsin frozen custard chain (rich and full-fat custard). Ohh, my.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:29 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Default I made my first milkshake! YUM!!

Well, I TOLD you you were all making me crave a milkshake ... so today when I went to the grocery store, I made sure to buy whole milk (I usually use 2% in my coffee and skim milk in cereal or "straight") and chocolate syrup -- I already had vanilla ice cream in the freezer. (Doesn't everyone? )

So after dinner, I got out my new little blender, put a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream in it, added maybe a teaspoon of vanilla (figured it couldn't hurt), added a couple of ounces of milk, and squirted in some chocolate syrup. (Nope, I didn't measure anything -- just kind of eyeballed it. But seriously, it's milk and ice cream and chocolate syrup ... how could it go wrong? ) I blended for maybe 5 seconds, then pulsed it a couple of times, then spooned it all into my glass.

It turned out great!

As I wrote earlier, I like THICK shakes, and this one was. I used a spoon at first, then drank the last few ounces. YUM!!

So thanks again to Dirt Grinder for starting a fun thread ... and encouraging us (OK, me!) to experiment a little!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I bought a chocolate shake yesterday that was so thick I couldn't drink it for 45 minutes. It didn't come with a spoon, so it's not like it could be eaten like ice cream.

I know some people like a shake that can be turned upside down and stay in the cup/glass, and others, like me, prefer a shake that one can immediately drink through a straw.

So... do you like to eat your shake with a spoon or drink it?
That's how I like my shakes, too. If I wanted a really thick shake that I need a spoon, I would have gotten ice cream instead, like those Dairy Queen Blizzards.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
Quote:
How thick do you like your shake?
To be honest, I've never thought about it. I was just happy if I had one. The consistency of it never ruined my day.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What states are those?
New England (I think they called them frappes in CT when I lived there, as well as neighboring MA):

https://newengland.com/today/food/ne...ppes-cabinets/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink